X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by georgeb View Post
    The Prius is a sissy car.
    LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
      I'm not crazy about "full hybrid" technology......They are mainly for upscale folks, and most po' folks can't afford to even consider them. Certain repairs will cost big money.
      My view of the utility of all electric cars would be as slow speed urban commuters, with speeds up to around 35 mph and ranges of around fifty miles.
      We still live in a very wasteful society, and apparently, luxury sells more than thrift.
      ...... simpler technology which could be incorporated into today's cars .......
      Many vehicles still appear to be on an upward spiral of bigger, heavier, more expensive versions.....
      ...... bring back sub-$10K cars?
      As far as safety is concerned, are a dozen airbags......
      Pretty much agree with you.
      The electric motor, with its greatest torque at 0 rpm, is at its best at lower speeds. At fueleconomy.com, the Nissan Leaf is establishing huge mpg-equivalents, especially at lower speeds. However, the huge efficiency gap between internal combustion engines & electric motors(25+% to 90+%) should still give the advantage to the electric motor at some speeds over 35mph.

The long standing Hyundai policy of 6 airbags, still leaves rear seat outboard passengers very susceptible to side collision torso injuries, & should encourage the use of at least 8 airbags. Chevrolet's policy of ten airbags(2 more to help stave off front seat 'tunneling') seems nice. A friend & I have been seat belted in a violent head-on accident that showed the limits of seat belts. The additional protection from a goodly array of airbags is very welcomed by me.

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
        Ouch, I'm so hurt, your cutting wit and word smithing are so scathing
        pu241....... you named yourself.

Comment

I love it when people ignore the facts, lol!

I guess the best thing to do when you lose a debate is to ATTACK the other person in any way possible! (I never learned this trait though, so I will have to stick with logic and reason, lol)

Comment

Originally posted by Darlo View Post
            I love it when people ignore the facts, lol!

I guess the best thing to do when you lose a debate is to ATTACK the other person in any way possible!
            The last refuge of the irrational.
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
              The last refuge of the irrational.
              Yeah when one shows that you have to drive 187,000 Miles (300,000kms) even when comparing city driving beteen the Yaris and the Prius, and you come back with attacks on peoples "nicknames", you are basically admitting defeat! :p

Comment

to heck with you all I say.

hey ls whats the math - 35mpg city on my $1000 95 aspire?

I figured it at one time against owning a 55mpg vw diesel rabbit and with 15k a year driving I came up with about 5 years to break even on the cost dif. ratio. the vw's are hitting $4-5000 in good shape (if there is such a thing)

with the diesel you have higher maint. and gas that offsets that by 10% or 5mpg.

with the new or used electric anything not many people factor in the $20 a month hike in the electric bill which is ALMOST a tank of gas in the aspire.

then after 5-8 years and the warranty's gone I know the maintenance is much higher than my aspire. at 250k miles I replaced the trany, t belt, and all front end parts for $1500. (I did some of it myself and saved 5-800 bucks on labor but still what would be the expense of a hybrid anything for the second 8-10 years of its life, after warranty? the aspire still runs like a top with the 250k on the motor.

if I can pay cash for a prius then MAYBE I'd get one but the extra you pay for the insurance and interest is a factor too. I pay liability only and its $250 a year.

then theres this - my aspire is 17 yo and still hummin along. they had hybrids in 1995 but how many are on the road? I know, technology has come a long way but I'll still bet you in 20 years you won't see any 2012 hybrids on the road then either.

and the energy and impact to the ecology comparing the MANUFACTURING of the car and PARTS and gas usage on a 35mpg low maintenance car wouldn't be that much difference if everything between the 2 cars from the cradle to the grave is factored in.

and on the highway if you do 70 in the hybrid the mpg usually drops 10-15%

if I do 60 in the aspire I get 40mpg but that drops back to 35 mpg at 70 mph.

I think untill they have a serious break through in battery/hybrid technology in the longevety dept. they will only be practical to those who have a lot more disposable income than the average working man.

WE'LL STILL BE DRIVING THOSE KIA-FORDS.

if the hybrid guys say "what if gas is $10 a gallon", I say then a loaf of bread will be $5 and the working man still won't be able to afford the $80,000 prius which is what it WILL cost if gas is that high.

I say invest in mopeds and moped technology if that happens. a 3 wheel 49 cc enclosed moped with heat and a/c that will do 70/70 (70mpg @ 70mph) is the future.
                admit nothing - deny everything - make accusations

Comment

Working...
                X