Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How necessary are upgraded brakes for DD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by justinhw View Post
    im' gonna stick with the stocker brakes with the 12" rims. for a set of winter tires i can use 13" rims from a metro or something right, 4x4.5? does 175/70/13 fit without rubbing on stock suspension?
    Depends what offset but i bought a set of those in winter tires and went back to 12's after a month of winter. They fit and didnt rub but had no power and zero traction with them. Their too wide for snow and ice. Dont remember what my rims were from though.
    My chains were a bit big and they would fall off less often with the 13's though. This photo was one night i came home late from work at like 10pm and it was all blizzarding. I could drive fast enough on the gravel roads to float over the drifts but had to chain up for the long driveway. Made it to within 50ft of where i needed to park and i was plowing enough snow to block my headlights, wasnt sure if i was still on the road and i slowed down and then a chain fell off. Probably a good thing because i was nearly in the ditch. This photo was the next morning after we had plowed around the car and most of what i pushed blew away.

When i saw that ^ I was searching for a photo i have of being stuck in literally just 4 or 5 inches of snow with the 13's but its not on my phone. That was when i finally got mad enough to put the 12's back on even though i had a ton of money into sand blasting and painting the rims and those winter tires.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ryanprins13; 03-30-2017, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Yeah, for winter you want as thin as you can get...
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
        Yeah, for winter you want as thin as you can get...
        Steel tread showing doesn't hurt in the snow either
        Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
        Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
        "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Guess you don't need a lot of brakes for that scenario!
          No car too fast !

Comment

Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
            Depends what offset but i bought a set of those in winter tires and went back to 12's after a month of winter. They fit and didnt rub but had no power and zero traction with them. Their too wide for snow and ice. Dont remember what my rims were from though.
            My chains were a bit big and they would fall off less often with the 13's though. This photo was one night i came home late from work at like 10pm and it was all blizzarding. I could drive fast enough on the gravel roads to float over the drifts but had to chain up for the long driveway. Made it to within 50ft of where i needed to park and i was plowing enough snow to block my headlights, wasnt sure if i was still on the road and i slowed down and then a chain fell off. Probably a good thing because i was nearly in the ditch. This photo was the next morning after we had plowed around the car and most of what i pushed blew away.

When i saw that ^ I was searching for a photo i have of being stuck in literally just 4 or 5 inches of snow with the 13's but its not on my phone. That was when i finally got mad enough to put the 12's back on even though i had a ton of money into sand blasting and painting the rims and those winter tires.

Wow! Trouble for me is that I like nokian winter tires but the smallest I can find they make is 175/70r13

Comment

Originally posted by justinhw View Post
              Wow! Trouble for me is that I like nokian winter tires but the smallest I can find they make is 175/70r13
              Nokian tires are amazing, i plowed this for 70ft with no chains starting at only 15mph. That car was nearly unstopable with nokians, but if you dont have enough weight on them it doesnt matter. Cheap 145's will perform better than those 175 nokians in the snow.
              Even the same brand of tire 155 to 145 theres a noticable difference in how much the back end slides around.

Comment

Working...
              X