$2K for a 1993 too much to pay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eviljimchicken View Post
    Wow that's a really nice car, i'm jealous of your paint haha.
    The advanced suspension mod is highly recommended, adjustable ride height is super nice in addition to the crazy good handling.
    Thanks, Evil Jim...

The advanced suspension mod looks great, but I'm not advanced enough myself to undertake the modifications needed to do the job. :-|

I know guys that are great with Miatas, so I'm going to pass it by them and see what they think. Then figure out if I can afford it.
    Red '93 L -- Box stock. For Now
    Red '99 Miata -- More or less stock.
    RIP -- Black '01 Miata. $15,000 in mods, ending with a turbo producing 220 WHP. Stolen and totaled in Feb. 2017. :tearyeyed:

The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well. -- Alfred Adler

Comment

Originally posted by vampire smoochie View Post
      Thanks, Evil Jim...

The advanced suspension mod looks great, but I'm not advanced enough myself to undertake the modifications needed to do the job. :-|

I know guys that are great with Miatas, so I'm going to pass it by them and see what they think. Then figure out if I can afford it.
      I can almost assure you that you can do the rears on your own. Enlarging the mounting holes on the front shocks perfectly is the tricky part.
      I'm sure someone here has a set of pre-drilled fronts you may be able to buy.
      Dark blue '91 B6t + E series
      Something new breaks every day

Comment

VWKYB3.jpg
        VWKYB1.jpg
        VWKYB2.jpg

Agreed, the rears are easy. I was initially hesitant to do it just because I had never done coilovers before. There are many ways to do the top hat. I used various pieces from the old Festiva strut (so it would flex a bit), and stuff I had laying around. Works fine.
        Last edited by TominMO; 11-28-2017, 08:40 AM.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

(Ran out of time) Not shown is one more of the Festiva donuts, which sits on top of the strut tower inside the car. That top donut washer in pic 3 actually is flipped over and used on top of the donut that sits on top of the strut tower. I just used it in the pic to show everything assembled. Once I installed the coilover and compressed it upwards with a scissors jack on the bottom of the rear beam, I could install the top donut, washer and nut.

Make sure the bottom rubber donut has a little ridge around the hole, which prevents the donut from moving side to side and hitting the strut tower at the hole; a common source of rattling. The ridge fits inside the tower hole.

My current (imperfect) solution for the front is KYB 2001-02 Rio front struts and top hat, along with a Festiva front spring cut one coil. Still slightly high in the front compared to the rear. Really, I should have front coilovers too.

The black rubber piece on the bottom of the strut shaft came with the VW strut; the others are just stuff I had lying around. I had to trim the middle brownish one a little, to fit it into the spring.

Here's how the car currently sits:

Side shot.jpg
          Last edited by TominMO; 11-28-2017, 09:15 AM.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Final note: the washer in pic 3 that is between the black donut and the piece on top of the spring is actually one of the curved Festiva washers for the donuts. I beat it flat with a hammer to get it to the right shape. I used it since it had the right size hole for the strut shaft.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

I had festiver lathe me a set of rear top hats out of aluminum. I would contact him and see how much he would charge.
              Dark blue '91 B6t + E series
              Something new breaks every day

Comment

I had festiver lathe me a set of rear top hats out of aluminum. I would contact him and see how much he would charge.
                I should do that too, just on general principles.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                  I should do that too, just on general principles.
                  Hopefully in a month or 2 i will start selling a bushing/interface for between the spring and body for the advanced setup if anyone wants to wait... hate to not give out more info but im waiting till i get some more feedback from the ones i mailed out for testing. I plan to post some info about it to feel out interest in 2 weeks or so.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by vampire smoochie View Post
                    Thanks, Evil Jim...

It is quite easy to do yourself actually. The alignment is probably the hardest part for most people. Anyone good with working on cars can do it, its just how much they want you to pay them. Its quite possible to do yourself and then take it to a shop that caters to performance vehicles and get your alignment there. Just be prepared to pay maybe double a standard alignment rate.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks to you ALL for your help with this. It does seem a bit less scary now. I did a suspension on my first Miata: Flyin' Miata Stage I with their springs and Koni shocks. Turned out OK, actually. Of course everything popped right in.

I'll hit the buy/sell section with a request for pre-drilled front struts and show your instructions for the rears to my wrenching buddy and see what he says.

Oh boy oh boy oh boy!!!

BTW, speaking of advance suspension mods, check this out....

We all have fantastic dreams of sweet drifts, jumps and donuts after watching one of Ken Block’s Gymkhana videos, but you don’t need a big budget to hoon it up. This little 60-horsepower non-RS Fiesta shows us how it’s done in hilarious, delightful detail.
                      RIP -- Black '01 Miata. $15,000 in mods, ending with a turbo producing 220 WHP. Stolen and totaled in Feb. 2017. :tearyeyed:

Comment

How about this one?

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                          How about this one?
                          That is HILARIOUS!!! I want one of those, but I'm too old and fat to fit in one.

BTW, sorry for the slow reply. I just now figured out how to get an email ping with new posts. D'oh!

Comment

Working...
                          X