Why isn't the B8 swap more popular?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why isn't the B8 swap more popular?

It seems most folk go full monty with the B6-T, some do a BP and some do B6. Not much love for the B8. Why is that? Any cons to the B8 that make the other swaps more worthwhile?

Theres not much aftermarket for them and for the same amount of work you can have a bp. The b6ts are turbo so theyre easier to make power with plus boost is addicting.:twisted:
    Better Than Nothing Racing

Way too many cars

:woc:

Comment

I plan on doing a B8 swap myself. I've heard it's a great swap to do. It does has it's pros and cons, but the people on here that have done or had a B8 swap loved it. Just ask Eurotiva or FestivaWes. Maybe they'll chime in
      "Lane, I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy."

Gone but never forgotten, "Hulkstiva"...http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ht=progression

Comment

I'm thinking about one too. It's far easier to find a decent B8 (and B6ME's) around here than it is to find "Performance" engines.
        Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
        '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
        '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

I did a b8 and i love it .........well worth the time. Handles boost well too.
          -Greg
          Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
          BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
          Redneck Engineer
          FOTY - '09
          5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Personally I like the B3 fine, but when it wore out, needed replacement and you can get low mile B6 from Japan cheap from one of those places importing engines. It gets simular mileage to the B3 and just bolts in with simple carb setup.

If mileage and practicality of hatchback werent top concern, probably wouldnt have a Festiva in first place. Why not just get a Miata if you want small and sporty? Dead Miatas arent that expensive or hard to find.

Comment

Originally posted by Banana Bonanza View Post
              ...Why not just get a Miata if you want small and sporty? Dead Miatas arent that expensive or hard to find.
              But, it's not a Festiva.

Comment

Originally posted by FestivaFan View Post
                But, it's not a Festiva.
                Well there is that. And nobody expects much from a Festiva so its a sleeper...

Comment

Originally posted by Banana Bonanza View Post
                  Well there is that. And nobody expects much from a Festiva so its a sleeper...
                  That's the reason.

Comment

I loved my B8 also. Would another one in a hearbeat over a BP. The swap is as easy as a B6 and can be done in a day. It has decent performance upgrades, and i like Sohc better for timing/maintence purposes.
                    ---------------------------------------------------
                    The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
                    ---------------------------------------------------
                    BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

Is it correct that you don't have to do the firewall mod with the B8 like you have to with a BP? And the B8 has more HP over a B6 correct?

Comment

Yup
                        B8 sohc 8 valve=92h.p.
                        B8sohc 16 v=103h.p.
                        BpDohc 16v= 127 h.p.
                        Sohc 16 is the best bet. Easy 1 day swap like wes said.
                        -Greg
                        BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                        Redneck Engineer
                        FOTY - '09

Comment

Originally posted by shorestiva View Post
                          boost is addicting.:twisted:
                          no kidding :evil4:

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
                          1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

If the BP was all of a sudden 1/2 as available, i would expect to see a lot more interest in B8's, sort of like in the early 1980s when everyone used 454 engines for boats. The 460 became an option as it was everywhere already and wasnt as choked up on cali emissions.

I would like to see a discussion of a b8-me with modest boost vs the b6T in various nonrace forms. Would it be pretty close or would the 16v put it closer to the regular BP engine? I AM biased to the b8 because i still have mine.
                            1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

I would compare mine to a b6t. I think it makes way more power. 103hp+10 lbs.= ballpark 160/170hp Plus the old saying...."theres no re-placement for dis-placement".
                              -Greg
                              Redneck Engineer
                              FOTY - '09

Comment

Working...
                              X