X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow is your butt scuttled!

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker View Post
      You should get 45 mpg with a properly tuned engine at 55 mph.
      When I was doing MPG tests with my stock (at the time) Festiva, I got 58.0 MPG @ a steady 55 MPH. It was a 5-speed 1.3L EFI with 155/80-13 tires on Metro rims, which gives 4.4% higher overall gearing compared to a 155/80-12. So with the slightly higher cruising RPM of the 12" tires, it would presumably have still gotten about 55.5 MPG.

No hypermiling tricks or super high tire pressure, etc, just a steady speed, and making sure brakes weren't dragging. I drove a big loop around the city, and made sure to test on windless (or almost) days.
      45 MPH got me 62.5 MPG. So 55 MPH is a nice sweet spot.
      60 MPH got me 52.5 MPG; still nothing to sneeze at.

When I bought Matt Dickmeyer's Festiva, which had a 1.3L EFI 5-speed, with the head heavily worked on, I still got 48.0 MPG at a steady 60 MPH, over a 250-mile hwy drive. Same tire size as the other car. This 1.3 had more power than a stock B6 1.6L SOHC motor.
      Last edited by TominMO; 11-21-2017, 11:19 AM.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by harpon View Post
        Wow is your butt scuttled!
        Had to look that up. If i understand right the answer is no festivas are comefy. I can do 14hrs only stopping for gas. In my wifes 2002 civic i last 2hrs and i have to get out...

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by vampire smoochie View Post
          I'm thinking seriously about a cross country trip, Oregon to Florida Keys and back. May not be the most comfortable for that long a journey, but it looks like it wouldn't have any trouble along the way.
          Before a cross-country trip, do whatever preventive maintenance is needed to head off any potential problems. Since you will be spending a lot of time in between major cities, the likelihood something will go wrong at a bad time/place is greatly increased. Unless you know it has been done recently or can tell it is good by a visual inspection, assume it needs doing. You're talking about at least 8000 miles here.

Tires, steering, brakes, suspension, tune-up parts, timing belt/water pump, fuel pump, hoses and belts. Including the little curved hose on the bypass pipe. Might as well install a good 192-degree "open when failed" thermostat too.

Ask him specifically if he knows when/if the water pump and timing belt have been done, since that's a bigger job.

Also strongly recommend the Aspire front seat swap, at least the driver seat. Easy to do and definitely more comfortable.

Also, put out a request for contacts of people who can help you out along the way. I'm In St Louis, have a garage with plenty of tools, and a pretty fair amount of spare parts.

That car looks really good; offer him maybe $1800, but buy it at whatever price he sticks at. If he likes you he might come down some just for that reason, so tell him your trip plans. Based on its condition, I think he will want to know it's going to a good home.
          Last edited by TominMO; 11-21-2017, 04:28 PM.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I got it. $1800. It was just what you said, TominMO, he came down but he knew it was going to a good home.

It's pretty much as advertised. Paint's good, body's really good, zero rust at the usual spots, zero rattles on the freeway. Runs like a top. Brakes feel really good. Clutch is nice and tight, but I'll probably adjust the pedal so it engages sooner.

The only major negative I could find is it needs new shocks/struts. Also no passenger's side view mirror. I kinda remember those were an option in the "old" days.

I'm really encouraged by what you all have said about taking these things across country. Not sure I'd want to pack the whole family into one ( ;^D ), but for me and my little mutt, it'll work great.

I'm really stoked about this car. I think I got an OK deal. There's enough stuff for me to tinker with to keep things interesting. And there's obviously a huge amount of info on this forum, so if I can't figure it out (a likely scenario), I can find the answer here.

I'll post some pics when I get it home and it isn't raining like $%#!...

Thanks again,
            VS
            Red '93 L -- Box stock. For Now
            Red '99 Miata -- More or less stock.
            RIP -- Black '01 Miata. $15,000 in mods, ending with a turbo producing 220 WHP. Stolen and totaled in Feb. 2017. :tearyeyed:

The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well. -- Alfred Adler

Comment

Hey Vamp,
              welcome to the site and I'm in Portland, where are you? Great score on the car, congrats!

Mark
              92 GL, 98k
              77 Chevy shortbed

Comment

I got it. $1800. It was just what you said, TominMO, he came down but he knew it was going to a good home.

It's pretty much as advertised. Paint's good, body's really good, zero rust at the usual spots, zero rattles on the freeway. Runs like a top. Brakes feel really good. Clutch is nice and tight, but I'll probably adjust the pedal so it engages sooner.

The only major negative I could find is it needs new shocks/struts. Also no passenger's side view mirror. I kinda remember those were an option in the "old" days.

I'm really encouraged by what you all have said about taking these things across country. Not sure I'd want to pack the whole family into one ( ;^D ), but for me and my little mutt, it'll work great.

I'm really stoked about this car. I think I got an OK deal. There's enough stuff for me to tinker with to keep things interesting. And there's obviously a huge amount of info on this forum, so if I can't figure it out (a likely scenario), I can find the answer here.

I'll post some pics when I get it home and it isn't raining like $%#!...

Thanks again,
                VS
                Sweet deal! Im too pessimistic... sounds like you got an amazing car.
                You can buy a mirror from a member here cheap enough im sure.
                New struts are cheap. Stock replacement is $130 for all 4, probably $160 with tax and shipping. Link here: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ion,strut,7584
                That site is pretty good for parts.
                On the other hand you can spend just as much as you would on suspension for a newer car and have the best handling sports car around that kit runs around $700 if your interested.

The whole family does fit if you ever chamge your mind! Lol. Earlier this year we drove 10hrs for a festiva meet and 'met' for about another 8 or so. Was a long day but the kids had a good time. Check out post #5 in this thread about that meet for photos of our family in the car. And to see all the other cool festivas that made it to that meet https://fordfestiva.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60889

I think you got a good deal as well and these cars are pretty great to work on.

We are all waiting for photos

Last edited by ryanprins13; 11-23-2017, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Nice buy!
                  '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
                  '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
                  '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

Originally posted by avitsefdrof View Post
                    Hey Vamp,
                    welcome to the site and I'm in Portland, where are you? Great score on the car, congrats!

Mark
                    Hey, Mark!
                    Glad to know there's another Festiva enthusiast in Portlandia. I'm sure there are more...haha. I live in NE PDX around 82nd and Glisan. I'm jealous, dude. A '93 GL with 93k? Sounds awesome. How about a straight across trade? How much did you pay? If it's below $1800, I don't want to hear about it. Any Festiva clubs around?
                    RIP -- Black '01 Miata. $15,000 in mods, ending with a turbo producing 220 WHP. Stolen and totaled in Feb. 2017. :tearyeyed:

Comment

Got the car home. It was in Kelso, WA., about an hour away, so it got a bit of a shakedown cruise. I've got some more questions, but I'll look up the answers if they're in the forum. Otherwise, I'll post in the appropriate section.

Again, many thanks for the feedback and info.

The ol' Vamp (aka John)

Comment

Lastly, in case you're interested, here are some pics of the Festiva and my other one, at home in my parking space. Alas, no garage for the Festy....They don't show anything new really, except for the passenger side (just for the skeptics... ahahah).

IMG_20171125_135218221.jpgIMG_20171125_135044560.jpgIMG_20171125_134944457.jpgIMG_20171125_134841140.jpg

Comment

Wow that's a really nice car, i'm jealous of your paint haha.
                          The advanced suspension mod is highly recommended, adjustable ride height is super nice in addition to the crazy good handling.
                          Dark blue '91 B6t + E series
                          Something new breaks every day

Comment

portlandia

Hey, Mark!
                            Glad to know there's another Festiva enthusiast in Portlandia. I'm sure there are more...haha. I live in NE PDX around 82nd and Glisan. I'm jealous, dude. A '93 GL with 93k? Sounds awesome. How about a straight across trade? How much did you pay? If it's below $1800, I don't want to hear about it. Any Festiva clubs around?
                            Wow...I go to church right there in your hood.....we'll have to connect. Way to go on the purchase, looks like a cool little cruiser. Maybe see you next sunday.....have a good one. check your pms.
                            Mark
                            92 GL, 98k
                            77 Chevy shortbed

Comment

Lastly, in case you're interested, here are some pics of the Festiva and my other one, at home in my parking space. Alas, no garage for the Festy....They don't show anything new really, except for the passenger side (just for the skeptics... ahahah).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21670[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]21671[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]21672[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]21673[/ATTACH]
                              Looks great! Even the passenger side! (Except for the auto belts...) sorry for being skeptical earlier. Last time i bought a car for my wife i drove quite a ways 2 seperate times to see cars that were on the high side of their general price range. Get there and the one side of the car was basically destroyed. 2 times in a row. Made me kinda mad, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
                                Looks great! Even the passenger side! (Except for the auto belts...) sorry for being skeptical earlier. Last time i bought a car for my wife i drove quite a ways 2 seperate times to see cars that were on the high side of their general price range. Get there and the one side of the car was basically destroyed. 2 times in a row. Made me kinda mad, lol.

How can you not mention something like that in an ad? Everybody who comes to take a look at it is going to be pissed off and you're going to have to deal with it. Be honest, price it fairly and things go a lot easier. Some people, man.....

Hah. I'm not skeptical ENOUGH. I really need to learn to sleep on it before making a buying decision when it comes to used cars. Made LOTS of mistakes that way. I saw this guy on CL and waited 2 or 3 days to see if the "Festy Fever" would die down. It didn't, so I contacted the guy.

Comment

Working...
                                X