NEED HELP! Buying my first festiva!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
    and those jackholes continue to be on the road, i'm not a fan... (i mean the big truck, i could care less about a jeep, they only weigh 24-2900lbs vs the 60-80k lbs rig)
    You would be pissed if you ever saw my old work truck, frame rotten from fertilizer 52k lbs on the frame (no trailer or additional brakes) and bouncing up and down dirt roads made that bounce, not to mention the fact that the power steering hose completely let out on me while on the road and 50mph curve was a 40mph curve max. And that was one of the better trucks, i got stuck in a backup truck when my computer failed, only 3braking wheels, you could see day light through the roof, the frame was even worse, mix matched tires, a drivers door that didn't latch. The thing was so worn out it would do 60 on the floor but only 3 of us were dumb enough to do it

Comment

Yeah, my 91' has factory undercoating, I don't think it would have survived this long if it didn't.

21 salt soaked Ohio winters.
      1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
      2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
      1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

Thanks for the info I will definitely bring a tool kit and poke around to make sure the frame is alright. The car only has 62000kms though why would a car rot that fast?

Comment

I never had a problem except with a couple of moron drivers that cut me off. I didn't enjoy the backup truck but you have to do what you have to do, the bills don't stop especially for a college student

Comment

Originally posted by Mercilesslee View Post
            Thanks for the info I will definitely bring a tool kit and poke around to make sure the frame is alright. The car only has 62000kms though why would a car rot that fast?
            20 years of salt and road dirt adds up from a corrosion standpoint. if it isn't washed off regularly, milage doesn't mean squat. it could have 10k on it and sit for 20 years and still do the same as a car that has 300k depending on how much it was exposed to. it's about exposure and time in this instance.
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Anybody on here think they could find a picture of under a festiva and point out the spots I should be checking for sure. Just in case the undercoating covers up all of the bad spots?

Comment

BERT! this is the festiva from the auction and its been on the road for a year after it! CRAP! Its a 5 hour drive but I really want the car I'm not sure what to do. Check your PM when you get a chance I'd like to know more about it.

Comment

I question that odometer... I would check under those seat covers to see what condition the seats are in. If they're worn out or heavily torn, it probably has alot more than 63,XXX original kilometers.

I agree with everybody else, it looks like it would taste fantastic with all that salt on it, but rust destroys these cars VERY fast.

Personally, i wouldn't buy it since it's an automatic. The manuals are alot more fun !

Comment

I know I would really prefer a standard car as well but for 700$ it may be worth picking up for me. It has had a safety test and passed it within 12 months so I'm hoping the rust is more cosmetic. It is incredibly hard to believe the mileage though . I'm so torn don't know what to do. She's moving to BC at the end of the month and I want a festiva so bad. She just took quick pictures with our roads out here in ontario my car looks like this right now too lol. I'm going to see what Bert says about it then make my decision. I love this site everyone here is incredibly willing to help out.

Comment

Just at a glance it doesn't look like a 62k car. It looks like it's got some rust underneath the door and beginning at the front of the rear wheel well. The back seat looks to have some stains and I'm always skeptical when I see seat covers. From personal experience I'd say have someone check the vehicle out for you if you can before you make the 5 hour trip. Or have the seller take a video of everything...including the underside. I've been burned in the passed when purchasing a car sight unseen.
                      -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
                      Random Festiva Parts
                      Festiva Non-Swoopy Power Drivers Mirror

Comment

...plus it sounds like you'd really like a 5 speed. Be patient and wait for what you really want. Don't settle. You'll end up just beating yourself up about it later...especially if the car ends up being a junker!
                        -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
                        Random Festiva Parts

Comment

for what it is worth, I like the split rear seat:highly_amused:
                          Barbie Car - '90 L-plus_2nd Gen SOHC B6+rear turbo @ 8 psi
                          Festycul - '9? 5spd_full roll cage, completely gutted, hydro g-series, B6T @ 15psi, rocketchip ecu,Willwood master cylinder, Mit. Galant VR-4 rotors, Hawk racing pads, capri knuckles, 323 LCA's, BrideLow Max seats, 5pt. harness, lexan windows, fuel cell, aluminum radiator, 323 coilovers
                          Elvis - '93 L 5spd_B3+T build in progress
                          WhiteGirl - '93 GL Immaculate shape, deciding what to build with it?

Comment

lol me too!. This car does have some good features though, its an LX low km and I can save it from being destroyed by the next person who drives it into the ground. I really hope the rot isn't that bad. The owner is sending me a video tonight of under the car and the car running i'll post it as soon as i get it.

Comment

Glad to hear you are getting a video. Like I said. I would never buy another vehicle without seeing it in person unless I was given very very detailed photos or video or had someone I trust check it out for me. I paid someone 100 bucks to cover their gas just to go check out a car for me that was several states away. It was worth it not to waste the 3000 I was going to pay for a crappy rusted vehicle.
                              -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
                              Random Festiva Parts

Comment

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like hilariouslee.

Here is the picture of her passenger side door @Bert please check it out. She says there is no bondo but i'm definitely seeing a patch on it. More pictures to come tell me what you think.

Comment

Working...
                                X