Forum Charity Project - Feisty the Festy in Oklahoma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum Charity Project - Feisty the Festy in Oklahoma

Some of you may have read my post in the Off Topic Forum about a white Festy I went to look at that I found on Craigslist, but found called to help the owner fix the car instead.

Referenced thread here: http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=37398

Many of you decided you wanted to help once I figured out what was wrong. I PM'd Pu241 about how starting a new thread and what to call it. I went with this in this location, if a Mod wants to rename or move it, feel free to do so. Oh, and to those who required the car have a name, it's Feisty.

I got the car running with a new (to it) fusable link, but there's a tapping noise under the valve cover towards the transmission end of the engine. It sounds a lot like the tapping from the stripped rocker shaft bolt I found on Thing 2 that I have since fixed, so if it need a helicoil, I have that.

Problem 1: Find source of tapping noise and fix. This could mean new rocker shafts and rockers.

Problem 2: The car blows blue smoke upon starting. I'm thinking valve stem seals. Since I probably need to pull the shafts anyway....

Problem 3: The car was low on oil, there's also oil spray on the underside of the hood in the vicinity of the cam cover, I suspect a cam seal and maybe even a crank seal.

Problem 4. She says she thinks she'll need a new muffler and converter soon. Oklahoma no longer has vehicle inspections, and I have a MIG welder. I could cut out the converter and I can replace the muffler with a $5 used muffler from PAP like I did on Thing 1, barring rusted out exhaust pipe. This is something I need to confirm after the car is at my place up on jackstands.

These are the potential problems that I know of. Nothing confirmed yet until I get the car home. She told me that anyone that names their Festivas Thing 1 & Thing 2, she can trust, LOL!!
    1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
    1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
    1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
    1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
    2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
    2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
    2005 Accord - wife's DD
    2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
    2015 F150 SCrew - DD

I applaud your charity, Mr. Hampton. I'm glad to see that the car will again provide it's owner with a smile.
    In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
    There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Good luck with the project, I would go ahead and get a rebuilt head done to eliminate all the separate problems listed about the head.
      1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Well, she doesn't have the coin for a rebuilt head and neither do I. So we're going to try and get by with what she has. Once she's up and running, I'm going to tell her to set up a "Feisty Fund" to set aside money monthly for future repairs. Even if its $50/month, that's still cheaper than a car payment, much less having to carry full coverage.
        1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
        2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
        2005 Accord - wife's DD
        2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

maybe enough people will chip in to get the rebuilt head, im good for 40.00! any money i donate will go thru (john) pu241 thru paypal b/c i know my money will go to the right place.
          Never Hire a Boy to do a Man's Job!!

Comment

I hope to get this car to my house sometime this week. Looks like I might be taking a 'Staycation' next week. So I should be able to get it knocked out.
            2005 Accord - wife's DD
            2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

I can rebuild the head. If you guys want to chip in for new guides, valve stem seals, and shipping I'll be more than happy to provide the labor. I can recondition lash adjusters as well. :thumbup:
              If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
              Zulu Ministries

Comment

Oooo, better yet, if someone close to you (apparently NC is the land of the Festys and the center of the Festy universe) has a head they can donate, that would save some shipping costs and time, as I won't have to have the head removed to ship it to you. Also, if desired, I could ship her old head back to you for the original donor to be rebuilt for them.
                2005 Accord - wife's DD
                2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

That would work too I don't currently have a usable core head because I've had to rebuild 3 lately due to cracks which pretty much depleted my core stock.

WWZD
                  Zulu Ministries

Comment

Larry I can donate a head if it needs one and I am kinda close to Zanzer.
                    91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
                    82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
                    85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

^^ Fo sho I have 2 of his cylinder heads in the trunk of my Mustang right now LOL :mrgreen:

WWZD
                      Zulu Ministries

Comment

zanzer^ let me know & ill send $40.00 to your paypal to get this started
                        Last edited by kumalaba; 07-25-2011, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Will do Danny :thumbup:. Should only be $30 for new guides and $20 for new valve stem seals, and I may have a new cam seal on the shelf (if not it's only like $5). If it needs any valves I have a ton of used ones in all the cracked heads I've saved for the valve train parts.

WWZD
                          Zulu Ministries

Comment

ok ill send the whole 55.00 & maybe someone else can pay for the shipping. to larry. pm me your paypal & ill send it out friday (broke right now)

Comment

I'm planning on really working on it next week. I'm going to try and get it home this week so I can get the valve cover off.
                              2005 Accord - wife's DD
                              2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Working...
                              X