Trip of a Lifetime!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1990new View Post
    I took lots of photos of the interior of the Bluenose. Those fishermen were sure hard working guys.
    Yes I know the museum in Yarmouth... I spent about two hours in that museum...learned all about the evolution of the lights in lighthouses there and much more too. The Pleton-FUller (Founder of Fuller Brush Company) just down the street from the museum was interinting too.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]22264[/ATTACH]

So is the Festiva and camper back home safe and sound now?
    Ok! We werent allowed to go below when we were on it and it was packed with people walking on the deck, you could hardly move around. It was great to be on though!
    Nope! Were in PEI now, having a look around the island. What did you all see that you would recommed there? we have 2 days left or so before we start heading home. Plan to be home in 2 weeks

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
      Hi Ryan. That is such an adventure on so many levels, automotive, camping, etc. I've been to NS a few times camping with my dog. I took the back seat and the passenger seats out of the Festiva the day I bought it new in '89 because we used it for camping so much. After a few nights in the tent on our fist trip to Florida the dog decided he would sleep in the car from then on. We spent a lot of time in and around Yarmouth over 3 summers. On an earlier trip with a girlfriend I saw Lousiburg and went on a sail around Halifax harbour on the Bluenose II which was fun because I used to race sailboats. Your account reminds me of pulling over into the truck lane on the hills in the Maritimes and and Appalatians(?) crawling up the steep grades in third gear trying to keep the speed up to 40 mph. You must be driving an automatic. I can't imagine a clutch getting you very far with that rig. Nice read.

PS Nice job on the trailer.
      It is quite an adventure! There sure is a lot to see in Nova Scotia, i wish we had more time to spend there. But yes it is a manual transmission! I have a spare clutch in the trunk...
      A manual is nicer once you get going but hill starts and really steep and slow hills are a pain. Really hard on the clutch. If i could have a gear below first, another between 2 and 3, and another between 3 and 4 this would be perfect. But a B6 with an automatic would be the way to go for a festiva tow rig.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
        Ok! We werent allowed to go below when we were on it and it was packed with people walking on the deck, you could hardly move around. It was great to be on though!
        Nope! Were in PEI now, having a look around the island. What did you all see that you would recommed there? we have 2 days left or so before we start heading home. Plan to be home in 2 weeks

We rented a house for three days about 15 miles east of Charlottetown that was on a cliff overlooking the Northumberland Straight... was expensive but we split the cost.
        We drove from Wolfeville NS, back into New Brunswick and then crossed the 7 mile bridge, drove past Charlottetown and on out to Earnscliffe where the house was located. We arrived about 4, unloaded and drove back into Charlottetown for dinner, bought food for the next couple of days and were very tired and slept well that night. The rolling countryside and the red soil reminded me of upstate SC where I grew up. Beautiful farms all over there. The next day we drove up to the North coast area and saw the area where Lucy Maud Montgomery wrote "Anne of Green Gables" classic. The house where here uncle lived is still very much as it was when she visited her relatives there. We walked around the harbor area in Charlottetown and around the Government House. We took one of the tour buses around Charlottetown and learned a lot about the history of Charlottetown. We didn't go to the red beaches there but I'm sure your kids would love to see them. There is a lot more to see on PEI that we missed. We spent a lot of time on the screened porch of the house we rented..just enjoying the sights and sounds. After the third night we took the ferry from the eastern end of the island back across to Nova Scotia and continued our exploration down the coast. They don't charge a toll to get on the island over the bridge but they do to get off.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your adventure have a safe trip back home with your family.
        Last edited by 1990new; 09-02-2018, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1990new View Post
          We rented a house for three days about 15 miles east of Charlottetown that was on a cliff overlooking the Northumberland Straight... was expensive but we split the cost.
          We drove from Wolfeville NS, back into New Brunswick and then crossed the 7 mile bridge, drove past Charlottetown and on out to Earnscliffe where the house was located. We arrived about 4, unloaded and drove back into Charlottetown for dinner, bought food for the next couple of days and were very tired and slept well that night. The rolling countryside and the red soil reminded me of upstate SC where I grew up. Beautiful farms all over there. The next day we drove up to the North coast area and saw the area where Lucy Maud Montgomery wrote "Anne of Green Gables" classic. The house where here uncle lived is still very much as it was when she visited her relatives there. We walked around the harbor area in Charlottetown and around the Government House. We took one of the tour buses around Charlottetown and learned a lot about the history of Charlottetown. We didn't go to the red beaches there but I'm sure your kids would love to see them. There is a lot more to see on PEI that we missed. We spent a lot of time on the screened porch of the house we rented..just enjoying the sights and sounds. After the third night we took the ferry from the eastern end of the island back across to Nova Scotia and continued our exploration down the coast. They don't charge a toll to get on the island over the bridge but they do to get off.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your adventure have a safe trip back home with your family.
          Nice! Our kids are really enjoying the beaches, we have been to 3, going again today. Tomorrow we hope to do the grenich boardwalk and try an all you can eat lobster supper. Should be fun. Pei sure is different than nova scotia! Currently you dont pay to enter the island but you pay to leave. The ferry is more expensive to leave on than the bridge so we took the ferry in and will take the bridge out.

Comment

If you like classic cars check this out. This is the Next blog post of gold panning in alaska! We also went to see an incredible auto museum that day. There were so many beautiful old cars that i made a seperate blog post for it which is the one titled fountainhead auto museum after this one.
            On Tuesday, July 3 in Fairbanks, Alaska the boys went with me to shop in the morning, while Ryan worked on a new blog post. The boys wer...

The fountainhead auto museum had over 80 American made antique cars. The really neat thing is that all the cars there are historically significant, pre-World War II automobiles. All except 2 of its cars still run if i remember right and all except maybe 10 are restored to amazing shape. The collection includes
            a car with an 8 cycle motor, a car that you could grease every greasable component by moving one lever, “alternative” vehicles from way back like early steam, electric and hybrid cars, the first American Midget racers and the first V16-powered engine, air cooled motors with incredible heat sinks, a car that ran an extra cylinder off the exhaust of the first 2, a car with a friction drive transmission, a steam car that could do 130mph in 1906, car that had the first accelerator pedal as well as being the first front engine rear drive connected with a driveshaft car, a 1914 car whos engine set an endurance record by running at wide open throttle for 337hrs with no adjustments, a1917 pierce arrow inline 6cyl engine that had 13.5L displacement-the rest of the car matches the motors size, the first molybdenum steel car, the very first car ever built in Alaska, the first front wheel drive car and on and on...
            This is the direct link to it if you really dont want to read about us gold panning first
            The fountainhead auto museum had over 80 American made antique cars. The really neat thing is that all the cars there are  historically si...

Last edited by ryanprins13; 09-03-2018, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Next blog post: Independance day in Alaska, Seeing baby musk ox and reindeer at a wildlife preserve, a guy doing 70kmh down the sidewalk on a scooter and some guy advocating that Marshal Joe is the real president.
              American Independence day in Fairbanks We slept in because I was really sore and tired from all the gold panning. For breakfast we plu...

Comment

Next blog post of visiting North Pole Alaska in July. Seeing Santas house, a cool pipeline crossing of a river and the end of the Alaska highway.
                Thursday July 5 I didn't  sleep much last night, it rained all night and all morning so we slept in a bit. I got up and got groceries, ...

Comment

The next blog post was the Top of the world highway. A long and rough road connecting Alaska to Dawson City in the Yukon. The scenery was amazing, check out the 2 scenery videos in the blog post! 9hr drive between the last town in Alaska and the first town in the Yukon if i remember right.
                  https://prinsfamilyadventures.blogsp...-city.html?m=1
                  Screenshot_20190724-153938_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20190724-153941_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20190724-153954_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20190724-154000_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20190724-154007_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20190724-154010_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20190724-154025_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20190724-154033_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20190724-154039_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20190724-154113_Gallery.jpg
                  Last edited by ryanprins13; 07-24-2019, 04:53 PM.

Comment

It has been a long time, but here is our next blog post from our trip last summer! This was the day Julie placed 11th in a gold panning competition in Dawson city and we got to see a gold bar being poured. It was also the last day that Joshua was without a scar on his forehead...
                    https://prinsfamilyadventures.blogsp...nning.html?m=1

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                    X