NEED HELP! Buying my first festiva!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mercilesslee View Post
    True but in Canada I have to get it safetied again when I buy it so I hope it passes :S
    I hope so too! You never did tell me where that car is now. There are some gray area avenues that can be explored (for a safety), if need be. Canucks are notorious cheapskates and L models outnumbered LXs by about 10 to 1, I think, so in many ways you already have a prize. And the insides was as close to new as it gets. The fact that the recent-new owner put seat covers on it are also good news. I do not remember what the mileage was when I looked at it but it was not significantly different from what it is now.

Comment

The car is still in winchester ottawa, but when I purchase it, it will be coming to kitchener ontario approx 5 hours away. I can't pick the car until the end of the month because she is insured until then and taking it for her G test so it will be officially mine on the 28th. Maybe we could meet up then and go over the car before I go to get it safetied and leave the area. I'll happily drive it to where you are (assuming it makes it ahahah). Maybe I could purchase some doors and panels off you if it turns out these ones are rotted away. Anyways thanks for all the info thus far the forum has been great.

Also I have 1 more question according to this chart http://web.archive.org/web/200101050...a/options.html there is no such thing as a 1991 LX model is that true? If so is it a 1990? let me know what you guys think about that.

Comment

Correct. No such thing as a '91 LX. '91 it would be a GL if the bumpers match, but that backseat is DEFINITELY an LX back seat.

Http://www.Youtube.com/TheresGabe

1991 Festiva L Red: Daily Driver
        1990 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
        1988 Festiva L Silver: R.I.P.
        1991 Festiva L Red B6T: R.I.P.
        1989 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
        1995 Aspire 2-door White: R.I.P.
        1995 Aspire 4-door Red: R.I.P.

Comment

So this car is most likely a 1990 auto. It has LX on the back hatch and has the split seats. But the car fax report says it was made in 1991 (the VIN #)

In other news I may have found my 5 speed already! @bert what do you think of this one?

Comment

Also I have 1 more question according to this chart http://web.archive.org/web/200101050...a/options.html there is no such thing as a 1991 LX model is that true? If so is it a 1990? let me know what you guys think about that.
            According to the VIN number you supplied (KNJBT07H6M6110773), The car is a 1991. The tenth digit in the VIN number gives you the year of the car. The letter "M" indicates the car is a '91. If it was a '90, the tenth digit would be an "L".
            You gonna race that thing?
            http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

So how is it an LX lol? So confused

Comment

When the car was ordered by the dealer there were packages to choose from. The packages were L , L Plus, GL and LX. These were combinations of different types of seats, steering columns, mirrors, things like that. Sport and other paint options were also choice variations. This makes some combinations a little rare compared to others. Also note that I am far from an expert on this subject, others can provide details if you are interested.

The VIN number provides a number unique to that car. It also gives some information about the car but none of the letters in the VIN have anything to do with the model numbers . The engine type, the model year , Country made, things like that are all in the VIN number.

Congratulations on your car and enjoy!
                Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

The 5 speed looks pretty decent. And cheap. And has a spoiler!
                  -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
                  Random Festiva Parts
                  Festiva Non-Swoopy Power Drivers Mirror

Comment

The car is still in winchester ottawa, but when I purchase it, it will be coming to kitchener ontario approx 5 hours away. I can't pick the car until the end of the month because she is insured until then and taking it for her G test so it will be officially mine on the 28th. Maybe we could meet up then and go over the car before I go to get it safetied and leave the area. I'll happily drive it to where you are (assuming it makes it ahahah). Maybe I could purchase some doors and panels off you if it turns out these ones are rotted away. Anyways thanks for all the info thus far the forum has been great.

Winchester is a hop skip and jump from Manotick (where I live). My sister lives in Cambridge (Kitchener/Waterloo) so I know for a fact that it is 500 k (300 miles) to where you are going and often this becomes a 6 hour journey. Give me a call before you come up so as I can show you some Festy-type hospitality.
                    By the way TheresGabe: Canada only ever sold L models and LXs and I have personally had a good look at (even stripped parts off 2 of them) 4 LXs with rear wipers/better cloth/split back seats/power mirrors and black paint around the windows. Last OEM LX (a 93) I scavenged seats out of even had the passenger seat rails for a tray. Didn't look that close at Mecilesslee's car but I'll bet it also has the rails, and maybe even the tray.

Comment

PS: that 5 speed looks pretty darn good too. Why am I a sucker for red when it comes to Festys?

Comment

Because red is classic hahaha. I emailed the guy and asked if it wouldnt start at all and if it did, does it leak any oil? And he responded no leaks but not sure what's wrong with it. I wish it ran I don't know enough about cars to get them running again plus its like 10 hours away hahaha and a trailor would cost more than the car to get it home.

Guess i'm still on the hunt.

Comment

Because red is classic hahaha. I emailed the guy and asked if it wouldnt start at all and if it did, does it leak any oil? And he responded no leaks but not sure what's wrong with it. I wish it ran I don't know enough about cars to get them running again plus its like 10 hours away hahaha and a trailor would cost more than the car to get it home.

Beauty of cars like that (not running) is you get them cheap. If the body is sound, anything and everything else is gravy, and repairable. $250-300 ought to get you the Windsor car and I wouldn't go any higher if there are any missing parts and the owner is not willing to assure you the tranny and motor were OK just before it miraculously died of no apparent reason. Simple fuel pump, dizzie or ignition module swap often lights these cars right up and in an instant. Electronics and OBDI confounded a lot of car owners that grew up in the 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s.

Comment

I had to rent a Uhaul trailer to tow mine home, only like $50-$60, you would be spending more money on gas than the trailer.
                            Last edited by TorqueEffect; 01-09-2013, 10:55 PM.
                            1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
                            2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
                            1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

I really like that red 5 speed, very nice !

Comment

I know wish it was feasible for me to get it. but guys check this out http://www.break.com/pictures/greate...is-car-2404175 found a festiva... a very strange one.

Comment

Working...
                                X