No announcement yet.

Wife doesn't understand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheaper to get a second Festiva to bring up to speed as a DD so you can take your current DD down for repair, than to take your current DD in to a "mechanic" to repair it for you! Once a Festiva is brought back up to operational status it usually require very little maintenance. But these car's are approaching 20 yrs old, and many were not well treated, thus extensive repairs are needed, but they are still more reliable than many new cars on the road.
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

I didn't attempt to work on it on my last vacation due to the fact I was scared of not being able to get it going again before having to go back to work. I want to be able to fix it right instead of rushing through it and having to go back and fix the same thing over again.

EVO deck'd out with Bruce Lee
      First time owner
      89 L carb'd - white / still needs work
      Bought for mpg and only paid $250

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
        Cheaper to get a second Festiva to bring up to speed as a DD so you can take your current DD down for repair, than to take your current DD in to a "mechanic" to repair it for you! Once a Festiva is brought back up to operational status it usually require very little maintenance. But these car's are approaching 20 yrs old, and many were not well treated, thus extensive repairs are needed, but they are still more reliable than many new cars on the road.
        Yeah show her a shop estimate to fix your cars issues and show her that it will cost the same as buying another festy.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
        The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

Charlie wrote:

"Yeah show her a shop estimate to fix your cars issues and show her that it will cost the same as buying another festy."

Not to mention some shop doing something wrong or not doing what they should! That's one reason I work on them myself. I'll know it was done, and done RIGHT!

*cough*...check the BALL JOINTS...*cough*...change the fuel filter...*cough*

Karl
          '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
          '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
          '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
          '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
          '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

take her car one day - you HAVE to work - she'll come around
            admit nothing - deny everything - make accusations

Comment

So my wife came in tonight and asked me "have you had a chance to look at that car yet?" She now seems like I can get it!! She just said She would offer less and then more If needed. I said I know I watch them auction shows.

89 Festiva. carby. needs repairs!!
              First time owner
              89 L carb'd - white / still needs work
              Bought for mpg and only paid $250

Comment

*cough*...check the BALL JOINTS...*cough*...change the fuel filter...*cough*

:eeeeeek: :eeeeeek: That's not necessary until your 50 yrs old is it??
                Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

My wife didn't understand either when I got the second Festiva. She tolerates it now since I took it off of the jack stands and moved it out of the front yard.

Comment

Dear Young Buck

My fellow Festivite- I've been married 25 years to the same girl. They are all pretty much the same when it comes to wheels. You can talk logic all day long with her about buying a used beat up car that needs lots of work.If you dont approach it right,your gonna come up a loser.She is gonna see some woman driving a new KIA FORTE. And think,thats what my hubby should buy me!:cry_smile: What you have to do if you want to stay sane is get that little Festy you have right now running tip top.Get it running so she feels "Safe" in it. Then you plant a little seed. Something along the lines of. "Honey,I'm kinda thinkin we need a second set of wheels"."How do YOU feel about that"? You want to get her involved in it. Then when she says "Maybe". You let that thought marinate. Then you ask her again a couple days later. And she now says "OK". You say,"Hey I got a great idea"! Why not get another Festy. The mileage is great,they are easy to park,we can fit 4 in the two car garage etc etc.Plus you tell her,"I can fix this new one faster because I've got experience from our other one".
                    My wife looked at me like I was nuts when I bought our Aspire. I made sure that it was running tip top before I let her drive it. She came to me @ a week after driving it and said. "Ya know,I like this little car". "I really can zip around in it,& I actually feel safer in it than our big car". So I started buying more, using the above process. She came to me and said. "What are you planning with all these cars? I told her a fleet. I want a fleet of them. Using the above explanation for my rational. She was like "oh that makes sense". It works,get her involved.Get her to think its her idea.Even better,get her to think that the car you are driving now, is yours. And the back up car will be hers,only better. The key to success is get the one you have now running tip top. If you cant do that, you might as well go buy her that new KIA.
                    Lastly as part of Fraternal Brotherhood of Festivites. You our sworn to total secrecy on the above methods of Festivary. Sharing our methodology is punishable by death.Good luck & Gods speed. Now go forth and conquer! (sounding of Festiva horns loudly blaring in the back ground)
                    Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                    Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                    Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

^^ Sticky this! :p
                      Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
                      The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

Or just marry a woman that likes your festiva, and wants one of her own*... then they start multiplying.

*Note: This may not work out well if you are already married, as the state frowns on polygamy.
                        Last edited by htchbck; 02-08-2012, 09:05 AM.
                        No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
                          My fellow Festivite- I've been married 25 years to the same girl. They are all pretty much the same when it comes to wheels. You can talk logic all day long with her about buying a used beat up car that needs lots of work.If you dont approach it right,your gonna come up a loser.She is gonna see some woman driving a new KIA FORTE. And think,thats what my hubby should buy me!:cry_smile: What you have to do if you want to stay sane is get that little Festy you have right now running tip top.Get it running so she feels "Safe" in it. Then you plant a little seed. Something along the lines of. "Honey,I'm kinda thinkin we need a second set of wheels"."How do YOU feel about that"? You want to get her involved in it. Then when she says "Maybe". You let that thought marinate. Then you ask her again a couple days later. And she now says "OK". You say,"Hey I got a great idea"! Why not get another Festy. The mileage is great,they are easy to park,we can fit 4 in the two car garage etc etc.Plus you tell her,"I can fix this new one faster because I've got experience from our other one".
                          My wife looked at me like I was nuts when I bought our Aspire. I made sure that it was running tip top before I let her drive it. She came to me @ a week after driving it and said. "Ya know,I like this little car". "I really can zip around in it,& I actually feel safer in it than our big car". So I started buying more, using the above process. She came to me and said. "What are you planning with all these cars? I told her a fleet. I want a fleet of them. Using the above explanation for my rational. She was like "oh that makes sense". It works,get her involved.Get her to think its her idea.Even better,get her to think that the car you are driving now, is yours. And the back up car will be hers,only better. The key to success is get the one you have now running tip top. If you cant do that, you might as well go buy her that new KIA.
                          Lastly as part of Fraternal Brotherhood of Festivites. You our sworn to total secrecy on the above methods of Festivary. Sharing our methodology is punishable by death.Good luck & Gods speed. Now go forth and conquer! (sounding of Festiva horns loudly blaring in the back ground)

You sir, are my new hero!! :headbang:

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                          1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                          1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                          Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Originally posted by htchbck View Post
                            Or just marry a woman that likes your festiva, and wants one of her own*... then they start multiplying.

*Note: This may not work out well if you are already married, as the state frowns on polygamy.
                            Not if your from Utah!:p
                            '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                            '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                            '92 Aqua parts Car
                            '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                            '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                            Your holy ghost will not save you.
                            Your God plutonium will not save you.
                            In fact...
                            ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Well, I'm not... lol
                              No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Planting an Aspire seed

Well I believe our "Festivite" methodology has worked on my better half. We average @ 50k a year on our DD,which happens to be an Aspire. So I get a lot of windshield time and I see lots of cars for sale in rural areas. But the ones I see are never for sale. You know that Capri sitting on the side of a garage with weeds growing up around it. Or that EGT on jack stands for so long the tires have dry rotted. We ALL have our cars that we drive buy daily,and say to ourselves.Hmmmm I should knock on his door. But due to lack of funds or courage we never stop to ask. Well I have two Aspire's like that,they are in peoples driveways. And they are extremely clean cars. And I always think, just stop and put a note on the window. ( Thats how I acquired my last Aspire BTW). But NOW I really need an engine.The Aspire that I bought off this guy is really getting low on Cyl PSI. My intentions were never to drive it on this motor. Well that didn't work.So Frt Crank,Cam,dizzy,valve cover seal later. I'm still driving it. The motor is an oil pumpdrool The car came with 20 gallons of extra oil in the trunk. And I just ran out of that stuff a month ago drooldrool So it needs a motor big deal...well it is a big deal because I put my "Replacement" engine in my sons Festy before he left for College. So what I'm getting at is I need a motor...now. I have another "Replacement" engine that's getting rebuilt on my bench. But that's for my 5 spd car. My thought process is this,if you need a motor,buy the whole car.And the rest is a Bonus right? Hmmmm time to start knocking on doors buddy. So I purposely drive 10min out of my way and stop and the house. You know the "House"The one with that car you "Lust" over. This "House" in the middle of no where has a Silver 2dr Aspire under a car port. It looks like its new. I cant see any rust,dents etc.And it still has the factory hub caps.(that's always a good sign) So I pull up to the drive with the intent of leaving a "Note". And lo and behold I see an "Older Couple" walk out and proceed to another car. The man looks at me and comes over and says "Can I help you"? I tell him I'm interested in the "Spire". And he says well I only use it now to drive "Next door". I'm like where is that? And he points to the house next to him :eeeeeek: He then tells me he has a hernia and his son who lives next door has just been diagnosed with leukemia. Of course I give him my condolences and wish him well. Then I ask him if he wants to sell,and he says I've never thought about it. But I can leave my number.So I did and came home to talk to the "Boss". So I have to share this with her,but I only have "One Chance" of gettn it right. I personally belive this was a "Divine Appointment". I've being "spying" this "Spire" for over two years.And I can say with all honesty that I've never seen anyone outside. So I have to convince my wife of great fortune. Easier said than done....so I pull out the "Festivite" training manual. And flip to the "Dropping the Bomb" section. And it clearly states make sure you hug & kiss you better half before dropping the bomb. Mention things like "Its great to see you,how as your day?" Also if at all possible,guide the conversation in a way that will invite her to inquire about this "Divine Appointment". I've found what works real well is say things like. "Oh I just stopped by this house that no one is ever around and this old couple came out. Then I'll add- "Its so cool I've been driving past this house for 2 yrs.and I've never seen anyone outside." "And when I heard that "still small voice" telling me to go put a note on the door,I drive up and they are walking out towards me!" Isnt that AMAZING..... thats the "Hook" right ther Gents. "Isn't that amazing". My whole day depends on Her reply to that question. Its very important how you deliver that line. And dont flinch till She responds. If you have read the guidelines and done your research. Her answer will be a "desirable" one. Well she kinda stood there and stared at me for what seemed like eternity. And threw a "Curve Ball" back to me and said "Why didn't you tell me you were gonna stop there"? DANG IT! Didn't see that coming :cry_smile: Think fast Dude your on thin ice! You cant lie.....that's in the Manual. Lying is forbidden,you must use your Melon.Hmmmmmmm think fast Son your starting to squirm. "Oh that because I wasnt planning on stopping Babe." "I was driving and thinking about how WE need an engine". "And then I was Divinely Reminded of that house with the Aspire." "Isnt that cool how they were outside right when I pulled up"? Then before she could say anything I added- "I'd pay like 3K for that car,its mint" Notice what I just did there.... I told her how much the car may worth,but not how much we will actually spend. So...you know you've done good when the next words out of her mouth are. "Well we will have talk about that" BINGO! She sold,that's Her way of saying "OKAY" but I'm driving the Bus. When they say "Talk about it" don't get offended & blow up. You loose all progress you just made. But rather let the conversation "Marinade". Better even to slowly change the subject without Her knowing it Time to breath easy and grab a Beer.You've earned it. Know I'm hoping and praying this Gent will call. If this is all "Meant to be" he will call. I wont call that would be no fun. Now to go find some cash! :eeeeeek:
                                Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                                Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                                Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Working...
                                X