Wife doesn't understand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wife doesn't understand

I drive 150 miles everyday to work and back. My wife and i have kids that she has to use her van to take them everywhere. So I've been looking at getting a "backup" festiva. Last night she ask me do realize you we have to pay insurance on a car that is just going to sit there. I ask her does she realize I can't go to work If my 22 year old car doesn't start.
    So my problem is do I get another festiva for backup or do I take the chances on not being able to work one day or more depending on the problem with the car. Or do I just go get a newer car with payments and insurance. I don't like to fight with her.

EVO deck'd out with Bruce Lee
    First time owner
    89 L carb'd - white / still needs work
    Bought for mpg and only paid $250

Originally posted by jbuck1975 View Post
    I drive 150 miles everyday to work and back. My wife and i have kids that she has to use her van to take them everywhere. So I've been looking at getting a "backup" festiva. Last night she ask me do realize you we have to pay insurance on a car that is just going to sit there. I ask her does she realize I can't go to work If my 22 year old car doesn't start.
    So my problem is do I get another festiva for backup or do I take the chances on not being able to work one day or more depending on the problem with the car. Or do I just go get a newer car with payments and insurance. I don't like to fight with her.

I don't know about you but all I have to do is call my insurance and have them switch cars. Takes me 5 minutes to put insurance on my other festiva that is my "backup" festiva. So I pay for insurance on 2 of my 3 cars and when one car goes down I can swap insurance
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
    The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

When in doubt, buying another Festiva is always the correct option.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
      1989 L - 247K miles Slick
      1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
      Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

My thing is. I work at 3 am. Insurance company wouldn't be up at that time of the morning.
        Do I just not pay for the insurance for the car that sits there? How much extra would insurance be on a extra festiva?

First time owner

Comment

I have 2 on the road there so cheap to insure i dont see the problem here, I just think the wife secretly hates your festivas and know if you get another thats less time youll spend with her ahah
          93 L B6T DD http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=37751
          RIP_90 LuX http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=32249
          RIP 88 LX / B8-MEhttp://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=26398

RJ

Comment

My thing is. I work at 3 am. Insurance company wouldn't be up at that time of the morning.
            Do I just not pay for the insurance for the car that sits there? How much extra would insurance be on a extra festiva?

I don't pay on a car that just sits. But I imagine when you are getting insurance for it, you typically say how much you will be driving it. Maybe they have better rates when you say it is only for emergencies. I'd ask your agent what would be best for your situation. But I would say having a back up car is a good investment especially a nice cheap Festiva.

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

Depends on your history, driving record, blah, blah, blah... For me, adding a Festiva to my insurance runs around 28 bucks a month. So for me, if I doubted my primary vehicle, having a back up makes sense. How much money are you going to lose if you can't get to work, that would be the next question.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
              1989 L - 247K miles Slick
              1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
              Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie1717 View Post
                But I would say having a back up car is a good investment especially a nice cheap Festiva.
                That's what I'm thinking.

First time owner

Comment

MAYBE I should do something minor to it and call in for a week and let's she If she likes that!!

First time owner

Comment

MAYBE I should do something minor to it and call in for a week and let's she If she likes that!!

Then take her car :p and make her drive you everywhere

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

I'd just tell her "Hey, insurance is like $30 a month, me missing that one day of work is X amount of dollars. Plus if I'm feeling up to it, you could possibly maybe even drive it once to the store." LOL

Comment

I was only paying like 14$ a month for my aspire. limited liability ofc.. A backup car is always a good idea, I had one, until I broke it.
                        2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                        1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                        1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                        1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                        1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                        1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                        1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                        1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie1717 View Post
                          Then take her car :p and make her drive you everywhere
                          That would do it in a heartbeat! LOL

Seriously, liability shouldnt be much at all, and a back up is always needed for you and her!
                          What if her vehicle breaks down? The backup can be used both ways!
                          Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                          Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                          Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                          Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                          http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

She has a vagnina... you can not win.
                            money pit

No spitters were I work, you swallow it all. The Company feels if you already have it in your mouth why waste it.

Comment

Originally posted by NovaSS View Post
                              She has a vagnina... you can not win.
                              Yup, bout as soild as the laws of physics.

Comment

Working...
                              X