No announcement yet.

Episode 121. A New Hope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's the rear camber plates I have made, using 5mm thick aluminium. They give me approx 4 degree negative camber and 0 toe.

Thickness at each corner -
    Top left (rear) 3mm. Top right (front) 4mm
    Bottom left 4mm bottom right 5mm

Very easy to DIY these, all you need is a grinder, a drill and one good eye.

Note that my rear beam is from a 1998 Mazda 121, but they should yield very similar camber/toe on a festiva WA or 121 DA rear beam
    Last edited by reddragon; 12-21-2017, 03:15 AM.

Comment

• I have cleaned up the original rear beam, redrilled the hub mount holes to suit the larger DW hub/drums bolt pattern and bolted it on. The DA rear beam (ie with hubs brakes etc all removed) is probably around 10 - 15kg lighter than the DW beam. They look very much the same, just made from a thicker guage steel. As mentioned earlier in thread, the rubber pivot is a different design.

DW beam has very little droop - with the car on stands and wheels removed, when you unbolt the struts (adv. coilovers- golf mk1 rear struts) it only drops by a few degrees (or approx 20mm)

DA beam is wider than the DW beam, approx 10mm; DW hubs/drums are thicker than DA, approx 10mm . So DA beam with DW drums gives a wider track than the other combinations - stock DW is - 10mm, DA/DA is -20mm, with DW beam/DA hubs/drums being narrowest combo, approx 30mm less than DA/DW. Not sure if the rear track width really makes much difference on a front heavy FWD.

There's not much difference in how the car feels, if anything the DA beam gives a slightly softer feel over bumps. I think that would be more related to how it pivots at the mount, as opposed to the 10 - 15kg weight difference. Camber/toe plates seem to give very similar results on both beams - no measurable difference in my DIY alignment using straight edge, tape measures and spirit level.

Comment

• I dont know why i wasnt reading this thread. I saw your post in festiva of the month and looked for your build thread. This is amazing, you have done incredible work in a very short time!

Originally posted by reddragon View Post
        Looks like the smoke issue was related to the factory oil/air separator, and/or how I had it hooked up. Separator is off the B6T, which has the block vent, whereas the engine I'm using has no block vent. I had diverted both the PCV and fresh air vent through it, and I think the vacuum line was sucking heaps of oil through to intake. Disconnected the separator, and just ran PCV to intake manifold, fresh air vent to fresh air. Nowhere near as much smoke now, it's getting less and less smokey the longer it runs.
        I drilled and tapped a hole in my block for a vent on my B3. Might be an option for you if the pcv system gives you issues. I still havent hooked mine up yet. For some reason im scared its gonna fill my catch can right away... :/
        I also have to weld the bracket back on my catch can...

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by reddragon View Post
          Here's the rear camber plates I have made, using 5mm thick aluminium. They give me approx 4 degree negative camber and 0 toe.

Thickness at each corner -
          Top left (rear) 3mm. Top right (front) 4mm
          Bottom left 4mm bottom right 5mm

Very easy to DIY these, all you need is a grinder, a drill and one good eye.

Note that my rear beam is from a 1998 Mazda 121, but they should yield very similar camber/toe on a festiva WA or 121 DA rear beam
          Hope you get to drive this soon, how long till your regularly driving it do you figure?
          Those plates look pretty sweet. How much camber do you have in the front?

Comment

• Just read the whole thread - excellent job Rick! A properly sorted Festy is a thing of beauty
            ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
            91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
            1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
            2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

• Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
              Hope you get to drive this soon, how long till your regularly driving it do you figure?
              Those plates look pretty sweet. How much camber do you have in the front?

I've been daily driving it since December! Is going strong, hasn't missed a beat! Approx 3 degrees camber and 0 toe all round.

Regarding PCV, there doesn't seem to be much oily air going to the intake. I've put a small inline oil/water filter between the valve cover and intake (pre turbo,), it's been there a couple weeks now and theres not even a drop of oil in it so far.
              Last edited by reddragon; 03-07-2018, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X