Clear All

• Originally posted by Green Bean View Post
    Looks good .
    Thank you!
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

• New timing cover bits! They even came with new gaskets/seals already installed...

I will post some old vs. new photos later along with the new parts installed. Next steps... put the engine and transmission together and drop them in the engine bay!!!!
      Last edited by fastivaca; 02-18-2016, 01:11 PM.
      Ian
      Calgary AB, Canada

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Comment

• Some progress tonight.

- new timing cover pieces installed
        - pulleys mounted up, including the one for the A/C
        - engine off engine stand for the first time in a long time
        - 323 oil pan modified to clear axle from E-series transmission
        - spacer plate mounted
        - flywheel cleaned up and installed
        - pressure plate cleaned up and..... darn it, I'm missing a couple of lock washers.

Oh, well it was getting late anyway, I'll find them tomorrow and finish installing the clutch.

Next up... bolt up the transmission and then drop everything in the engine compartment.

Getting close now

Ian
        Ian
        Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

• Flywheel, clutch and pressure plate mounted. Oil pan clearanced... all ready for the transmission!

Hoping to have the engine/transmission in the car later tonight.
          Last edited by fastivaca; 02-19-2016, 09:51 PM.
          Ian
          Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

• Lots of clearance for the rad hose now...

Ian
            Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

• Originally posted by fastivaca View Post
              Flywheel, clutch and pressure plate mounted. Oil pan clearanced... all ready for the transmission!

Hoping to have the engine/transmission in the car later tonight.
              Looking good! Hope it goes easy for you getting it in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Well that took a little longer than I thought it would. I didn't modify the oil pan well enough so I had to work on that for a bit. Glad I checked before I had it all in the engine bay!

All together now and ready to drop in. That will have to wait as it's been a long day already.

Thanks for your continued interest!
                Ian
                Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

• Looking purdy!
                  - Form should follow function...

Comment

• Huge milestone with the project today... engine and transmission are in place. Engine is sitting square and level as it should. Won't be long now 😊

Ian
                    Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

• Apparently my torque wrench doesn't work below 30 in-lbs...

That is, or was, the oil feed bolt for the turbo. New one coming from the local Mazda dealer tomorrow.
                      Ian
                      Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

• Huh, that looks really familiar, Ian.
                        Exactly the same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. Irritating. I did not even get to the torque wrench stage, it was finger tight, and I had just started to turn the socket wrench to snug it, no force to speak of yet. They must get bad metal fatigue.
                        Expensive little part at around $20 from the dealer, eh! I found you can get them from Gregg Distributors for $7, although I ended up using the one from the dealer because the id inside the bolt was just a hair larger and the more flow the better!
                        Thricetiva replaced Icetiva as the new ride
                        Icetiva-3-race-car-build
                        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2533299

Comment

• Front suspension is back in!

...and a really rough mock up for the VAF meter and piping. Not sure how clear it is but there's a box under the VAF representing the battery location. I will fab up a bracket to hold the VAF as well as the coil so everything is sort of in a relatively stock position. Using a K&N air filter.

I was trying to keep the battery in sort of the stock location. Not using the monster stock sized one but one spec'd for a Mazda Miata. Here's a side by side comparison...

I will be using a modified Honda Civic battery tray with some custom brackets to hold it in place.
                          On the passenger side I will be mounting the windshield washer bottle from an early Festiva to serve as the reservoir for the water meth injection. That will go in later, after I get the required insurance inspection!

Thanks again for your continued interest and encouragement!

Oh. One more photo. Thanks to azgtx for the gorgeous exhaust and turbo heat shields. Gotta love Arizona sources.

You can also see the rad hose (not the final shape of course) coming off the modified outlet.
                          Last edited by fastivaca; 03-01-2016, 08:25 PM.
                          Ian
                          Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

• First attempt at the battery bracket...

Have to turn it away from the coolant overflow bottle as I didn't leave quite enough room there for the air filter. The back mounting point will stay the same though.

Heading out for coffee with Sharon and then back to it!!! Getting really close now.
                            Last edited by fastivaca; 03-05-2016, 08:11 PM.
                            Ian
                            Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

• I knew that welder would quickly become your favorite tool! Everyone should have one.
                              Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                                I knew that welder would quickly become your favorite tool! Everyone should have one.
                                Thanks Charlie... and my welds are getting better all the time.
                                Ian
                                Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

Working...
                                X