Scrap cats ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by freshtiva
    Looks like some one else is getting in on the action.

http://tinyurl.com/2ytq34
    I emailed that seller to let him know that his cat is NOT a factory converter like ours were. That one pictured is an aftermarket converter and contains less precious metal. Notice the air pipe in the second pic. For a 1991??

His reply was that it came off of a 1991 Festiva and that nowhere does he claim it to be the original cat. Scrappers Beware!!!!...

On another note. My final profit after shipping and fees is a cool $73.25.:hello1:
    Not bad for "JUNK". :wink:
    1991 L 408,000 miles+ w/NEW B3 longblock!!
    2008 Nissan Versa S HB

Comment

My Festiva was running rough so I bashed out the inside of the cat (I thought it may be plugged). I haven’t had a chance to road test it yet. Will this have a negative affect on power? I’d think it’ll have a positive affect since it’ll flow air easier now.
      2008 Motocross Apparel

Motocross Boots

Comment

It will cause some decrease in power.
        sigpic
        The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
        https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
        Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Aftermarket cats pay between $7.00 to $10.00 most buyers don't want them.
          Most cat buyers buy to resale, factory cat off of a festiva will bring about $50.00.
          Someone trying to keep the car all original may be willing to pay much more.
          Most all aftermarket cats have a small tube coming off the side retails for about $69.95.
          You guys should beware muffler shops will replace your good cat with a aftermarket then sell yours for a profit.
          If a shop removes yours tell them you want it back,watch out for the switch,shops are required to return your old parts.
          Renegade-Midwest Festiva Inc.Illinois Chapter

93 Festiva L Aspire 5sp Lots of upgrades & mods
          99 Dodge Caravan SE
          95 Taurus SHO auto 265hp
          94 F150 351W auto (for sale)
          78 Chevy elcamino 500hp 383 stroker
          78 Chrysler Cordoba 360 (for sale)
          03 Harley Davidson Electra Glide
          95 Honda 1500 Goldwing SE
          95 F150 4X4 6 inch lift,38" mudders
          95 Iszuzu Trooper LS

Comment

Mines up to $88.50 plus $20 shipping Its probably a usable converter is the bad part.
            sigpic

Comment

:notworthy: :notworthy: Congrats on the high bid Marcus! :notworthy: :notworthy:

You have set the bar high for the rest of us. I need to replace the cat on my 1987 Mazda B2000 and I will probably make money doing so..
              2008 Nissan Versa S HB

Comment

I am ripping my convertors off tonight! I could use the money!!!
                Brian
                http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                :fish:

Comment

Sorry Brian I already did.

Take it back to the back porch, join the 3 string revolution.

Comment

Final tally $108.50 - ($18.25 shipping, $3.45 paypal fee, $1.05 listing fee) = $85.75 Easy money . I will definitely look to see if the next $100 festiva I buy has an original cat on it.
                    sigpic

Comment

I have been trying to sell my OEM cat off of my 1987 Mazda B2000 on eBay. I have listed it twice now only to have eBay cancel the auction. I have all the disclaimers and it is listed as scrap only and not for reuse, but they still kill the auction! I have sent a reply to eBay customer service and I will see how they respond. Others are still listing scrap cats, but the listings are thinning out.
                      2008 Nissan Versa S HB

Comment

Thats strange, it will be interesting to know whats up.
                        sigpic

Comment

That is strange, I listed mine a couple of weeks ago, and it went in two hours. With no problems with Ebay. Hope you let us know when you get this sorted out. Good Luck!

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                          1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                          1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                          Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Here is their first reply. I still do not understand where they see a problem. :scratch:

EDIT: Looks like if you list it in the catagory: Business & Industrial > Manufacturing & Metalworking > Metals & Alloys >
                            Other Metals........then it is OK. :roll:

Dear James,

Thank you for writing eBay in regard to your listing which was removed.

I have reviewed your account and the item listing in questions and found
                            that it was removed for violating eBay's Catalytic Converters and Test
                            Pipes policy. Your item listing contained the following information:

?SCRAP CATALYTIC CONVERTER?

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) considers it a violation to
                            install a used converter from a salvage yard or sell it for reuse unless
                            it has been properly tested and labeled. A seller would be considered
                            liable for causing tampering if they sell converters that have not been
                            tested or do not meet the requirements outlined in the Clean Air Act.

Importantly, any person who causes a violation due improper installation
                            of a catalytic converter by individuals such as service or repair shops
                            or fleet operators could be subject to the same penalty as the
                            installer.

**Important**

For used or refurbished catalytic converters to be eligible for sale on
                            eBay, the seller must include the following:

- Image or text which states or displays that the catalytic converter in
                            question has the necessary EPA label, and

- The seller must be explicit that the EPA label is included.

If your converter does not meet such requirements, it may be broken down
                            and listed as scrap metal in the following category:

Business & Industrial > Manufacturing & Metalworking > Metals & Alloys >
                            Other Metals

You can read more about this policy and the EPA's guidelines at the
                            following eBay Help Page:

Vehicles, parts and accessories that don't follow government regulations are not allowed.

It is my pleasure to assist you. Thank you for choosing eBay.

Sincerely,
                            Bronwynn

eBay Motors Customer Support
                            2008 Nissan Versa S HB

Comment

I don't get that , how is everyone else selling then , without the EPA label ?
                              ------------------------------------------------
                              The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
                              Smart Passion white with H-D interior
                              HD2500 Duramax Chevy
                              Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
                              Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
                              Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
                              Z28 LS1 power 500 +
                              90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
                              It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

Working...
                              X