No announcement yet.

Rotating weight savings claim...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Certainly the weight savings in wheels/tires will have an effect on handling and braking, i.e. lighter is better; but a weight savings if 16 lbs is just that. I think that 64 lb number is some sort of equivalency formula, for a straight-line braking situation; but it wouldn't have anything to do with damper rebound. Taking 64 lbs out of the sprung weight, like removing seats, spare tire, etc., won't make the unsprung weight (wheel, tire, hub) work any better.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

now wait Tom, you gotta remember that once that weight is moving, it's static equivilant changes. ever see kids in a sience museum sit on a stool and with no other force working on them, are able to spin on said chair by holding a spinning bicycle wheel? same principles apply in a car. so yes it DOES affect damper/spring rates, requires braking force, and cornering grip/turn in/feel.
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

My wheels weigh 38 lbs each with tires
        -Greg
        Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
        BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
        Redneck Engineer
        FOTY - '09
        5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
          now wait Tom, you gotta remember that once that weight is moving, it's static equivilant changes. ever see kids in a sience museum sit on a stool and with no other force working on them, are able to spin on said chair by holding a spinning bicycle wheel? same principles apply in a car. so yes it DOES affect damper/spring rates, requires braking force, and cornering grip/turn in/feel.
          I will grant you that another 64 lbs of sprung weight will compress the four springs a tiny amount; but other than that you're still dealing with the heavier tire/wheel, which will resist movement in a new direction (up/down, and faster to slower or vice versa) more so than a lighter combo. The wheel/tire weight is much more important than sprung weight, when we are talking about small numbers like this.

A stock 12" tire/wheel weighs about 23 lbs. My 14"ers weigh 30 lbs each, for a total difference for four wheels of 28 lbs. I'd much rather reduce wheel weight than sprung weight for better response. 28 extra pounds of rotating mass will take longer to stop than just having a 28-lb toolbox in the car, for example.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

There's a reason Honda used 9lb wheels on the VX, and it wasn't for looks or acceleration.
            91GL BP/F3A with boost
            13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
              There's a reason Honda used 9lb wheels on the VX, and it wasn't for looks or acceleration.
              Although lighter wheels of course help acceleration, as well as gas mileage from a stop to cruising speed.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                Although lighter wheels of course help acceleration, as well as gas mileage from a stop to cruising speed.
                Agreed.
                1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

I just wanted to know what the 12" alloys weigh -vs- the 12" steel rims. Without Tires.

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO
                    Certainly the weight savings in wheels/tires will have an effect on handling and braking, i.e. lighter is better; but a weight savings if 16 lbs is just that. I think that 64 lb number is some sort of equivalency formula, for a straight-line braking situation; but it wouldn't have anything to do with damper rebound.
                    Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                    I will grant you that another 64 lbs of sprung weight will compress the four springs a tiny amount; but other than that you're still dealing with the heavier tire/wheel, which will resist movement in a new direction (up/down, and faster to slower or vice versa) more so than a lighter combo. The wheel/tire weight is much more important than sprung weight, when we are talking about small numbers like this.

A stock 12" tire/wheel weighs about 23 lbs. My 14"ers weigh 30 lbs each, for a total difference for four wheels of 28 lbs. I'd much rather reduce wheel weight than sprung weight for better response. 28 extra pounds of rotating mass will take longer to stop than just having a 28-lb toolbox in the car, for example.
                    sry, i didn't specify what was moving... i was refering to the rotating wheels only and in responce to your earlier post as i read it.
                    i aggree that reducing unsprung weight is paramount for all aspects of performance and that the claim in the original post is true (to an extent).
                    Last edited by FestYboy; 08-21-2010, 10:18 PM.
                    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
                    X