Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most common "on the road" emergency repairs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow! Some of you carry some serious spares. In my opinion if you maintain your car properly and use decent parts you won't have to carry all those spares. However there are unforeseen circumstances and a decent set of tools, tape, bailing wire and cable ties are good to have. Having 3 vehicles and the since newest is 20 years old, my AAA card is the best tool in my arsenal. I've got the premier package which will tow up to 200 miles.
    Rick
    1993 Ford Festiva
    1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
    1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
    2000 Ford E350

Comment

Originally posted by boosted_eclpse View Post
      Oh ya a major would be a portable air compressior. At night you would need a flashlight wouldnt you?
      You could always make and an adapter that threads into one of the spark plug holes. Basically you use a compression tester hose with a one way check valve and use it to charge up a small air tank. The engine will run on three cylinders and you can get about 100 psi when the car is running from the dead cylinder.

Comment

Did anyone say toilet paper? Because there have been times when I've had that "emergency"!!

sent from my EVO in my Festiva
        First time owner
        89 L carb'd - white / still needs work
        Bought for mpg and only paid $250

Comment

My check list:

JUMPER CABLES. Not just for you. Viva la Festiva.
          Micro air compressor.
          Can of fix-a-flat and a hole repair kit. Spare is always in the car.
          Fuses, lights, and links.
          THE TINY TRUCK STOP BOOK. If you know where you are, you know where THEY are.
          $10 in quarters. Gas, parking, tolls, brass knuckles...
          2-gal gas can in a trash bag.
          Alternator & belt.
          Pry bar. For alternator, and, well, you decide.
          Socket set in metric, made up of most common sockets for a Festiva, extensions, and a spark plug socket.
          First aid kit.
          LED Road emergency light. Less power draw than emergency flashers.
          Extra phone charger.
          Umbrella & poncho.
          CRANK HANDLE FLASHLIGHTS (2).
          Small wet erase board with eye hooks in top and held to window by suction. Say a lot more than HELP or BUSTED.
          Cleaning supplies should be limited to a tube of general wipes, Invisible Glass, and two terry cloths.
          My personal favorite: A small pad and pen, just so you can hang one sheet on another Festiva's antenna to inquire or promote the website

All this fits into a milk crate. Actually, lots of the little stuff is best in your console or dash.

Of course, the winter time adds things like hand & foot warmers, an emergency blanket, and a twin-sized air mattress, unless you're not alone.

Forgot a small bottle of oil and a screw on funnel.
          Last edited by DriverOne; 08-15-2011, 09:28 PM.
          In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
          There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Originally posted by rollertoaster View Post
            You could always make and an adapter that threads into one of the spark plug holes. Basically you use a compression tester hose with a one way check valve and use it to charge up a small air tank. The engine will run on three cylinders and you can get about 100 psi when the car is running from the dead cylinder.
            I would unplug the injector in that cylinder. Compressed air with gas fumes in it can be deadly.
            Rick
            1993 Ford Festiva
            1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
            1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
            2000 Ford E350

Comment

^^ Beat me to it! That'd be a fun... 'blowout'
              -Zack
              Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

I shredded an alternator belt a few years ago 50 miles out of town. I turned off everything electrical and unplugged the daytime running lights to reduce electrical draw but overlooked the water pump. Thanks to the gauges I was reminded of that in a hurry. Did get her home by many times accelerating to 60mph on back roads and turning the engine off to coast as long as possible (to cool off the motor) before jump-starting (only works with manual trans) the engine again. Took me an extra 45 minutes but she got me home without cooking anything. Stanley tools makes cheap tool sets that are housed in a plastic case. The stuff is guaranteed forever (but in fact not very durable) and with that I carry a spare belt. The meagre tire wrench that comes with the car is easy to bend (if a professional shop put your wheels on with an air wrench) and the wheels (more so the aluminum rims) are often very difficult to break free from the hub when doing a roadside change. I personally make sure the wheel nuts are not over-tightened and that the hubs have been oiled or greased before going on a long road trip.
                Also maintaining a well-adjusted handbrake has been a lifesaver more than a few times when brakes fail or suddenly begin to leak.

Comment

Driver One wrote:

"$10 in quarters. Gas, parking, tolls, brass knuckles..."

Brass knucks are cool. So are jacks and saps. They can also be quite effective. However, there are potential problems with them, and alternatives that are just as good and much more legal and "normal":

Knuckles are probably mentioned (usually by name!) in every state code as being illegal to carry, or at least to carry concealed. Brass, steel, aluminum, wood, plastic and other materials may not matter due to the wording of the law, so don't be fooled by ads for "alternative knucks" or "paperweights." Politicians don't want you to be armed and they usually do a thorough job of it, especially describing such an old weapon in statutes.

Knuckles are also considered by most folks to be "criminal, counterculture, gang," or at least "unusual" weapons associated with the dregs of society. Even in certain "weapon friendly" areas of the U.S., knucks and a few other items would be considered "not normal" especially when you can carry a legally permitted handgun.

Police will probably also see this weapon as "criminally oriented" and so might a jury of your "peers." Not something you need to deal with on the road, or at worst, if you actually had to use them for self-defense.

Alternatives?

Maglites and other heavy duty "clubbed" full size flashlights are, unlike knucks, almost expected to be carried in cars, for obvious emergency reasons. You can carry a Maglite around in your hand around dark, or on the side of the road, or around your car, with impunity (as long as you're not waving it around like a club). Maglites are more associated with security and police than gangs, etc. Having one on the seat beside you will not usually be a problem. A nice size is the two to four C cells, which are easier to grip and hold onto, while not appearing to be "clubs" like the larger sizes. I carry a 3 C cell at my security job, with the very bright MagLED bulb installed.

Folding knives are also legal most everywhere, though you need to be aware of sometimes strict or unusual local laws. I carry a Spyderco Waved Delica, which is rather smallish with a 3" blade and is faster than any switchblade or "assisted opener." Like a flashlight, as long as I carry it as a "tool," and I'm safe and respectful, I am unlikely to be hassled by a cop for either.

Smaller, "fistload" flashlights are even more low key than a Maglite and go practically anywhere. I've taken my 4.5" to 6" long Surefires, Inovas and Streamlights on airplanes, in courthouses and anywhere else with no problems. With these tools, think "flash-bash." Blind your attacker and then hit them with a "reinforced" hammerfist. HARD.

Canes! Besides the rather expensive "Canemasters" brand canes, there are some other heavy duty ones out there to be your constant companion. What goes for the smaller flashlights goes triple for canes: they are a disability tool! (Think Americans with Disabilities Act!). Again, they go just about anywhere, including planes and courtrooms. It does help to be older or with an obvious limp, etc. to have one.

This has been Karl's official thread hijack! I return you to your normal thread, now in progress...

Karl

PS: A properly sized large-ish padlock can be held and used much like knucks (covering just one knuckle, though) and will go many places with no issues. It should sit in your car just fine!
                  Last edited by Safety Guy; 08-16-2011, 11:52 AM.
                  '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                  '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                  '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                  '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                  '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Several people mentioned "air compressor." Keep it simple -- substitute "bicycle tire pump."

In AK, I add:
                    1. 12-gauge shotgun. Purposes ... a. Ordering up bear or other mobile object as dinner, and b. Discouraging bear from ordering ME up as dinner.
                    2. Cooking gear for bear.
                    3. Survival gear (tent, etc.) good to -40F (same as -40C).
                    4. Full-size 12" tire mounted on wheel.
                    5. Water pump.
                    6. Satphone.
                    Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 08-16-2011, 04:15 PM.
                    88L black, dailydriver
                    88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
                    4 88/89 disassembled
                    91L green
                    91GL aqua pwrsteer
                    92GL red a/c reardmg
                    3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
                    1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

Originally posted by David88 View Post
                      Coolant bypass hose is often overlooked and can let go. Its a 5/16" hose and you can use fuel hose for it, but its a formed hose in a 90 degree bend. If you use fuel hose you have to make it longer and loop it so it does not kink.
                      This is alway the main failure for me! If it doesn't fail because of old age, then it is cut by the radiator shroud when the front engine mount fails and the engine falls forward enough to rest it against the shroud.

Tip: I have used the cooling over flow hose to replace it. Cut it to about 10 inches length. Loop it straight up and tie the loop to wire harness bracket.

Carry extra Hose Clamps (all sizes).
                      Last edited by Festiva Time; 08-16-2011, 10:43 PM. Reason: left out a word

Comment

Working...
                      X