No announcement yet.

'89 Festiva build...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice! You got a lot done. How much room do you need for the tires to clear the fender? How much room do you have between the wheels and the strut? What offset are the rims? 185 is a little wide, but not terrible, its likely the rims. I think the aspire rear beam is wider as well but im not 100% sure. Good luck! How are you planning to set the rear wheel alignment? Do you have toe plates?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
      Nice! You got a lot done. How much room do you need for the tires to clear the fender? How much room do you have between the wheels and the strut? What offset are the rims? 185 is a little wide, but not terrible, its likely the rims. I think the aspire rear beam is wider as well but im not 100% sure. Good luck! How are you planning to set the rear wheel alignment? Do you have toe plates?

Needs lots of room, like an inch. Backspacing is good, rims are 13x6 et13. I'm also running an Aspire beam and brakes plus a set of rear toe/camber plates. We have a brand new Hunter Hawkeye elite aligner with a brand new four post hoist to play with at work now, this one will be our first full custom spec setup with the new equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      1990 Flat black Festiva...Mostly stock...

Comment

• Man this car is looking good.

With care, especially if you have access to a bolt-on fender roller, you will be surprised how much clearance you can get.
        No car too fast !

Comment

• Originally posted by Dragonhealer View Post
          Man this car is looking good.

With care, especially if you have access to a bolt-on fender roller, you will be surprised how much clearance you can get.
          Thanks Rial!

Picked these up tonight. At 13x5 et 46, theyshould provide proper fitment until I have time to do some rear fender work and order some decent 175/50R13 tires from overseas.

Comment

• Nice!
            185/60-13 should clear fine at or near stock ride hight on those. The 595's have good dry grip and are cost effective too.
            On Rosie I'm running Yokohama 185/50-14 S-drive on 14x6 Miata rims at stock hight, requires wheel spacers on the rear even though Rosie has the slightly wider Aspire axle.
            Got to admit though, as Charlie says, the165 wide Achilles are best in the rain, and dynamite in the dry, but I'm not sure how they would fare in cold weather (which we rarely get here).
            Last edited by Dragonhealer; 12-23-2018, 05:27 AM.
            No car too fast !

Comment

Nice!
              185/60-13 should clear fine at or near stock ride hight on those. The 595's have good dry grip and are cost effective too.
              On Rosie I'm running Yokohama 185/50-14 S-drive on 14x6 Miata rims at stock hight, requires wheel spacers on the rear even though Rosie has the slightly wider Aspire axle.
              Got to admit though, as Charlie says, the165 wide Achilles are best in the rain, and dynamite in the dry, but I'm not sure how they would fare in cold weather (which we rarely get here).
              They dont fare well in the cold. I wanted to at least make it another 15ft when we got home from our trip in september! Got stuck here and then we got more snow and we had to push the car off the yard! Terrible traction in the cold... lol.

Comment

• With the realization that the Gold Exims would not fit without fender work/smaller tires, I hopped on Kijiji in search of some new 13" wheels. Came across these Toyota wheels in 13x5 et45, so I made the drive out to Kitchener to pick them up.

In typical fashion of my life, I started getting pain in my right knee Saturday afternoon. By Sunday morning it was apparent I had gout again. Working on the car Sunday afternoon was out.

I had planned weeks in advance to work most of the day on the 24th. The leg felt ok enough, so I got five hours in today. Didn't get near as much done as I had hoped, but any progress at this point is good. My leg was none too happy afterwards...

Installed the NOS Ford brakeshoes. Had to reuse my existing hardware as I could not source a new set out till the new year.

Installed the new races in the drums, packed the bearings, installed the new grease seals on put on the drums. Finally installed the Southern US ebrake cable I purchased in 2016 to replace my broken one. Had to remove the rear seat and carpet, which sucked, but it's done now.

And that's it for the rear. I had saved the brake hardlines from the Festiva beam, but they don't fit properly, so I'm going to make up some new hardlines once I have the stainless steel flex lines made up this Thursday.

Comment

• Those wheels look like a good fit!
                  Sorry about your gout, ouch.

Though, that shop, looks almost as clean as the medical facility.....
                  ....Im going to go cry now.
                  No car too fast !

Comment

Those wheels look like a good fit!
                    Sorry about your gout, ouch.

Though, that shop, looks almost as clean as the medical facility.....
                    ....Im going to go cry now.
                    Funny thing is the shop is filthy right now, we didn't clean before we left for holidays because I was tearing my car apart.

Comment

• Pulled apart the front yesterday, man are those stock brakes small

Everything out

Front parts pile

My Aspire steering rack arrived on the afternoon of Christmas Eve.

Rack installed

Camber caster plates and front coils in. I've now been told that the plates might not be the best choice for a street driven car, so they may be coming back out.

Knuckles in

All new Superpro bushings up front. Not pictured are the inner control arm bushings, which were earlier pressed into new lower control arms.

Brakes assembled

On the ground

It was a long day filled with many small problems that took far to long to fix, but that's pretty normal any time I work on my own stuff. I fix cars for a living, but working on my own cars always seems to be a struggle for me. Onward tomorrow!

Comment

• Removed the stock master/booster combo. Here it is pictured beside the Miata combo.

And test fit in the car, pulled the charcoal canister and it drops right in with zero clearance issues. Just have to sort out the issue with the clevis being shorter next week and it will be good to install.

Comment

• I noticed that you left out the two countersunk screws from the front rotors, Was that on purpose?

Comment

• Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
                            I noticed that you left out the two countersunk screws from the front rotors, Was that on purpose?
                            No holes for them to thread into

Comment

• Originally posted by Zman86 View Post
                              It was a long day filled with many small problems that took far to long to fix, but that's pretty normal any time I work on my own stuff. I fix cars for a living, but working on my own cars always seems to be a struggle for me. Onward tomorrow!

So i'm not the only one... that was how it went for like 2 winters getting my car ready for that summer trip

Comment

• Originally posted by Zman86 View Post

No holes for them to thread into

Do you still have the screws and would you sell them?

Comment

Working...
                                X