Fuel Mileage for the weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Mileage for the weekend

Pu241 and FestyBoy have been giving me input for improving my fuel economy. Well between changing up a few of my driving habits and some timing adjustments my car achieved the following results and they are fairly consistant and repeatible. I made certain to completely fill it each time to be certain I was working with the same amount of fuel and here is what I came up with.

1st fill up yielded - 47.7 mpg
    2nd fill up yielded -46.8 mpg
    3rd fill up yielded -42.6 mpg, but there was a lot of stop and start with a bit of hot dogging after the meet.
    4th fill up yielded - 47.8 mpg
    5th fill up yielded - 46.6 mpg with some sustained 70mph driving through NC.

So Pu241 and I had discussed if I added the FestyBoy front air dam and a pair of vinyl side skirts to keep some of the air from getting under. Those will be my next mods to see if I can hit the 50 mpg mark.
    91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
    82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
    85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

What modifications have you done so far to get up there? Those are pretty solid numbers, my friend.
    1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

Looks good! Please share your timing information as well as any other mods you've done so far
      -Zack
      Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Originally posted by Aaronbrook37 View Post
        What modifications have you done so far to get up there? Those are pretty solid numbers, my friend.
        I haven't done any real major mods yet. I have only done a really good tune up, new air filter and the usual maintenance items. Then I turned the timing back a 1/2 a degree at a time till I reached a point that the car seemed to operate efficiently with the ethanol fuel, which on my car ended up around 8.5 degrees. Made certain to maintain 34 psi in the tires, and they gained 1psi while driving on the warmer roads. I did notice that drafting only plays a very minor roll in achieving a peak mpg. The key is mainly driving and using momentum to it's fullest, which racing karts taught me that well.
        91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
        85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

Man I'm jealous. Though Babystiva pulled off a 31 (adjusted for the 175/70R13s) on the way down here from Anderson to Myrtle Beach, running 70 most of the time and A/C. On the way back I'm probably gonna try 60 and no A/C if I can get away with it. Though with the carb AND being auto I'm not expecting too much out of it. I will clean the EGR when I get home though, thanks for that tip
          No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Don't mean to derail the thread but htchbck you've got a carb, an ATX and A/C?! I'm impressed!

I can't get any solid numbers from my car yet... The gas tank is leaking past half full
            -Zack
            Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Originally posted by crazyrog17 View Post
              Don't mean to derail the thread but htchbck you've got a carb, an ATX and A/C?! I'm impressed!

I can't get any solid numbers from my car yet... The gas tank is leaking past half full

Yea, it was cool to see what it would have looked like had they put one together. And I think if htchbck does a few more odds and ends it will even bring decent mileage that way.

htchbck, glad to hear you made it ok.
              91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
              85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

htchbck, you need to go after your timing and fuel quality to get the most out of that ATX. my 90 auto can do 34-5 all day at 70 on 87oct. that was before i bumped the timing and jumped to 89oct.
                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

So does adjusting the time on them make a huge difference? If so can someone give me directions on how to do it. I am getting about 40 and if that'll help I'll give it a shot.
                  1993 Festiva GL The Besty Festy

Comment

Originally posted by crusher773 View Post
                    If so can someone give me directions on how to do it.
                    Step one:
                    Buy a Haynes or Ford manual for your car.
                    This will save you more time and money than anything else you can do.
                    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                    '92 Aqua parts Car
                    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                    Your holy ghost will not save you.
                    Your God plutonium will not save you.
                    In fact...
                    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

I ran the poo out of mine on the way down. Loaded with the 4 of us and enough luggage, food, guitar etc for the 4 day adventure, A.C. going the whole time, running 75 most of it, 85 some of it, and a traffic jam that lasted half an hour we got 36. . Going slower on the way back, still loaded, with a.c. on we got 39. Meh.
                      youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

how is that considered bad?
                        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

HAHAHA Never thought I'd see the day that 36 was considered bad!!!
                          Buck.
                          -1993 Ford Festiva GL, ~200k, B6, Aspire rear, Rio front, 5-speed. '87 Prelude alloys. Happy to be back on the route!!!
                          -1999 Toyota Sienna XLE, 346,000
                          -1996 Chevrolet K1500 Z71, 350 V8, 198k, hauler

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                            how is that considered bad?
                            Originally posted by kartracer46 View Post

1st fill up yielded - 47.7 mpg
                            2nd fill up yielded -46.8 mpg
                            3rd fill up yielded -42.6 mpg, but there was a lot of stop and start with a bit of hot dogging after the meet.
                            4th fill up yielded - 47.8 mpg
                            5th fill up yielded - 46.6 mpg with some sustained 70mph driving through NC.
                            youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Originally posted by neanderpaul View Post
                              I ran the poo out of mine...
                              Are we allowed to say that!?
                              Ian
                              Calgary AB, Canada
                              93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                              59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Working...
                              X