Gm 3.4l -- I Hate You!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stevewl1164 View Post
    I work at a Chevy dealer and have been told it is the 100K antifreeze that eats the gaskets...Dexron's fault! It affects all gm cars. The worst engine GM built was the 3400 double overhead cam used in the Lumina Z34...no warranty company will touch it!
    actually, aside from the goofy timing belt design, the TDC is a great engine: powerful, efficient, easy to tune/mod. the problem with those engine wasn't the design, it was the lack of regular maintenance. high performance engines require diligent maintenance.

as for the 3x00 engines, those intake jobs take less than 4 hours in our shop (we do them fairly often).

and the pontiac grand prix and like chassis use a simple tool that you can easily make youreself that tilts the engine forward once the front dogbones have been removed (5 min job) and that gives plenty of room to do the plugs.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

That is completely awesome of you to do that for her. If we lived closer to each other, I'd definitely chip in to help!!
      www.cardomain.com/id/jermnc77

Madness Committee Member & Contact Person
      www.festivamadness.com

Festiva Madness
      Snoopy's
      4621 Atlantic Ave
      Raleigh, NC 27604

Comment

Originally posted by jermnc77 View Post
        That is completely awesome of you to do that for her. If we lived closer to each other, I'd definitely chip in to help!!
        I think she needs the vehicle sooner than a year it took to do a clutch replacement.

However, I suspect he has a paypal account and perhaps we can all put a few dollars toward a worthy cause and at least cover the cost of parts for the repair and maybe something for the "while I'm in there I better replace X."
        So jermnc77, want to put your money were your mouth is?

So Gdawgs you got a paypal account for us to use?
        I'd feel better about donating to this cause than one I'm never likely to know if someone was really helped or if most of the money was wasted on overhead for the "charities" business operations!
        '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
        '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
        '92 Aqua parts Car
        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
        '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
        Your holy ghost will not save you.
        Your God plutonium will not save you.
        In fact...
        ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by stevewl1164 View Post
          I work at a Chevy dealer and have been told it is the 100K antifreeze that eats the gaskets...Dexron's fault! It affects all gm cars. The worst engine GM built was the 3400 double overhead cam used in the Lumina Z34...no warranty company will touch it!
          That antifreeze is nasty stuff. I worked on a low mileage, relatively new GM car that had a problem with overheating.

The orange antifreeze had turned into some sort of gunk and clogged up the cooling system.

I ended up flushing it all out and replacing the coolant with the regular green kind.
          White '89L auto - Sold!
          Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Believe in Karma? Good will come back at you, it always does in some sort of way you just have to recognize when it does.

Comment

Wow, thanks for all the kind words and thoughts. I can't believe you guys would be willing to help pay for parts! You guys are great. I do have a Paypal account but I'm not sure how I'd feel about receiving money from you guys. I'll have to think about that.

Anyway, great news. Tearing it down to get to the fuel rail took much less time than I originally thought, just because I now know the tricks and the hidden bolts, etc. Only took about 45 minutes to get it apart. Took the line out, and the O-ring was cut, so I did something wrong when I put it together. Put in the new O-ring and this time I tested it before I put it together. No more leaks. Put it all back together, and it started right up. Ran a little rough for a couple minutes(which is normal according to the procedure) now it is purring like a kitten. I flushed the cooling system really well, and converted it over to regular anti-freeze. I still have to do that wheel bearing though. Didn't get to that last night. Today is our sons 5th birthday, so no working on the van tonight. I hope to get it done tomorrow so I can get it back to her. My wife cleaned up the inside of the van really nice, so I think this will be a good Christmas present for her and her kids.

Thanks again everyone!

Comment

"All you have done for her and her family will be returned to you ten-fold."
                "Believe in Karma? Good will come back at you, it always does in some sort of way you just have to recognize when it does."

I believe in this more and more, the older I get.

"I think she needs the vehicle sooner than a year it took to do a clutch replacement."

Damn John, when somebody gets under your hide, you get primitive laserbeam focus and lock on....LOL!!!!!! That was hiliarious!!!
                ENFORCER - Midwest Festiva Inc., Iowa

#1 '90 Sport to modified Lx - RollazX
                #2 .....Cheesehead
                #3 '91 White - Donor Car
                #4 .....Montana Project
                SOLD----Levistiva for $1500
                Bought her back for $450
                Now that's darn near priceless!!

Comment

gdawgs,
                  It's not like your taking money from us so much as we are giving it to the woman in need of getting her van fixed.
                  You just happen to facilitate the transaction, when no one else would or could.
                  Speaking for myself, it won't be a lot, I still need to find a job, but I'm better off than a mother with 6 kids and no vehicle!
                  So I do what I can.
                  Think about it, just trying to help you help her!
                  '92 Aqua parts Car
                  '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by gdawgs View Post
                    Wow, thanks for all the kind words and thoughts. I can't believe you guys would be willing to help pay for parts! You guys are great. I do have a Paypal account but I'm not sure how I'd feel about receiving money from you guys. I'll have to think about that.

Anyway, great news. Tearing it down to get to the fuel rail took much less time than I originally thought, just because I now know the tricks and the hidden bolts, etc. Only took about 45 minutes to get it apart. Took the line out, and the O-ring was cut, so I did something wrong when I put it together. Put in the new O-ring and this time I tested it before I put it together. No more leaks. Put it all back together, and it started right up. Ran a little rough for a couple minutes(which is normal according to the procedure) now it is purring like a kitten. I flushed the cooling system really well, and converted it over to regular anti-freeze. I still have to do that wheel bearing though. Didn't get to that last night. Today is our sons 5th birthday, so no working on the van tonight. I hope to get it done tomorrow so I can get it back to her. My wife cleaned up the inside of the van really nice, so I think this will be a good Christmas present for her and her kids.

Thanks again everyone!

That is a great story...right on for Christmas ! That is terrific to help a needy family like that.
                    But, stories about this GM engine just seems to get some folks riled up about the quality of the Big 3 auto makers. We all want dependability, and some question that coming from our USA cars, just a sad story it seems. Then we point fingers at auto companies because of the huge problems that come along with certain engines in question. What's a guy to do ?

Comment

congrats on finishing the job Gdawgs!
                      youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Well I finished off the van today. Spent an hour or two replacing that bad (really really bad!) wheel bearing. Like I said I have never heard a wheel bearing sound as bad as this one. I could feel it vibrating and grinding.

I am very glad to be done with this project. It was a lot of work, time, and money invested, but it was very rewarding. The family was very appreciative. Thanks again for all your encouragement.

Comment

You ever decide to let us contribute to this Xmas project?
                          '92 Aqua parts Car
                          '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

You're a good man gdawgs !
                            sigpic
                            The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                            https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                            Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
                              You ever decide to let us contribute to this Xmas project?
                              Well I suppose if people want to, that would be great. But don't feel obligated. I went into this not expecting to be paid back, even though things are a bit tight on our end as well. But like you mentioned earlier, we're still way better off than this family. So I am very grateful for my situation.

I'm not sure how to setup a Paypal thing though.

Comment

Just need to send us the email address to which your pay-pal account is linked, I think!
                                '92 Aqua parts Car
                                '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Working...
                                X