rear turbo questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear turbo questions

What are some of the disadvantages of a rear turbo? What does the extra length do to the intake if anything? Anything else that may make me not do it?

Now what are the advantages?
    -Bryant

It sounds cool
    91GL BP/F3A with boost
    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Cons...

1. Ground clearance, although mine does not scrap very often, but is lowered.

2. Driving thru creeks, and rivers. It just doesn't work, ask me how I know..lol

3. Dealing with haters (easiest way is a test ride)

4. We'll that's about all I see, I'm sure others have their two cents

Pros....

1. Turbo, that's all to be said about that

2. No intercooler, so no hacking up a front bumper, can be made very hidden, aka Barbie car

3. Being different

4. Sounds way cool

5. Faster than bhazard

6. Turbo stays cool, which extends life of turbo.

7. Oil lines add capacity, and cooling

I can go on and on
      Last edited by eurotiva; 10-10-2013, 12:03 PM.
      -Greg
      Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
      BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
      Redneck Engineer
      FOTY - '09
      5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

There will be more turbo lag when you put your foot in to the floor.
        Since there will be more air in the extra length of tube.
        It will have to compress all of that air before the boost reaches your engine.

People usually mount under the hood because its closer to the intake and less turbo lag

Since it's at the rear there will be less heat as energy to propel the turbo.
        But it may also deliver a cooler intake charge as a result as well as the extra intake piping
        To help "wick" extra heat away before the intercooler.

Giving denser cooler air.
        Last edited by rmoltis; 10-10-2013, 02:01 PM.
        Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

Originally posted by rmoltis View Post

Since it's at the rear there will be less heat as energy to propel the turbo.
          But it may also deliver a cooler intake charge as a result as well as the extra intake piping
          To help "wick" extra heat away before the intercooler.

Giving denser cooler air.
          No intercooler needed.
          Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
          Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
          "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

When my B6 was rear-turboed, I never experienced any lag that I could notice. Depends somewhat on the diameter of pipe you are running back to the intake.
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Lol, you guys crack me up. I like #5.
              -Bryant

Comment

i Have rode in euro and i don't feel any lag when greg gets on it.
                ;
                www.facebook.com/rhodestiva ;
                rhodestiva@gmail.com ;
                http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=44851
                http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=419
                '92 Festiva L M/T
                '93 Festiva GL A/T

Comment

No need for moding ir buying a turbo header
                  -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
                  -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

Comment

People can say lag, but do they or have they had a rear turbo car?.same concept as a garden hose. When you turn it on the whole hose, water, air, or a mixture there of, is pressurized almost instantly.

Has anyone ever measured the overall length of the piping under the hood including intercooler. I know the pipe under my car is 7.5 feet long. Probably another two feet at each end, not really that much different
                    -Greg
                    Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
                    BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                    Redneck Engineer
                    FOTY - '09
                    5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Originally posted by Gomez View Post
                      Lol, you guys crack me up. I like #5.
                      TOO FUNNY
                      Barbie Car - '90 L-plus_2nd Gen SOHC B6+rear turbo @ 8 psi
                      Festycul - '9? 5spd_full roll cage, completely gutted, hydro g-series, B6T @ 15psi, rocketchip ecu,Willwood master cylinder, Mit. Galant VR-4 rotors, Hawk racing pads, capri knuckles, 323 LCA's, BrideLow Max seats, 5pt. harness, lexan windows, fuel cell, aluminum radiator, 323 coilovers
                      Elvis - '93 L 5spd_B3+T build in progress
                      WhiteGirl - '93 GL Immaculate shape, deciding what to build with it?

Comment

no cat & no muffler needed! when your racing for $$$ & you open the hood youve got em!!! ask festevil3:whip2:
                        Never Hire a Boy to do a Man's Job!!

Comment

Originally posted by eurotiva View Post
                          People can say lag, but do they or have they had a rear turbo car?.same concept as a garden hose. When you turn it on the whole hose, water, air, or a mixture there of, is pressurized almost instantly.

Has anyone ever measured the overall length of the piping under the hood including intercooler. I know the pipe under my car is 7.5 feet long. Probably another two feet at each end, not really that much different

And i could be totally wrong but Doesn't the dia of the pipe run back and forth play into that equation?
                          -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
                          -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

Comment

I love my rear turbo car, hands down my favorite one! They can be the ultimate sleeper, most NA Honda guys think you just have a weird cold air intake. After the race is over they know something up and don't wanna' give me there money, but they never ask me if it is boosted.

Festycul - '9? 5spd_full roll cage, completely gutted, hydro g-series, B6T @ 15psi, rocketchip ecu,Willwood master cylinder, Mit. Galant VR-4 rotors, Hawk racing pads, capri knuckles, 323 LCA's, BrideLow Max seats, 5pt. harness, lexan windows, fuel cell, aluminum radiator, 323 coilovers

Comment

Brake boost it when racing, and I promise there is no lag!! ....a little trick Eurotiva taught me

Comment

Working...
                              X