what mpg do you get at

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
    Only the aspire got the lockup converter. And I think maybe only 96-97. Maybe even just 97.

Its a centrifugal clutch. Its not manually controllable. Maybe someone who knows that stuff could modify it to change the lockup speed?
    Just the fat that its a Lock Up is awesome news,I had no idea one was available. I'm guessing it would bolt up to any Festy/Aspire ATX. I tried going to DACCO & check availability but didnt get very far. I'm really curious what kind of gains I would get,its got to be worth @ 5% wouldnt you think?
    Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
    Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
    Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
      Just the fat that its a Lock Up is awesome news,I had no idea one was available. I'm guessing it would bolt up to any Festy/Aspire ATX. I tried going to DACCO & check availability but didnt get very far. I'm really curious what kind of gains I would get,its got to be worth @ 5% wouldnt you think?
      Need measurements? I have one I keep stubbing toes on under build bench... Prolly another in a semi trailer too. I'm guessing use the aspire flex plate if the tq won't bolt to fiesty plate? And then if the aspire plate bolts to fiesty crank... Assuming there's no balance issues and starter/teeth issues. I can look into stuff if you want.

You'd get good gains. I'm sure 3rd is 1:1??

making certain the input is locked to crank for a true 1:1 to wheels is a no brainer.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro
      Last edited by jason_; 05-31-2013, 04:26 PM.

Comment

10-12% from the guys that have done it on ecommoder.com here is a wiki about it

Potential issues:

- Possible Jerky shift changes
        - Possible damage to the torque converter if a shift change occurs under a high load
        - Lower engine RPMs (decreased acceleration performance) when the torque converter lock is engaged in some lower gears as most cars usually won't engage the torque converter lock in low gears
        Last edited by mikeyjd; 06-01-2013, 01:11 PM.
        My Fuel Log

See post #10 for my tips on fuel economy

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyjd View Post
          10-12% from the guys that have done it on ecommoder.com here is a wiki about it

Potential issues:

- Possible Jerky shift changes
          - Possible damage to the torque converter if a shift change occurs under a high load
          - Lower engine RPMs (decreased acceleration performance) when the torque converter lock is engaged in some lower gears as most cars usually won't engage the torque converter lock in low gears
          Mike this mod is for an electronically controlled converter. The one he was referring to is the 97 Aspire unit,which is done with a clutch and centrifugal weights.
          Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
          Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
          Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Mike this mod is for an electronically controlled converter. The one he was referring to is the 97 Aspire unit,which is done with a clutch and centrifugal weights.
            ah. I guess I just assumed it was e-controlled. I don't have anything useful about those ^
            My Fuel Log

See post #10 for my tips on fuel economy

Comment

Originally posted by jason_ View Post

And I'm soon to test milage in a daily aspire 1.3 manual after a serious engine optimization/swap. She just burned another valve..... Soo...

new block is 20 over, jumped from 5cc dished to 3cc dished pistons, and milled 0.048" off the head, which I'm sure shrank the chamber a cc or so, (about 28cc before I started if I recall). And newer exhaust valves with full meat to eat up more cc chamber. I'm sure I'll be mid 10s to high 10s for CR..... I'll let ppl know when I get it together and broke in.

TominMo & I both have Aspires so it will be great to compare notes with you.Please add location to your info so we have an idea of you temps & terrain. Is your 5sp from an Aspire?
              and 1200 miles later....

torque is noticeable. always breaking tires loose on dry pavement.

N/A, stock intake/injectors
              low to mid 50s easily.
              8* base advanced.
              92/93 octane
              nkg 11s, had 5s from the previous burning oil, a week on those the CR ate the ceramic/porcelain (!!)
              160 t stat
              factory cam
              factory tire size. balloons call for 44psi, I run them pumped with 50.
              no a/c, no p/s. no stereo/amp to drag alt.

mostly flat ground, couple of serious hills. used to loose rpm in OD. now she gains in OD.

I'm quite satisfied for such a blind build.

but if I'm running serous wot 3500/4000+, the ecm pulls the timing so advanced, she still chatters occasionally from the quicker burn from higher compression.. an expensive fill of 110 octane didn't help. Grrr. pricey confirmation

Last edited by Pu241; 12-16-2013, 10:12 PM.

Comment

I don't know if it still relevant But my 1990 for festiva with 400,000 miles on a non-rebuilt motor gets 48/MPG. Oh And I burn about a quart of oil a tank... But then I'm a dottering old man in a 20 year old body.

Comment

Working...
                X