No announcement yet.

Ian's B6T Festiva build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ian , you might want to change the lower crossover housing . It's going to be very tight getting a hose on it with the stock ac comp on there .
    New build on the way .

Comment

• Originally posted by shadetree View Post
      Ian , you might want to change the lower crossover housing . It's going to be very tight getting a hose on it with the stock ac comp on there .
      I'm going to be looking at that soon. I read Mike's thread on that topic.
      Ian
      Calgary AB, Canada
      93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
      59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

• This is the duct work out of the red car. All cleaned up and ready to put in the project car. Glad the car had not been smoked in, at least tor the last 13 years
        Ian
        Calgary AB, Canada

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Comment

• Originally posted by shadetree View Post
          Ian , you might want to change the lower crossover housing . It's going to be very tight getting a hose on it with the stock ac comp on there .
          Got the coolant crossover figured out. Used the Festiva part that bolts up to the water pump so the rad hose will clear the A/C compressor. The Fedtiva pipe will not clear the waste gate actuator so I cut 2.5" put of the B6T pipe and welded it back together. This gives me the correct number of take offs.

Before cutting.

Marked up.

Ready to weld up.

Finished product.

Ian
          Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

• ^^^ It's a little tight at the block heater outlet so may require a little bit of "adjustment" once I permanently install it.

Now I know the A/C compressor will be OK and I should be able to use the stock lower rad hose.

Ian
            Last edited by fastivaca; 01-28-2016, 07:29 PM.
            Ian
            Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

• Good idea with that pipe Ian! Here's a hint. Buy some fireproof heat reflective sleeve and put it over that pipe. Things get really hot around that pipe with the turbine there and the exhaust manifold. The B6t tends to boil the coolant after you shut it off if you don't protect that pipe. When they boil they can overflow the coolant bottle.
              Here are a couple pictures of the sleeve on Tweak. It worked like a charm.

Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

• Thanks Charlie. Where would I find that material? I checked at the localMcParts store and they didn't have any.
                Ian
                Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

• Same place I buy everything. Lol eBay. I think Summitt, Jeggs and other race supply places carry it.
                  Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

• Ian I used similar tape on a header in my old Omni ice racer that was too close to the starter. Even just the insulating wrap tape designed for headers will do what you need, although reflective is likely better. I no longer remember where I bought it, but between Part Source, Canadian Tire, Mopac, JB's Power Centre and that other auto supplier in Calgary that we do not have in Edmonton (so I forget their name) I am sure you can pick up a roll. Even if it is not reflective. it will do the job.
                    I get killed on internet shipping from the States on most small orders. Summit wanted $41 US to ship a $4 bag of plastic clips by UPS the other day, and I settled for $12 by USPS, but still steep for an ounce of parts. Of course, they were special clips for racing, so what could I do?
                    Last edited by Icedawg; 01-29-2016, 10:55 AM.
                    Thricetiva replaced Icetiva as the new ride
                    Icetiva-3-race-car-build
                    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2533299

Comment

• The stuff I used is a sleeve for protecting hose. They gotta have it in Canada too. You guys have hosers up there to aye.

It's DEI 010419 Heat Sheath if you want to look it up. It's around 10 bucks a foot down here.
                      Last edited by Advancedynamix; 01-29-2016, 01:21 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                        The stuff I used is a sleeve for protecting hose. They gotta have it in Canada too. You guys have hosers up there to aye.
                        Just ordered some along with some stainless zip ties from a local speed shop. New transmission mounts should be here on Monday, right side engine mount is already fabbed. Things are getting close. Charlie, did you see my question regarding the plug next to the 323GT fuel pump relay?
                        Ian
                        Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

• Yeah, I saw that. I'm not sure if you need it. I never ran one in either of my cars, but they are all running on custom harnesses and I ditched a lot of that sort of stuff. I may have one in my box of extra wiring and crap.

Comment

• The wiring diagram shows one of the seven wires as coming from the knock box. The others are coming from the ECU, combination switch and rear defrost and going to ground, cooling fan relay and blower control. I'm wondering if all this does is kick the fan on when there's added load. If that's the case then I think it would ve safe to run without it as the fan is still controlled by the Festiva harness.
                            Last edited by fastivaca; 01-29-2016, 03:16 PM.
                            Ian
                            Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

• I think it shuts all that off during cranking for faster start ups, but I could be wrong.

Comment

• Quick update:

- wiring completed
                                - heater and A/C boxes back in
                                - dash vents all hooked up.

I believe I'm at the "tipping point" where I've gone from "will I ever get this running" to "OK, February 15 looks very doable".

I will get the interior back in tomorrow night. The new transmission mounts I ordered should be here tomorrow as well so the engine and transmission can go back in very soon.

One of my grand-daughters asked me today if the seats were in the car yet in anticipation of a promised ride!
                                Ian
                                Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

Working...
                                X