Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pu241
    I'm with you todd00,

All EPA MPG numbers took a hit. Apparently the hybrids took a bigger hit than most!
    Apparently had something to do with revising the test protocol to make it more real world.

I like it too but the US Gov wouldn't let us buy the most useful of the Smarts which would be the 798cc turbo diesel version.
    Which is the version Damkids family was kind enough to bring and let us test drive!

If the diesel was available I'd get it for my 75 mile round trip commute.
    I don't really need the extra space and if I did I'd always a festiva to to do the heavy work! Had to make due with 27 year old diesel Rabbit that get 50+ on diesel, and similar on other available fuels I have tested.
    Kind of sad when some of the most fuel efficient vehicles are 15-30 yrs old!
    just a thought for ya John, my mom told me when they bought their smart car they had to sign a paper saying if they sold it to someone in the US there would be a fee of like $5000 that would have to be paid to Mercedes, i'm not sure why but i think it may have something to do with makin it legel to import one to the US, again i'm not sure about that but it'd be something to look into if you seriously wanted to buy a smart car

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Damkid,

I spoke with your Dad about it when we were at the pavilion!
      I don't know about anyone else but $5000 is a steep impediment to bringing one in to the US.
      We (me and your Dad) didn't think the $5,000 had anything to do with making it DOT safe.
      Think it was just to keep it from happening on any large scale.
      ZAP had a lawsuit going saying that Chrysler/Daimler were restricting sales of European Smart car to them and that it was adversely affecting there business.
      ZAP retrofitted European Smarts to Us Specs and sold them for a nice profit!
      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
      '92 Aqua parts Car
      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
      Your holy ghost will not save you.
      Your God plutonium will not save you.
      In fact...
      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

ya $5000 is definately a steep price, i guess it makes more sense that it'll keep it from happening on a large scale :lol: but it does make me wander if it is possible to have a smart car like my parents actually registered for the road in the US

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
        1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
        2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Working...
        X