Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Full under body panel for 10% fuel efficiency gain. (about 20% aero drag reduction)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He didn't achieve a perfect setup, I don't think. He was still using a radiator, though a smaller one than stock, and I'm sure you couldn't touch the exhaust comfortably.

I saw a video of it running, and I have pics of the Delorean that was converted too. As well as having the patent saved. I'm a big fan. Wish he was still around.

Still impressive.

Last edited by sketchman; 06-05-2013, 04:22 PM.
    Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
    91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Have you noticed any ease in maintaining speed with the aero mods? And if so, how much did it take to notice? I think I'm going nuts.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

I'm late in making comments but fiberglas pink (in and around the Cat and muffler) is 'glass based' and will melt and deform but if you can get hold of Roxul-brand batt insulation (Canadian-made) which is made of mineral slag material that stuff is impervious to heat and to soaking up moisture. It is (and I've used it for 20 years) primarily used for house wall and attic insulation because it's so much better than "pink" in every way, and you cut it (and shape it) with a bread knife.

Comment

Originally posted by sketchman View Post
          Have you noticed any ease in maintaining speed with the aero mods? And if so, how much did it take to notice? I think I'm going nuts.
          Yeah i have to use a much lighter foot on the pedal or else I speed up to 65 or 70 accidentally. It actually takes quite a bit of concentration but I've developed certain sitting postures that make constant throttle less difficult. I've been doing coast down test's for a couple months now on one of my main roads back toward home that rarely has anyone else on it. After adding the panel and the weight reduction stuff my car was still going 15mph at the stop sign where it stopped during the first coast downs. I moved my target engine shutoff point further back and at a lower speed and still hit the stop sign at around 5-7mph consistently. Why do you think you're going nuts?

Originally posted by Bert View Post
          I'm late in making comments but fiberglas pink (in and around the Cat and muffler) is 'glass based' and will melt and deform but if you can get hold of Roxul-brand batt insulation (Canadian-made) which is made of mineral slag material that stuff is impervious to heat and to soaking up moisture. It is (and I've used it for 20 years) primarily used for house wall and attic insulation because it's so much better than "pink" in every way, and you cut it (and shape it) with a bread knife.
          Yeah I knew about this and I'm using the temp resistant/flame retarded white insulation.
          My Fuel Log

See post #10 for my tips on fuel economy

Comment

Below is all I've done, and it seems to have a very noticeable effect. The old ricer staple hood prop and an upper grill block. I still haven't filled up to check it, but it seems like I can feel the difference already.
            It just seems like a very tiny change to have made a noticeable driveability difference already.

Thoughts?

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

That out to lower the under hood pressure.
              Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

^That was part of my reasoning in doing it. Lessen air going in, and give what does go in a place to go that's better than under the car. I just didn't expect to actually feel any difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

Originally posted by sketchman View Post
                  ^That was part of my reasoning in doing it. Lessen air going in, and give what does go in a place to go that's better than under the car. I just didn't expect to actually feel any difference.
                  I've felt a noticeable difference with every mod I've done thus far. I did similar mods to my 1ton diesel truck couldn't tell at all. These vehicles are so small that even slight modification like taking wind shield wipers off can be felt.
                  My Fuel Log

Comment

the whole under the car shield would just be a pain for when you do an oil change or for critters to hides in and when one does and the exhaust kills it get ready for you car to smell really bad.
                    fftheair:fftheair::error::error:ops:ops::dog::blob6::blob6::blob6::munky2::munky2::puk e::puke::puke:
                    ;
                    www.facebook.com/rhodestiva ;
                    rhodestiva@gmail.com ;
                    http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=44851
                    http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=419
                    '92 Festiva L M/T
                    '93 Festiva GL A/T

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyjd View Post
                      I've felt a noticeable difference with every mod I've done thus far. I did similar mods to my 1ton diesel truck couldn't tell at all. These vehicles are so small that even slight modification like taking wind shield wipers off can be felt.
                      Good to know. Can't wait to fill up now.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

Originally posted by RhodeStiva View Post
                        the whole under the car shield would just be a pain for when you do an oil change or for critters to hides in and when one does and the exhaust kills it get ready for you car to smell really bad.
                        fftheair:fftheair::error::error:ops:ops::dog::blob6::blob6::blob6::munky2::munky2::puk e::puke::puke:
                        takes about 10 extra minutes to take it off and put it back on. so far no critter deaths hmmmmmm
                        My Fuel Log

Comment

Working...
                        X