Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Been thinking about ecoboost's, pros, cons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's an awkward design for an engine. I guess I've never really looked at the older inline sixes but those manifolds on the same side... trippy.
    -Zack
    Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

^Probably keeps the IM nice and warm and the spark plugs and wires nice and cool. I like it.
      Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
      91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

The geometry of the old inline 6s is archaic and there is an Australian company making aluminum crossflow heads for some of them. BMW has always seemed to have a lot of faith in straight sixes. If all I'd wanted was power I'd have bought into a V8. The beauty of the Ford L6 is absolute simplicity and durability. There isn't even a timing chain or belt to go wrong (direct gears!) and the water pump/fanbelt pulley has 2 belts. How it is that I can routinely achieve 25 mpg (Imperial gallons) in a carburetted 5000 pound truck and only double that in a flyweight Festiva does tell me something favourable about old technology.

Comment

The 300I6 was a wonderful engine, and when combined with EFI and a manual trans, it made one of the best light truck drivtrains ever available. All the farmers around here will pay through the nose for an old Ford pickup with a 300I6/5sp, even if it's beat. Here's a pretty cool budget turbo build that cranks out 244rwhp/400rwtq.

Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
          04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
          62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
          Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

I was there for the premier of it at sema
            :cry_smile: RIP. 91 Ford festiva BP swap

1990 Mazda Miata BP swap, 99 trans, 3.9 Torsen rear end, Mazdaspeed6 k04 turbo on 15 psi.

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
              Jim - i think when i get closer to be ready to buy one, i'll send you a message to ask about that problem, hopefully they have it figured out by then so i don't have issues with changing engines lol

piratewilly - yes i am well aware of the price tag, hence why i figure get a 1-2 year old one, the price should be closer to 30k, i have already thought a lot about the financial end of it, but thanks for the advice, but the sonata is kinda ugly to me, if i wanted hyundai's 2.0t, i'd get a genesis
              different engine, although it is similar it is completely redesigned and reprogrammed and is faster then the genesis 2.0t, plus you were talking sedan earlier and the genesis 2.0t is a coupe. I think, for you, there is no reason the get the new SHO because your not gonna race it, you have your other cars for that plus it wont be as fast as your other cars. Its a good car, but it isn't great at anything. Its fast, but not that fast, it handles well but not great, its interior is nice but you can get the same drive-train in a lincoin which has better interior for the same price...just to me, it doesn't fit the mold of the original SHO, which was designed to be a sports car where this SHO is designed as a luxury car thats sporty...its really up to you though. You asked for opinions, im giving mine. You have 2 cars (that i know of) this would be your 3rd...what roll do you want this car to fill?
              (GONE)88 Festiva LX 5 Speed, Factory A/C, Factory Tow Hitch, Tach.
              95k Original miles
              New: Tires, Axels, Front Wheel Bearings, Fuel Pump, Valve Cover Gasket, Carb Rebuild, Timing Set, Belts, Shoes, Distributor, CapRotor, Wires, Plugs, Coil, Grant 11" Steering Wheel, 3700 Watt Stereo System-6 1/2 Infinity speakers, Infinity tweeters, Almani 12" subs

Comment

He mentioned he was selling his V6T Festy and replacing it with this. He's got a seller already lined up.

If it's something he's aspiring for, let him have it! I love the looks of it, it's got some muscle and it's a heckofalot more safe than the tin cans we scoot around in.
                -Zack
                Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

piratewilly - i thought the hyundai's 2.0t would have been the same, either way, if i went hyundai it would be the Genesis coupe..... the plan will be for the new SHO to replace my festiva as a "track/project"

i have been putting a lot of thought into the idea of moving away from owning a festiva so i'm sure this is what i want, i don't intend to leave this site since i have too many friends here but i'm ready for a new project car

As i also said, i have full intention to finish my turbo build since i want to see it finished, plus i wanna break the fastest festiva record

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                  1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                  2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                    The geometry of the old inline 6s is archaic and there is an Australian company making aluminum crossflow heads for some of them.
                    close, but no cigar. The aluminum had is for the 144/170/200/250 engine, and its made by an American company, Classic Inlines in Arizona. The castings are poured in Australia, then shipped to Long Beach CA for machining and assembly. Mike @ CI is working on a head for the 240/300, but the economy has caused him to stall that project.

There is a company machining a billet head for the 300s, but it has no cooling passages, and is for drag racing only.
                    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                    Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
                      piratewilly - i thought the hyundai's 2.0t would have been the same, either way, if i went hyundai it would be the Genesis coupe..... the plan will be for the new SHO to replace my festiva as a "track/project"

i have been putting a lot of thought into the idea of moving away from owning a festiva so i'm sure this is what i want, i don't intend to leave this site since i have too many friends here but i'm ready for a new project car

As i also said, i have full intention to finish my turbo build since i want to see it finished, plus i wanna break the fastest festiva record
                      if your wanting a car to track why not just get a mustang...spend less money go faster and you will have the option of a manual transmission. If you have to have awd and turbo why not a evo or sti, still cost less and is DESIGNED to be tracked. I must admit when i heard about the new sho's coming out a few years ago i was pretty excited, but since that time i haven't seen anything that suggest to me that this is a performance car other then some numbers on paper. AWD, v6tt, 360+ hp out of the box...all sounds so promising, but i have driven one and it reminded me more of driving a crown vic with more hp then a performance sedan. When i think of "track car" the thought of my grandma comfortably driving it to church on sunday SHOULD NOT come to my mind.

If your goal though is infact to buy this car as a project by making it the fastest SHO out there, doing what others say can't be done, and want to spend A LOT of money i say DO IT I WANNA SEE!!!! But remember your going to have to make DRASTIC changes to the car (mostly by lightening the 4300+ lbs car) that your STILL making payments on and could possibly void your warrenty.
                      (GONE)88 Festiva LX 5 Speed, Factory A/C, Factory Tow Hitch, Tach.
                      95k Original miles
                      New: Tires, Axels, Front Wheel Bearings, Fuel Pump, Valve Cover Gasket, Carb Rebuild, Timing Set, Belts, Shoes, Distributor, CapRotor, Wires, Plugs, Coil, Grant 11" Steering Wheel, 3700 Watt Stereo System-6 1/2 Infinity speakers, Infinity tweeters, Almani 12" subs

Comment

Trust me I understand everything your saying and I agree to what your saying but my intentions are not to pick it up from the dealer and instantly start stripping it down, Although I probably would go right to the track to see what it does from factory :lol:

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                        1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                        2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Working...
                        X