Papa Smurf~Build Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by firebush357 View Post

The only thing I'm not looking forward to is having to pay insurance on a 5th vehicle once I get everything running.
    The pain goes away after a while. Trust me. Just don't look at the line item charges on your policy declaration page mailing and you'll be fine.

Comment

That and with the 155/55/14's I should come in about 27mm shorter than the stock 155/80/12's

The only thing I'm not looking forward to is having to pay insurance on a 5th vehicle once I get everything running.
      Over 1" shorter than stock which is already short for the speedo... You'll need a correction adapter to get anywhere close to correct.

And as far as the insurance: I would regularly run 6 cars... It's not too bad if you do quarterly payments...
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Looking good. Keep it up
        91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
        14 C7 Z51

Comment

I finally had time to start taking Valves out of the Head to get ready for the port and polish. I bought a $13 Harbor freight valve spring compressor and found that they aren't very good on small springs like ours... Then I rented a big Valve Spring Compressor from Advance Auto and was still having troubles getting them to compress correctly. The problem ended up being that the Valve was kinda stuck in the in the retainer and and keepers so I had ended up using the Harbor Freight tool and a Hammer to free them.

There is quite a but of Carbon build up in the Combustion area and on the valves but I'm assuming that is to be expected from condition of the everything else in this engine.

I am only going to grind down the Valve guides on the Intake side and smooth out some of the Rough casting marks and try to gasket match it.
          "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
          sigpic
          "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
          "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
          "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
          "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
          https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

You'll be doing yourself a disservice if you only touch the intake side... Pull one of the exhaust valves and look at that runner, you'll see what I mean. I did a PnP job on Skippy about 3 years back, there should be a bunch of pictures posted to go along with the associated post to show what I did and where.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
              You'll be doing yourself a disservice if you only touch the intake side... Pull one of the exhaust valves and look at that runner, you'll see what I mean. I did a PnP job on Skippy about 3 years back, there should be a bunch of pictures posted to go along with the associated post to show what I did and where.
              I have your post with pictures saved and will be using it for motivation and guidance because I have never done it before. iirc you opened up your intake side a good bit but didn't polish it completely so you still have some turbulence on the intake side correct? I bought a set of Sanding Cones from Harbor Freight that have 80 and 120 Grit rolls but then for the Exhaust side I also bought some 240 Grit Flap Sanding Wheel for the Dremel Tool to finish up the Exhaust side.
              sigpic
              "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

Comment

Yes, I left the intake runner rough for some boundary layer turbulence since un-shrouding the valve lost some tumble into the chamber. I should have marked the surfaces so that it would be easier to see what all was removed.

Having carbide bits is really the way to go to knock out the heavy stuff... If all you have is sand rolls, it's gonna take a while...

Last edited by FestYboy; 02-23-2017, 11:41 AM.

Comment

I started the P&P this weekend but my wife keeps yelling at me for making to much noise so I didn't get much done, I guess I will have to take it out to the Garage to finish. I took these photos in the middle of the first exhaust port so there is still work to be done but it is definitely looking better.

After only a couple minutes with the Sandpaper I decided to take Festyboy's advice and go get some Carbide Bits lol.
                  sigpic

Comment

Take lots of pics!!!

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                      Take lots of pics!!!
                      It's not an easy thing to take good pictures of... What I see with my eyes and what the Camera sees is completely different. I will try to get some good picture though even though I'm sure some one with more experience could do a better job than me it will be cool to see the before and after. The one thing that I am still worried about is cleaning up all of the carbon in the combustion chamber without messing up the valve seat. I could sacrifice a set of valves to sit in place while I clean I guess, unless anyone else has any better Ideas?

Also my boss told me for the best effects that I need to Index the spark plugs making sure that they all face the center, he said it is minimal but makes a difference.
                      sigpic

Comment

That's really splitting hairs, but it's easy while the head is off. Now, how to determine what angle they should be at.
                        Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

I started the P&P this weekend but my wife keeps yelling at me for making to much noise so I didn't get much done, I guess I will have to take it out to the Garage to finish.....

Are you reworking this engine in the kitchen or on the new coffee table in the living room?

Comment

The pics are more for your benefit just because the camera sees differently than you do and it's easier to do A B shots. And to save the valve seats, you only need 2 valves that can move to each chamber.

Comment

Originally posted by bolokid View Post
                              Are you reworking this engine in the kitchen or on the new coffee table in the living room?
                              On the Dining Room floor at the moment but it is just the two of us there so we don't use that room for anything except hobby stuff, we didn't even bring in the Dining Room Table lol.

Couple more pictures from last night. (I'm going to make an Album on Photobucket for all pictures going forward so I can just post a link to the Album at the end for anyone that wants to see)
                              Before

Almost Done with Exhaust side.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X