No announcement yet.

I just sent for a front wheel bearing "Spacer Selection Tool"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought the Rotunda tool many years back, very handy.
    Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
    Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
    "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Charlie "I inspect the bores for out of round and I.D."

What are the tolerances for out of round? I have a decent dial indicator I use for cylinder bores.

Also, Dat Weld Doe. Jeebus, man, what you do for simple bearing removal is prettier than I can pull off trying to be neat and stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by scitzz View Post
        Paul, do you have the Rotunda number? I have seen several different ones on Ebay that seem to be right, but have different numbers and amount of gizmos.
        "Blue92"- 92L 5 spd, original owner- 185K, B8,DD..
        "Pedro"-88L 5-spd, B6D (built by Advancedynamix)
        "Blanca"-92 GL auto, 125K(FM8 Lowest Miles)- B6 daughter's DD
        "Tractor Blue"- 89 L auto, 110K
        "Chester"-88 LX, runs but not street legal
        "Wenona"-89L parts car
        "Flame"- 89 LX 5 spd ,parts car

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
          I torque my tool to the specified axle TQ and hold the knuckle in a vice and use an in.lb tq wrench to check the drag on the bearings.
          Charlie, could you post of photo of the tool you made please

Originally posted by scitzz View Post
          Could you post of photo of the Rotunda tool as well.

I have the Rotunda tool for rebuilding the Festiva front knuckle... I'm wondering if part of that tool could be adapted or modified to accomplish the same end result.

Thanks

Ian
          Ian
          Calgary AB, Canada
          93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
          59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

This is all perfect info for me as I am about to rebuild(within the next few months) the aspire front knuckles I have. I too would like the rotunda part #. If not, I may be able to make one like charlie did. ( If it doesn't require expensive machinery to make that is.)

Comment

Sent from my C6730 using Tapatalk

Comment

Sent from my C6730 using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks. That's the exact set I have.
                  Ian
                  Calgary AB, Canada

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Comment

Also, Dat Weld Doe. Jeebus, man, what you do for simple bearing removal is prettier than I can pull off trying to be neat and stuff.
                    [/QUOTE]
                    ^ beautiful ... I hate that some the most perfect welds I have ever done , are in places that no one will ever see .
                    New build on the way .

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                      If my first assembly netted a 15 or more in.lb drag, I remove the bearing races and toss the bearings in the scrap bin and install a new set with a thicker spacer. Over 15 in.lbs of drag can flat spot the bearings or dimple the races. 30 dollars now gives me piece of mind at 150+ mph in an econobox that "should never go that fast".
                      Could you incrementally step up to axle torque while checking turning torque in between torque steps to prevent this?

Are you making your own spacers from scratch or are you just grinding down factory ones? The process is pretty simple and I can probably make a tool out of stuff in the tool room at work. I just don't have any extra spacers laying around or a good way to precisely shave them down other than maybe a belt sander.
                      Better Than Nothing Racing

Way too many cars

:woc:

Comment

Looks like I started a bonfire!

I think that one way to get around the tool (T87C-1104-B is both a Rotunda and a Bosch part & number) would be to either cut the end off an old drive axle and use that, or use very thick washers that are the right diameter to fit on the center of the inner bearing and outer without binding against the outer (larger) bearing race. Knowing what I do now - I could use a half inch drive socket that fit. My "BUG" right now is that the tool came with a bolt that will not fit all the way through the wheel bearings and hub.

I'm guessing that the size and thread of the bolt should be very close to if not exactly the same as the nut and bolt on the end of the drive axle, and I am saying that because the axle nut torque is stated as 116-174 lbs/ft for both Festiva AND Capri (NOTE: THE SAME TOOL is used for both, I have verified it)

The torque given in the preload test procedure when using that tool is 145 Lbs/Ft, which is in the middle of that range.

So what I think is called for is a correct size and thread nut and bolt, a socket that fits in the center of the inner bearing, a matching nut, and a socket that fits the middle of the outer bearing.

It would be way better to use some VERY thick (think 1/8 to 1/4 inch, stacked if they are less than 1/4 inch) washers in place of a pair of sockets

THE PURPOSE of the tool is to compress the inner bearings center against the preload spacer, and the outer bearing inner race.

*The OUTER RACES of both bearings ride in the steering knuckle

The whole question is how the two bearings fit in the knuckle casting with the spacer they have. The bolt and the two tool halves (or whatever other spacers you can come up with) serve only to line up the bearings and spacer, and apply clamping pressure to the centers of the bearings only, not the edges

Looking at the breakdown in the book - I see a hub seal that should be replaced anyway and that also could cause drag and throw off the measurements, so pull off the hub(s) first.

DOUBLE CHECK me on this - I don't want to put out bad information

I have no idea what I am going to use to separate rotor/hub assemblies from the bearings and knuckles just yet, but at least I understand it all finally
                        Last edited by Greywolf; 12-10-2016, 09:10 AM.
                        Most people don't drive what they want at all, and never will

Comment

Something else you might need - here's a list of the spacers. There is a number stamped into them from 1 to whatever, this chart is the same in both the Festiva and Capri books I have that are straight from FOMOCO:

According to the book- changing the spacers by one step/size up or down changes the preload by 1.7 to 3.6 Lb/Inches

The one last part of the puzzle I can not find, is where to get more spacers from a parts house.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Greywolf; 12-10-2016, 10:01 AM.
                          Most people don't drive what they want at all, and never will

Comment

You are providing valid and correct information as far as I can tell. The shims seem to adjust the gap in a around .001" increments. I've found that .001" can alter the drag by as much as 5 inch lbs on my TQ wrench, but I also tighten my setup to 170ft.lbs. because that's what I tighten my axles to.
                            Last edited by Advancedynamix; 12-10-2016, 12:25 PM.
                            Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

I've just ordered a selection of all the spacers from Fourgreen.com. Since our adventures with bearings back in August (check out our blog if you want the whole story) I've decided not to take any further chances when rebuilding the front hubs. It turns out I do have the shim selection tool.
                              Ian
                              Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

Maybe the Festiva Store could order some from FourGreen as well and stock them for when people need to change theirs. Could also get one of the selection tools to rent out to members. (if he was so inclined)

Comment

Working...
                                X