Shopping for a Festiva....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shopping for a Festiva....

The use: Paper route. Average speed of about 15, but I get up to highway speeds about half a dozen times. About 30 miles a day. Would also use for regular daily driving.

The goal: UBER MPG. I plan on lots of weight reduction my means of removing all but the drivers seat(will make room for the newspapers, too), and aerodynamic tweaks such as fender flares, and smoothing the underbody, etc.

The question: What year/model would be best suited for an uber eco? Carbed or EFI? 4 or 5 speed manual? I'm guessing an EFI 5-speed would be the best for MPG, but y'all are the pros. Anything else I need to know as well?

I've ALWAYS wanted a Festiva, now I finally have a reason to get one

Thanks for any and all input.

BTW I'm getting about 14-16 MPG in my supercharged grand prix on this route, not to mention it's tearing her up
    Buck.
    -1993 Ford Festiva GL, ~200k, B6, Aspire rear, Rio front, 5-speed. '87 Prelude alloys. Happy to be back on the route!!!
    -1999 Toyota Sienna XLE, 346,000
    -1996 Chevrolet K1500 Z71, 350 V8, 198k, hauler

EFI 5 speed is the way to go for MPG. Funny my brothers demo model festiva was used for the exact same thing, paper route.
    89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
    My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

While not anywhere close to being the ultimate MPG choice. I would go for an automatic just because of all the "stop and go". I would think,(though I've been wrong MANY times) that the clutch wouldn't like the "paper box hopping" very much.

This is just my 2 ¢.

Comment

+1 on the auto, throw in a trans cooler too. They're still fun too.
        91GL BP/F3A with boost
        13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Originally posted by lessersivad View Post
          While not anywhere close to being the ultimate MPG choice. I would go for an automatic just because of all the "stop and go". I would think,(though I've been wrong MANY times) that the clutch wouldn't like the "paper box hopping" very much.

This is just my 2 ¢.
          I was thinking the same thing.
          youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

I agree, too on the automatic. If you use it only for this purpose. Run narrow tires inflated 5lbs over the sidewall Max. tire pressure for less roll resistance. When you drive it 40mph, keep both hands on the steering wheel, in case of a blowout. Run only a half a tank of gas [weigh savings] if you can.

Comment

I was debating a auto but A) it seems to be a surprisingly large gap between 5-speed for MPG and B) 5-speeds are much more plentiful. If I come across a good deal on an auto, I'd probably go for it though. However, I don't see how stop and go driving is any better for an auto trans than a manual?
              Buck.
              -1993 Ford Festiva GL, ~200k, B6, Aspire rear, Rio front, 5-speed. '87 Prelude alloys. Happy to be back on the route!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 200KGPGTP View Post
                I was debating a auto but A) it seems to be a surprisingly large gap between 5-speed for MPG and B) 5-speeds are much more plentiful. If I come across a good deal on an auto, I'd probably go for it though. However, I don't see how stop and go driving is any better for an auto trans than a manual?
                Especially doing paper routes. I believe that the auto would use more gas since it has to shift up and down numerous times on a stop and go situation. I have seen a festy haul and banshee and a kx 65 and the clutch held just fine. I seriously doubt a few hundred lbs of papers are going to hurt the clutch or tranny, maybe the struts.
                89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
                My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

I have an auto in my Grand Prix and it's excruciatingly annoying to say the LEAST. The 4T65E is a slushbox as it is, but stopping and going like that constantly is.... embarrassing. It just doesn't know what to do. With a 5-speed, I can just keep it in 2nd gear for 80% of my route.
                  Last edited by Pu241; 12-16-2010, 02:43 PM. Reason: language
                  Buck.

Comment

Here you go:

Price should be right and PM Festyboy/Arty about fixing it before you get it!
                    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                    '92 Aqua parts Car
                    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                    Your holy ghost will not save you.
                    Your God plutonium will not save you.
                    In fact...
                    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

For your purposes, I think getting the best deal in a "doesn't need too much work" Festiva or even Aspire would serve you best at the moment. That way you'll replace your Pontiac ASAP and begin saving gas.

The slow average speeds you'll be moving at won't respond too well to aero mods as they will rolling resistance and weight saving mods. A good tune up, too.

Regarding tires, I'd keep the 12 inchers and see if you can get 145/80s to put on. Pump 'em up to around 35 psi or more (consult the sidewall max. pressure rating). Second choice are the more common 155/80-12 replacements.

Strip your interior, with maybe some padding (carpet remnants or cheap cargo blankets will work) in the back. Driver's seat only.

At the lower speeds it doesn't matter whether you get a 4 or 5 speed transmission. The autos are pretty stout, so as long as it is good to start with and you keep fluid in it, the auto should hold up okay. Yes, you'll take a bit of a hit on mpgs, but it'll still be better than what you're driving now.

In any Festiva, you'll go from your current 15 mpg to maybe 24 mpg or more, depending on number of stops and gos.

The worst I got with my B6/ATX was around 25 mpg. The best was about 28 average. That's "combined" driving to work and back--enjoying the more powerful 1.6 liters! My B3 5 speed does from 30 or so worst (winter snow and slush with warmups) to averaging an everyday 36 mpg every week.

Auto best highway was around 38. MTX has been 46 mpg at 55 mph. Others get better, though and I think my B3 is not "all there."

Carb or FI? Again, go with condition and price!

Everything I just posted is for a dedicated newspaper delivery car you need to save $$$$ NOW! If you have future plans for a build, etc., then things would change.

Good luck!

Karl
                      Last edited by Safety Guy; 12-15-2010, 08:47 AM.
                      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Oh no, the F bomb

Ive got an 1989 L plus auto that Im putting togather but it wont get done until work slacks up some. Might be interested in selling it come spring which will probably be to late for you.
                        sigpic
                        The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                        https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                        Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Looking at a running/driving 88 5-speed/carb for $500..... Should I bite?

Don't know what it even looks like as of now, should be getting pics soon.
                          Buck.

Comment

Check for brake line corrosion, ball joints!!, underbody rust, to begin with.

Then the usual stuff.

Karl
                            '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                            '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                            '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                            '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                            '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

mileage master

Get a 5 speed manual with fuel injection (or be prepared to seriously tinker with a carb that is probably pre-set), keep the windows closed, use the thinnest oil the motor will tolerate, tune up the engine, replace the oxygen sensor, put in all new bearings with synthetic grease, get tall skinny tires and learn to drive with a tachometer always in the highest gear possible. I consistently achieve 50mpg (Imperial gallons!) at 85 kph (50mph) which drops to 43-45mpg at 115 kph (70 mph) with two 5 speed FI Festivas on everyday commutes. I can do better but then motorists start honking at you to get the hell out of the way whenever you glacially accelerate.

Comment

Working...
                              X