4 speed vs 5 speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thank you guys for your help

any idea where i could find shifter bushings rock auto has nothing that I can find
    Last edited by 350freak; 03-10-2015, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 350freak View Post
      thank you guys for your help

any idea where i could find shifter bushings rock auto has nothing that I can find
      Do a search here on the forum on shifter bushings; lots of material to read, various ways to go about it.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

As far as shifter bushings, I've seen other's postings saying they are available from NAPA. I got some thru the Kia dealer but had to wait 3-4 days and were about $12 for 4.
        "Blue92"- 92L 5 spd, original owner- 185K, B8,DD..
        "Pedro"-88L 5-spd, B6D (built by Advancedynamix)
        "Blanca"-92 GL auto, 125K(FM8 Lowest Miles)- B6 daughter's DD
        "Tractor Blue"- 89 L auto, 110K
        "Chester"-88 LX, runs but not street legal
        "Wenona"-89L parts car
        "Flame"- 89 LX 5 spd ,parts car

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
          Worse ?? lol
          HAHA. For the general population. I know where I can get one if you want it. It bummed me out to read the specs on it.
          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
            HAHA. For the general population. I know where I can get one if you want it. It bummed me out to read the specs on it.
            323 e I will put that on my list! I want a custom front suspension/crossmember first. I mean out with the VW front stuff and something conducive to even longer travel.
            Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

more evidence against the production of 2 or more variations of 4 speeds. i ran through a ford parts CD and 2 sets of microfiche. one of the sets was issued 12/1988 and a later set issued 11/1993. in all 3 sources there is only one 4th gear part# shown for both 4 & 5 spd trans for 88/89 festiva. there are some differences though between the 4 and 5 spd trans. the trans case, not the clutch housing, has different part#s. there is a spacer on the drive and driven gear clusters in the 4 spd. the main shift shafts have different part #s and the 3rd & 4th speed fork is different between the 2.

Comment

Good to know. Wonder if the final drive ratio is different.
                Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

looked thru the trans specs in an 88/89 shop manual and a 1990. both list identical ratios all gears and final @ 3.777. you probably know the aspire has identical ratios as the festiva but a higher final @ 4.06 to make up for bloat.

Comment

I just don't trust assembly lines to use only spec parts when others will fit. LOL when working for Ford sometimes the part was not even installed!!
                    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

ok so im sorry I can do alot to vehicles but not trannies so does that mean that a 4 speed and 5 speed should run 75 at the same RPM's or do i need to try to get a 5 speed to keep my MPG's up

Comment

5th gear is overdrive, so you should get better gas mileage with a 5 spd.
                        Jerry
                        Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
                        90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
                        92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
                        93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

oh ok i must have read it wrong then it almost sounded like they were saying that the 4 and 5 speeds were the same just the 4 is geared out longer

Comment

I'm thinking that 1-4 are the same or close on both transmissions. I've never opened one up so that's just a guess.
                            Jerry
                            Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
                            90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
                            92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
                            93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

gotcha so 1-4 are similar not the final

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
                                I just don't trust assembly lines to use only spec parts when others will fit. LOL when working for Ford sometimes the part was not even installed!!
                                hard to believe that the deletion or substitution of a spec'd part, especially in a trans wouldn't immediately be evident in drivability. don't forget, ford shop rats didn't put these together. it's mazda designed and assuming was assembled by kia with workers team-motivated to put out a quality product rather than motivated to file grievances through their union rep.

Comment

Working...
                                X