Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soliciting Opinions Regarding Gas Prices

Group,

Since I sell a lot of econo-boxes in the spring/summer, I pay extra special attention to gas prices (or at least as much as the next festy driver) I've been wondering what the heck they're going to do this year. Some might remember that last summers massive price spike somewhat came out of nowhere ($5 bucks a gallon?!) If one simply follows the price of (barrel) oil, it would seem gas prices are going to stay where they are, or even a little less as the "Driving season" ramps up (i.e. good weather, people travel more)

But has anyone been noticing the sssssllllloooowww rise in price since before Christmas, even though barrel prices have decreased since then? (Mn. $165'ish in Dec. $1.90'ish now) This suggests prices aren't just linked to supply and demand (golly...really? You mean there's people who influence it?)--says I...

But seriously, I'm interested in hearing what people think about it. I know it's a semi-generic topic considering the vehicles we drive, but worth bringing back up again eh?

Also, a sidebar tag-on. If prices do start to rise again, and the economy is tanking, could that be when people pick up their pitch-forks and start marching toward DC? I've heard the argument that one of the primary factors in last Septembers market downturn was unpresidented fuel prices creating a paradygm shift with consumers.

FX
    Because....45 MPG.

You cant go by price of a barrel of oil too much now. They cut production which means there is not a large supply on hand as use to be. Ours is 1.50 still here in Brighton, CO. I'm figuring people still not traveling like they use to and gas will only go up to about 2.50 gal in most places. Maybe a little higher over holidays. Im hoping anyway. Im driving my truck( which gets about 18 to gal) right now to save engine wear on Grey Ghost.
    Thom-Lifes too short, don't blink
    93 Festiva (Little Red Truck)
    01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

It was 1.87/ gal when I filled up tonight. Thats fifty cents higher then the low late last year when it got down to 1.38/gal here at one point. Seems to be inching up. I cant believe its been this cheap this long. When it was $4/ gal I would have swore it wouldnt ever get below $2/gal again. Who knows. I know the festiva got a lot more respect when gas got up to $4/gal.
      sigpic
      The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
      https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
      Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Yeah it seems to running about the same everywhere. It averaged about 1.85 all the way up to Maine on our trip.
        And actually supplies arent low theyre high due to a lack of demand, which caused OPEC to cut back production.
        Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
        - Unknown
        I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
        - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
        - Bumper Sticker

Comment

Cost of paradise is about 2.35 a gallon here. Not as bad as 4 dollars though of last year. I have a huge feeling the prices are going up soon.

Comment

Historically February is the highest price per gallon month.
            Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
            The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

Lutz, That's an intesting stat. I wouldn't have guessed. It has always seemed like summer was the high months? Would you have an source I could read up on about that?

Thanks,
              FX
              Because....45 MPG.

Comment

In NC, back in mid Jan, the policy makers announced that because the good citizens were driving so much less, many programs that depended on gasoline taxes were faltering so they had no choice but to hike the gasoline taxes to compensate for the shortfalls.

Intellectually, I understand the economic ramifications of their statements.
                Emotionally, it feels like we're being punished for trying to do our part to conserve.

Focustiva: Because I was told it was was impossible to fit a Focus bumper on a Festiva.
                In memory of Dean Allen - V8 Festiva 1955-2010

Comment

Originally posted by freshtiva View Post
                  It was 1.87/ gal when I filled up tonight. Thats fifty cents higher then the low late last year when it got down to 1.38/gal here at one point. Seems to be inching up. I cant believe its been this cheap this long. When it was $4/ gal I would have swore it wouldnt ever get below $2/gal again. Who knows. I know the festiva got a lot more respect when gas got up to $4/gal.
                  I don't care whether a gallon is $4.50 or $1.50 I'm driving my Festiva because I don't like buying from Hugo Chavez and the middle East. They hate us and we're sending them all our money.

That respect issue sure is different at $1.59 (here in N.E. Okla). I finished Flamestiva right about the time gas had peaked and I had all kinds of folks start up a conversation wherever I went. "How many miles you get with that thing?"

One thing's for sure, there weren't as many people laughing at us. That's OK, our time will be yet again!!
                  1992 Flamestiva with matching Festrailer
                  1994 Mercury Capri XR2 turbo
                  1992 Aerostar "Hot Wheels" custom
                  FoMoCo toy car collector for 20 years

Comment

^Love your plate and window decal !!
                    Last edited by freshtiva; 02-08-2009, 08:58 PM.
                    sigpic
                    The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                    https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                    Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Originally posted by festyxfi View Post
                      Group,

Also, a sidebar tag-on. If prices do start to rise again, and the economy is tanking, could that be when people pick up their pitch-forks and start marching toward DC?

FX
                      i traded my pitch fork for a
                      88 mustang 427 stroker garrett t-76 turbo best run 8.86@ 151.56

91 red gl festiva the $50 daily driver <--toast
                      WANTED 78-80 FORD FIESTA (PREF GHIA)

Comment

$1.64 in Rapid City now. We are usually the highest in the state. Must be because we have a fuel depot right here in town???
                        Chuck
                        Life's a beach, then you marry one---- Shakespeare
                        If money will fix it, it's not broken
                        91 GL -Ol' Rusty
                        93 GL - Lil Red
                        91 L - Tweetystiva
                        http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54176
                        http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54596

Comment

I have been wondering about the same thing! Why are they cutting production? I think its just the BIG OIL trying to squeeze every penny out of us any way they can.
                          www.cardomain.com/id/jermnc77

Madness Committee Member & Contact Person
                          www.festivamadness.com

Festiva Madness
                          Snoopy's
                          4621 Atlantic Ave
                          Raleigh, NC 27604

Comment

I hope they stay low! But whether the stay low or raise back up I will continue to drive a Festiva most of the time, but theres other toys that aren't so gas friendly! Gas here is $1.62 a gallon right now,
                            Brian
                            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                            :fish:

Comment

ohsoslow...Nice! But you might want to be careful who and where you post that pic.

I'm building up my hunting collection as well.
                              Because....45 MPG.

Comment

Working...
                              X