No announcement yet.

Thinking of buying another one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok. Today I moved it to my Grandma's garage because from the little bit of tinkering I did last night told me it's going to need some dis-assembly.

I pulled everything to check the timing. Crank at TDC, the cam marks were 180* off- at 6 and 9. I took off the timing belt and moved the cam. Engine ran exactly the same. I did this again when I got the crank at TDC and the cam marks at 6 and 9. Ran the same. I assume the cam timing can be 180 off from the crank? Meaning the cam is timed for the compression stroke of 1 when the crank is on exhaust stroke. Would the engine even run if it was? This has me a bit confused.
    Overall the engine runs and revs good. Just sounds HORRIBLE. Also has a significant front crank seal leak. How would I lock an auto tranny engine to break loose the crank bolt?

Since moving the timing belt yielded no results, I decided to take off the valve cover. It's very black in there, but no sludge and no metal pieces or sparkle.
    I started the engine to check for oil pressure and it definitely has it. Didn't notice if all the rockers were squirting but some were. I got some backfire and odd sounds, too but I wasn't sure if that was from the valve cover being off or the throttle body being off.

For now I have kind of hit a dead end on where to go next. If nothing else I may end up pulling the cylinder head. I fear the repair at this point is a new engine, though.
    ~Austin
    Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

With the crank at the TDC the marks on the cam gear should be at 12 and 3... straight up and pointing to the front of the car. How did you determine the crank position?
      Ian
      Calgary AB, Canada
      93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
      59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

I lined up the small notch in the crank sprocket with the arrow on the block. I know the cam marks should be 12 and 3. When I checked with the crank at TDC, they were 6 and 9 so I moved it to 12 and 3 without moving the crank. The car still ran and ran the same.
        ~Austin
        Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

Today I redid the timing belt just to verify that. Still ran the same.
          Did a compression test:
          1- 180psi
          2- 100psi
          3- 160psi
          4- 120psi

I was out of ideas so I pulled off the cylinder head.
          Overall everything looked ok. The cylinder walls felt smooth and didn't have a noticeable ridge at the top of the cylinder.
          I don't really know what to look for on the head for burned valves or cracks and such but it looked good.

Only odd thing was cylinder 1. There was some crusty carbon on the piston and the other three were clean.
          I pulled the plug wire on #1 before and the engine sounded and ran the same so maybe 1 wasn't firing?

Pictures:

Cylinders 3 & 4

Cylinders 1 & 2

Combustion chamber 1

Combustion chamber 2

Combustion chamber 3

Combustion chamber 4

Anything that might cause the loud rattling noise?

Or is my next thing going to be dropping the oil pan and checking rod play?
          ~Austin
          Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

Any ideas? Could the carbon in #1 and the noise be related?
            ~Austin
            Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

I got around to working on it again.

I tried to pull the oil pan but couldn't get the end of it past the studs. Didn't feel like messing with all of the hassle of removing the transmission plate.
              However, I was able to see through the gap at the front end.

I poked what I believe to be the #1 connecting rod. And it moved. A lot.

Here's a video. It keeps loosing focus but towards the end you can really see what I'm talking about.

~Austin
              Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

Originally posted by Oren09 View Post
                Today I redid the timing belt just to verify that. Still ran the same.
                Did a compression test:
                1- 180psi
                2- 100psi
                3- 160psi
                4- 120psi

I was out of ideas so I pulled off the cylinder head.
                Overall everything looked ok. The cylinder walls felt smooth and didn't have a noticeable ridge at the top of the cylinder.
                I don't really know what to look for on the head for burned valves or cracks and such but it looked good.

Only odd thing was cylinder 1. There was some crusty carbon on the piston and the other three were clean.
                I pulled the plug wire on #1 before and the engine sounded and ran the same so maybe 1 wasn't firing?

Pictures:

Cylinders 3 & 4

Cylinders 1 & 2

Combustion chamber 1

Combustion chamber 2

Combustion chamber 3

Combustion chamber 4

Anything that might cause the loud rattling noise?

Or is my next thing going to be dropping the oil pan and checking rod play?
                I just realized I have the combustion chambers labeled in reverse..
                ~Austin
                Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

Working...
                X