Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What products/methods do you use to clean carbon buildup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

before pic
    Last edited by zoom zoom; 02-17-2012, 02:05 AM.
    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
    1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
    1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
    1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
    1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
    1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
    1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

hahaahahahaa.. my fiance drove to another walmart and found this.. so I'll get it clean, and should have enough to clean the block!

2008 Kia Rio- new beater
      1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

This is what you need....

and a good wire brush for the drill. wear glove cause this stuff will dry out the skin on your hands and it gets real ugly and painfulk for about 2-3 weeks. ... also know that most advance auto store have carb cleaner and its cheaper than brake clean. works just as good. Are you useing lapping compound when you are trying to lap the valves? pretty much can't do anything without it.

Comment

Either one of those, put the soap hose from your pressure washer in the bottle
          and let her rip! Salvage a old dishwasher and finish clean parts in it. Most are
          darn near free and they do the work for you!! If you are going to paint then
          use the dry cycle, paint stick great to hot dry super clean parts. Use carb cleaner
          and/or gasket remover with little wire brush to remove carbon that the pressure
          washer missed. Then throw it in the salvaged dishwasher to finish!
          Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

I've got a gallon jug of purple degreaser.. It's good for cleaning soot and a years worth of exhaust smoke off bulkheads, but other than that it's never done me much good. The dawn power dissolver is some serious cleaning stuff....

I got it cleaned in time to drop off at the machine shop.. even tho I got that one cylinder to seal, I think it's probably better to leave that to a professional that is going to cut new seats and grind/match the valves. They're milling the head .020, doing a 3-way valve job, grinding the valves, and installing the new stem seals for me. When it gets back I just have to put it back together and it should all have a nice seal that's gonna last instead of some botch job in my kitchen lol...
            Last edited by zoom zoom; 02-17-2012, 08:30 PM.
            2008 Kia Rio- new beater
            1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
              Can you hot tank aluminum?

I dunno, the cost probably isn't worth it. it's almost clean, there HAS to be a way for me to do it myself.
              next time pay 175$ and have machine shop do it! it comes back brand new I just picked one up today , you have already spent more money if you value your time at 12$ an hr
              93 L B6T DD http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=37751
              RIP_90 LuX http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=32249
              RIP 88 LX / B8-MEhttp://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=26398

RJ

Comment

For future use, even though it's not real close.

Circleville Oil Co. (Pacific Pride) sells a product that should do any cleaning
                you may do in the future. B100 (100% biodiesel).

I used to make my own biodiesel and have used it for various cleaning jobs. I use the B100, then Dawn dishwashing soap to clean off the B100.

It's a dang good solvent, is biodegradable, and cheap even buying it at the pump.

Comment

This picture is after a good soaking with a 50/50 mix of the purple stuff you get at Home Depot and water, used a little carb cleaner in the hard to get spots.

Dont have a before pic, but that head had close to 100k mi on it.
                  Last edited by jjk1224; 02-17-2012, 09:03 PM.
                  2002 Ford Mustang GT Mineral Grey 5 spd
                  1996 Ford Explorer XLT AWD White POS
                  1992 Ford Festiva GL Metallic Blue 5 spd

Comment

Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
                    I've got a gallon jug of purple degreaser.. It's good for cleaning soot and a years worth of exhaust smoke off bulkheads, but other than that it's never done me much good. The dawn power dissolver is some serious cleaning stuff....

I got it cleaned in time to drop off at the machine shop.. even tho I got that one cylinder to seal, I think it's probably better to leave that to a professional that is going to cut new seats and grind/match the valves. They're milling the head .020, doing a 3-way valve job, grinding the valves, and installing the new stem seals for me. When it gets back I just have to put it back together and it should all have a nice seal that's gonna last instead of some botch job in my kitchen lol...
                    If you salvage an old dishwasher it should be near where you
                    are working on your car, and it makes easy work of all the parts
                    YOU are working with, not the machine shop. Even the nuts and
                    bolts are super clean. Most intakes and all the plastic fits right in.
                    Stop it and rotate things once or twice, Hot water, good soap and
                    high pressure jets...it really works!
                    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

lol, i'll definately keep it in mind, if anyone I know gets a new dishwasher i'll snag the old one. Neither of my dishwashers see much use, but I'm sure one would complain if I used the other for car parts. I already get yelled at for taking up counter space, but the funny thing is before I went in there, there wasn't any counter space! At least the dishes are clean now right?
                      2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                      1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

Working...
                      X