Pedro the Festiva's build thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by moz View Post
    Don't mean to gloat, but that's the standard condition of most non beach cars in australia.

With the exception of Italian cars. Alfa and fiat will rust even if kept inside a vacuum sealed room
    I don't think I would have moved to AZ if I was from Australia. I've heard the climate is very similar. Even Fiats and Alphas don't rot here though, but we don't have an ocean or Kuala bears, so you win.
    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Wow! Pedro looks to be in amazing condition! Used to live in Tucson. 2 tours at Davis-Monthan. I should have scoured the entire city for Festys back then. Twistiva's an 88 carb and I'd love to buy some parts off you but Twistiva is running fairly well (other than an oil leak/transmission leak) so I'm not sure what's worth buying. My only 'engine specific' complaint is it stutters when the outside air temp is super cold. Somebody told me it might be carberatour icing?

Good luck on your build. Everything you do on Festivas turns to gold so I'm sure it will look and drive perfect when your'e done! :thumbs_up:
      88L - 'Twistiva' - 'The Fusion of Man and Machine'
      88LX - 'Laztiza' - Future Resurrection Project
      91L - 'Mistiva' - My Daughter's DD
      93L - 'Vextiva' - Airport Car

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
        I don't think I would have moved to AZ if I was from Australia. I've heard the climate is very similar. Even Fiats and Alphas don't rot here though, but we don't have an ocean or Kuala bears, so you win.

Lol!
        Come here any time mate!
        1988 MAZDA 121- B6T + G5MR SWAP IN PROGRESS.

Comment

Nice. Watching for sure.
          Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
          91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

There is definitely something to be said about rust free and clean. I am working on my wife to allow a trip out to pick up at least 2 of them there clean Festies. I have a truck and a trailer just need permission. lol

Are you keeping that front tranny mount? I have been looking for another OEM one with rubber still in nice shape so I can make a spare. Maybe you have an extra. An auto one if they are different.
            -Bryant

Comment

Originally posted by Gomez View Post
              There is definitely something to be said about rust free and clean. I am working on my wife to allow a trip out to pick up at least 2 of them there clean Festies. I have a truck and a trailer just need permission. lol

Are you keeping that front tranny mount? I have been looking for another OEM one with rubber still in nice shape so I can make a spare. Maybe you have an extra. An auto one if they are different.
              I'm going to use these until they go out. I have never seen good condition original mounts, they are usually trashed out here. The dry air and heat play hell with the rubber, especially if they have been soaked in oil from leaks. The leaks on this car appear to have been fairly recent because the grime is very light.
              Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

damn where are all these clean shells coming from!!!?!?!??!?!

Comment

Originally posted by festyfreak39 View Post
                  damn where are all these clean shells coming from!!!?!?!??!?!
                  Arizona. Perhaps we should team up and bring a couple up to Alberta
                  Last edited by fastivaca; 01-01-2015, 05:06 PM.
                  Ian
                  Calgary AB, Canada
                  93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                  59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Originally posted by fastivaca View Post
                    Arizona. Perhaps we should team up and bring a couple up to Ontario
                    Fixed it for ya ;-)

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Pedro is a nice one..but

From Eastern Canada you don't have to travel that far to find a clean rust free Festiva.
                      Here's one on CL in Augusta GA that you could drive home.

http://augusta.craigslist.org/cto/4807166282.html
                      Last edited by 1990new; 01-01-2015, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Oh I know I was just messing around, I'm not in the market for a new festy yet

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                        1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                        2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Today I made a little more progress on Pedro. This car is rock solid and the body and most of the mechanicals are excellent, however the seats didn't fare the years so well.

Since it's easier to complete this swap correctly with all the interior bits removed I stripped everything but the door cards and the headliner/pillar trims. I will take this opportunity to do an interior color change, and wire up a nice stereo system.

I also pulled the rear beam, the fuel tank and the exhaust today, but it was to dark to take pictures when I was done.

Comment

It's amazing how quick you can strip these cars out after you've had a few goes at it.
                            1988 MAZDA 121- B6T + G5MR SWAP IN PROGRESS.

Comment

Course now with the blower box exposed you could experiment with heat exchangers and oversize hoses but then again I have to remember you do live in Arizona where heaters were probably optional to begin with. Nice to see the absence of rust and to get to view the otherwise hidden corrugated panels and folded steel that goes into making a Festy so strong and yet so light.
                              USA Festys had electric-operated seatbelts (?) whereas this baby looks to have conventional belts; did you do this or is it a Canada/Mexico import car?

Comment

Here 88 and 89 had pull downs 90 threw 93 has auto.

Comment

Working...
                                X