B6 hop ups and festy weight loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B6 hop ups and festy weight loss

Looking to pull 100lbs out of a daily driver festy,and pull an honest 100hp out of a b6. Now with VW I knew all the tricks what head to use what cam to use what exhaust etc.. I am not going to mess with bottom end other than rings and bearings. Were any of the B6 heads better than others?Were any of the B6cams better than others?Were any of the B6 exhaust manifolds and head pipes better than others?If I mill the head for compression it is going to retard my cam timing,are there offset keys or adjustable cam pulleys available.Better throttle bodies? My proposed plan is better exhaust,more compression, colder thermostat and more timing. Weight loss, no carpet,rear wiper delete,no spare tire,lawn tractor battery. This car will be a daily driver and will have to shuttle kids around in it,so things like seat belts.rear seat door panels must remain. I may turbo this thing later but for now just trying to do a quick hop up.
    30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

I'm guessing sohc?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Better Than Nothing Racing

Way too many cars

:woc:

Comment

On the weight-loss side, you will not notice any difference by removing the carpet, rear wiper and spare tire. I moved my spare to the floor behind the front pass. seat to get some weight off the rear, but if you need the rear seats to carry kids, then I guess that's not a good option for you.

The Festiva is already pretty darn light, and to get it significantly lighter would require removing some important "mechanically non-functional" pieces,like rear glass, rear windows, rear seat, and the bumpers, as well as useful stuff like the spare tire. (You will get a flat within a week of removing the spare. Murphy's Law.)

As far as making more power from the SOHC B6, it's turbo or Matt Dickmeyer IMO. My B6 has his extensively worked-on head* ($1500) and headers ($350), and dynoed at 97whp, IIRC; so 105 - 110 crank hp. Bang for buck, I would recommend the headers for sure.

All B6s made about the same power, so no significant cam differences. There were gen1 (1986 - 89) and gen2 (1990+) heads, which are not interchangeable. If you are going with a gen1 head, which has the same exhaust manifold bolt pattern as a Festy/Aspire, you can buy the exhaust manifold flange from The Festiva Store to send to Matt as the basis for the header. Also, if you do get the header, you might have to change to the Festiva coolant bypass tube setup in front of the motor. I forget if the B6 one worked or if I had to change it out.

* Larger racing valves, reworked cam, porting. Requires gen1 screw-and-locknut manual adjust lifters for clearance, if using a gen2 head.
      Last edited by TominMO; 05-20-2018, 08:01 AM.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Yes it is DOHC I think it is a protege engine, how can I decode the engine can I use the engine number to fing out what I am starting with? Will a 16v head swap to an 8v engine?On VW when you swap 16v head on 8v VW you need to swap pistons. Also on 8v VW some heads had bigger Valves and hotter cams. Some years and some models had dual downpipe manifolds as well as some having larger inside diameter am I not going to get that liucky with a festy?
        30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

There was no 1.6 dohc b series ever offered in a protege. And if you're starting with a dohc engine you're already making close to 100hp (at the crank).

Last edited by shorestiva; 05-20-2018, 08:44 AM.

Way too many cars

Comment

Here, we use the term "B6" as shorthand for B6 SOHC. "B6D" means the DOHC motor, found in the early 90s Capris and Miatas. Give us the head and block stampings and we can tell you what it is, and probably from what US-sold car.

"B8" and "BP" refer to the B-series Protege motors, SOHC and DOHC respectively.
            Last edited by TominMO; 05-20-2018, 11:36 AM.
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I have the B6D from a 92 Mercury Capri in mine. It’s the DOHC non turbo model. It’s running around 107-110 horsepower from what I’ve been able to find on the internet. A big improvement over the stock 63 hp B3. Stock trans, Excedy clutch. No issues at all.
              Jerry
              Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
              90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
              92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
              93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

or just show a pic of the engine
                91GL BP/F3A with boost
                13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

That was supposed to say yes it is sohc. Guess what?S and D are right next to each other on the keyboard. My bad.I appologize to you all. I will try to to get numbers and a pic tomorrow. If the DOHC head swaps that and a little weight loss and good exhaust I'd be a happy camper.Thanks to everyone .
                  Originally posted by ricko1966 View Post
                  Yes it is DOHC I think it is a protege engine, how can I decode the engine can I use the engine number to fing out what I am starting with? Will a 16v head swap to an 8v engine?On VW when you swap 16v head on 8v VW you need to swap pistons. Also on 8v VW some heads had bigger Valves and hotter cams. Some years and some models had dual downpipe manifolds as well as some having larger inside diameter am I not going to get that liucky with a festy?
                  Last edited by ricko1966; 05-20-2018, 08:24 PM.

Comment

If it's a sohc from a protege it's a 1.8.

Way too many cars

Comment

Rick since you said you might go turbo later, check out this thread on the B6 DOHC.

Discuss making performance enhancements to the OEM-spec engine in your Festiva or Aspire.
                      Jerry
                      Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
                      93 L Lightning. BP

Comment

I was looking for a B8ME which is a sohc 1.8, rated at 108 hp. Because I was walking at the time I went with a B6ME with 53K miles on it for $250. It's a 1.6 sohc,16 valve that came out of a Kia. I would estimate it's at least 90 horsepower. Installing it was pretty easy and it will run on the stock ECU and injectors. In my opinion any B series engine is an upgrade from a B3. While not as powerful as a B6D, I believe there were a lot more B6ME's made which translates to more choices when trying to find a good one. Also FWIW I don't think you get get much more horsepower to the ground than the B6ME puts out without moving the engine and transmission forward not to mention the stock clutch and E transmission are working pretty hard at 100 hp+. I wonder how Tom and Jerry are getting the horsepower to the ground without smoking the tires. I didn't move things forward and have serious traction problems with my crappy (free) Douglas 185/70 14's I am running. I rate the swap as a bargain and the improvement in performance substantial. As mentioned on here before if you do a Wikipedia search for Mazda B engines you will find a good write up which includes a list of which cars had which engines. If you have any questions about specifics of my swap feel free to pm me.
                        Last edited by Rick the Quick; 05-21-2018, 04:37 PM.
                        '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
                        '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
                        '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

Rick, I'm running 165-55-14 Federal Formosa GIO's and it rarely spins. I Do Not Launch like I'm drag racing. I will turn it loose in second and third gears though.

I've gotten 40+ mpg and its quick. It's lots of fun to drive and the extra power comes in handy. It's also Aspire swapped with Miata wheels. My BP+T car has the motor moved as far forward as possible without CV axle damage. Running Yokohama S 185-55-14 or Federal SS595 in 185-55-15, it doesn't spin a lot either. But again I don't launch like I'm drag racing it, I actually drive it easier than the B6D car (until I get in 2nd gear and up).
                          Jerry
                          Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
                          93 L Lightning. BP

Comment

Here's another picture of the B6 ME. Check out the factory exhaust manifold.

Last edited by Rick the Quick; 05-21-2018, 05:11 PM.
                            '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
                            '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
                            '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

Jerry, when I go to eBay and look up G5M-R turbo nothing comes up. What did these originally come in? When I bought the B6ME they threw in a BP for another $100. It was in a Kia and by looking at it I would want to check it good before installing it. It will be a project down the road, after the B6T car runs. As busy as I have been working on other people stuff that may be awhile. If you were to turbo a BP today where would you recommend I buy the parts to do it? Are there any places you know of that would have a complete kit or are these conversions generally pieced together? Thank you in advance!

Comment

Working...
                              X