No announcement yet.

So I went to a shop for an alignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i would take it apart myself and see whats going on, it sounds like they forgot to put the spacer back in

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

they are taper bearings, so cant be backwards, the inner and outter are the same part #, so not mixed up. with the spacer in place its hard to overload the bearings when pressing back together. they either left it loose (check for up/down play in wheel) or overloaded the bearings because the 'tards simply left out the spacer. id bet anything thats what they did. they lost the spacer the first time in most likely and their second try also failed due to lack of the spacer.

Comment

hubs seem to be a nightmare for me too. i think you know my story, took hub to reputable shop, they seperated hub from knuckle, mixed up spacers and lost one. so now im left with knuckles that need to be measured. i wish someone on here who knew how to do these would offer a service hint hint. it seems as it is hard to find people who know how to properly set the bearing preload around by us. i am talking with a Kia mechanic now who said he will do mine on the side when he gets some free time so ill see how that goes.

Comment

Originally posted by muscle_Car1 View Post

Your right. I went there for a alignment after I did a basic string, ruler, & level alignment to get it perfect so I can eek every last mile outta my soft & sticky proxies. Besides that I really dont have a press ATM so lack of tools was a contributing factor to my decision to have a part repaired prior to going on a 500 mile trip to attend a festiva meet. Gee that seems like I really must of been doing something wrong.

So let me be someone with obviously no knowledge what so ever in the inner workings of automobiles in general, let alone a expensive & complicated import such as a festiva, be the second to thank you for all your many contributions to the site. Be it donations, advice, site support, organization of meets, and incredible wit and humor, you sir stand alone with no peers among these many fine members.

I shall remember you fondly.
          :laughing3::laughing3::laughing3: That's about all I have to say about that.

I'm weighing my options ATM. THinking about going to a auto parts place close to work that I trust to do the work of disassembling it so I can see whats going on inside and find out what they screwed up. Anyone besides Bhazard have any thoughts on this issue?
          i.e. Bearing in backward, missing spacer, wrong bearings, them pressing it F'ed up something
          If you have someone you trust to take it apart and examine it, I'd say do it. Just know that NTB may use that as an excuse for denying future warranty repairs. (Had a similar experience with a different national repair chain who will remain nameless) * cough * Midas * cough*

As far as what they effed up, I'm going to agree that they likely damaged/ removed the spacer. I guess they could have screwed something up pressing the bearings in, but I'd lean towards the spacer being the issue.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
          1989 L - 247K miles Slick
          1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
          Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Originally posted by Hot_Wheels View Post
            hubs seem to be a nightmare for me too. i think you know my story, took hub to reputable shop, they seperated hub from knuckle, mixed up spacers and lost one. so now im left with knuckles that need to be measured. i wish someone on here who knew how to do these would offer a service hint hint. it seems as it is hard to find people who know how to properly set the bearing preload around by us. i am talking with a Kia mechanic now who said he will do mine on the side when he gets some free time so ill see how that goes.
            I have a ford shop manual I can walk you through it its quite simple really if you have the right tooling.

Originally posted by batstiva View Post
            If you have someone you trust to take it apart and examine it, I'd say do it. Just know that NTB may use that as an excuse for denying future warranty repairs. (Had a similar experience with a different national repair chain who will remain nameless) * cough * Midas * cough*
            You should really get that cough checked out it sounds quite painful
            Last edited by Festiva_tunner; 11-03-2009, 05:12 PM.

91 L - modified to SLX- "Tin Can Project"
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2850897
            92 GL - parts car
            97 aspire - parts car
            87 323 DX - daily driver

Visit My Store - New Products available!
            http://www.cafepress.com/tunner

Car enthusiasts will respect all makes and models that preform.
            Brand enthusiasts are the root of all problems in the car community.

Comment

NTB = Not The Best

MIDAS = Mindless Idiots Doing Automotive Service
              Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
              '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
              '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

well festiva tuner send me the info and let me know what tools i need maybe ill buy them and offer this as a service to other members. im not sure about the shims, if you have to buy them in a set or individually. i think someone said the rotunda tool came with shims but i could be wrong.

Comment

Good luck on the shims. When I checked with a local Ford dealer they ran a check on 3 or 4 sizes just out of curiousity for me and there weren't many in the entire country, (USA). According to them they are/were sold individually. I was thinking someone posted about shime possibly being available from Kia but I don't remember for sure.

Comment

On my black car.
                    Monday oct 12 9:30am
                    They mentioned that the wheel bearing was going out. i said how long they said about an hour. Ok fine $100 and I have a wheel bearing done before St, louis.

10:21am
                    "Umm its going to be a lot longer, these have to be pressed out.
                    Like how long?
                    At least 4 hours cause we dont have a press here in the shop...
                    Fine I'll go see a movie since I dont have a car. end
                    So NTB had to send the hubs out?? I would do an autopsy on the hub and make a video while it's being pulled apart. If the shim is missing then there's your evidence. To be safe I would start shooting the vid from the time the car is jacked up till the hub is apart. Would take a while but then it would be hard evidence.
                    Last edited by Pu241; 11-03-2009, 07:50 PM.

Comment

yes Kia offers the same shims for the rio, rio hub the same as aspire the knuckle is a little different. but same bearings and all

Comment

Originally posted by lessersivad View Post
                        So NTB had to send the hubs out?? I would do an autopsy on the hub and make a video while it's being pulled apart. If the shim is missing then there's your evidence. To be safe I would start shooting the vid from the time the car is jacked up till the hub is apart. Would take a while but then it would be hard evidence.
                        A missing shim does not mean a whole lot unless you know there was one there to begin with. I have taken a set apart that had no shims. Put it back together and never had an issue with the bearings, it depends on the casting.
                        "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                        89L Silver EFI auto
                        91GL Green Auto DD
                        There ain't no rest for the wicked
                        until we close our eyes for good.
                        I will sleep when I die!
                        I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Originally posted by FestivaFan View Post
                          NTB = Not The Best

Funny! Sad...but funny.

Comment

Sorry guys, for not knowing what NTB is. I use the Air Base Auto Skills shop to work on my stuff. Nice working for the Air Force as a civilian.
                            Chuck
                            Life's a beach, then you marry one---- Shakespeare
                            If money will fix it, it's not broken
                            91 GL -Ol' Rusty
                            93 GL - Lil Red
                            91 L - Tweetystiva
                            http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54176
                            http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54596

Comment

Originally posted by FestivaFan View Post
                              NTB = Not The Best

Originally posted by stevewl1164 View Post
                              Funny! Sad...but funny.
                              Not funny. Some of the boo boos that work at these places couldn't fix a bent paper clip.
                              Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
                              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
                              '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
                              '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Working...
                              X