Shifting question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shifting question.

I do this without thinking about it because it makes the ride smoother and was just wondering if I'm hurting my transmission.

When shifting from 2nd to 3rd for example. I pull the trans out of gear, let off the gas, and push the clutch all at the same time. When I get it perfect, there's no jerking when I shift, which is nice when there is a female in the car who doesn't need any more reason to hate it. My uncle saw me doing this and said, "Hehe, you like to speed-shift." I've heard the expression before, but I never knew what it was.

Am I gonna tear something up doing this? Just curious.
    Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
    91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

If you get it perfect....probalbly much of a problem.
    Pulling a car out of gear while being driven by the engine without using the clutch puts a little extra stress on the linkage and gears...when the engine is driving the gears, the gear mesh has some applied torque that will increase the force to release the engagement....Here's a little experiment...while the car is parked with the engine off...pull the stick out of gear while the clutch is pushed in....repeat whlie the clutch is not pushed in...the difference you feel is what I'm talking about.
    But then agiain...I do this form time to time and never had a problem.
    Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
    The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

I don't know about you but if I got a female in the car I try to make it jerk around.....hehehehehe
      "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
      89L Silver EFI auto
      91GL Green Auto DD
      There ain't no rest for the wicked
      until we close our eyes for good.
      I will sleep when I die!
      I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

I look for whoopti doo's
        ------------------------------------------------
        The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
        Smart Passion white with H-D interior
        HD2500 Duramax Chevy
        Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
        Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
        Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
        Z28 LS1 power 500 +
        90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
        It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

I often shift without useing the clutch. I have learned to do this smoothly without any grinding! Both upshifts and downshifts.
          Brian
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
          :fish:

Comment

Originally posted by 25Horseplay
            I often shift without useing the clutch. I have learned to do this smoothly without any grinding! Both upshifts and downshifts.
            So I'm not going to break something?

I learned what you're talking about when my slave cylinder blew on my cavalier, stupid hydro clutch. Had to go clutch-less or not drive. 1st gear was interesting. Thankfully my driveway is down-hill.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

I've done shifting without using the clutch a few times... But I don't like doing it much for when I do grind! :x
              Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

I am not saying you won't break anything, this is just something I learned to do on stick shift cars.
                Brian
                http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                :fish:

Comment

OK, well, I guess I'll keep doing it then.

It hasn't hurt anything yet.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

I am not saying you won't break anything, this is just something I learned to do on stick shift cars.
                    But, he's what you call a professional. :lol: :lol:

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                    1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                    1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                    Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

used to "quick shift" all the time in my first car, an isuzu mini-truck/pick-up short bed... i would push in the clutch and slam the shifter into the next higher gear and let loose the clutch really quick--- i thought it was cool until i was under the truck dismantling the driveshaft from the transmission and then the transmission from the engine to replace that clutch i fried... a little different in a festiva, had a fried clutch in a festiva too once upon a time... the good news is that even if you do ruin your festiva clutch as long as you have medium mechanic skill the removal of the transmission to swap in a new clutch is very easy as the stock transmission weight is light. you can undo the bolts and easly bench-press it down to the ground...

IN AN EFFORT NOT TO FRY THE CLUTCH OR RUIN YOUR GEARS INSIDE THE TRANSMISSION, you might wanna try some rev-matching. try to blip the throttle; tap the gas peddle; to bring up the RPM... once the engine revs up all of a sudden in a quick moment try to bring the shifter from 4th down to 3rd with VERY LITTLE PRESSURE. if you match the rev's of the transmission vs. the revs of the motor, the shifter will shift between gears easily........ if you hear a GRINDING noise you done wrong and try again.

rev matching is a great practice when approaching a stop sign or a red light. "race cars" use this to slow down when approaching a tight corner, not to mention that most "race cars" produce more power when in higher RPM's so they attempt to stay in the higher RPM range even when not in a corner.... blipping the throttle, stomp on the gas and let go, is a great practice for downshifting.

and it sounds really cool too =) good luck. feel and listen for that grinding, less grinding the better.

-Brian
                      lightweight turbo festiva eventually... till then RALLY 323 FWD 1.8 turbo w/DMS suspension.
                      www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8RQWpCQTEM
                      http://good-times.webshots.com/album/563922096TbQTzO

Comment

Originally posted by 25Horseplay
                        I know in one of your cars you do it quite often. HeHeHe!!!!!!!
                        Renegade-Midwest Festiva Inc.Illinois Chapter

93 Festiva L Aspire 5sp Lots of upgrades & mods
                        99 Dodge Caravan SE
                        95 Taurus SHO auto 265hp
                        94 F150 351W auto (for sale)
                        78 Chevy elcamino 500hp 383 stroker
                        78 Chrysler Cordoba 360 (for sale)
                        03 Harley Davidson Electra Glide
                        95 Honda 1500 Goldwing SE
                        95 F150 4X4 6 inch lift,38" mudders
                        95 Iszuzu Trooper LS

Comment

I've done speed shifting and rev matching howeve rif you take care of your equipment you will have no problems . . . this does shorten the life of the components though and trust me you can drive a stick shift with out ever touching the clutch accept to start off

91 L - modified to SLX- "Tin Can Project"
                          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2850897
                          92 GL - parts car
                          97 aspire - parts car
                          87 323 DX - daily driver

Visit My Store - New Products available!
                          http://www.cafepress.com/tunner

Car enthusiasts will respect all makes and models that preform.
                          Brand enthusiasts are the root of all problems in the car community.

Comment

With such a weak trans you better get it right all the time.
                            Renegade-Midwest Festiva Inc.Illinois Chapter

93 Festiva L Aspire 5sp Lots of upgrades & mods
                            99 Dodge Caravan SE
                            95 Taurus SHO auto 265hp
                            94 F150 351W auto (for sale)
                            78 Chevy elcamino 500hp 383 stroker
                            78 Chrysler Cordoba 360 (for sale)
                            03 Harley Davidson Electra Glide
                            95 Honda 1500 Goldwing SE
                            95 F150 4X4 6 inch lift,38" mudders
                            95 Iszuzu Trooper LS

Comment

I have had to drive baby car a few times w/out a clutch. Here is how I do it. As the rpm's get REAL close to 3 grand, pull out of gear. B4 they drop below about 2400, go for the gear you want. I can almost always do it very smoothly.....
                              Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                              Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                              "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Working...
                              X