Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $2K for a 1993 too much to pay?

Hi Everybody,

First time poster of course, since I haven't bought the car yet. Here's a link to the Craigslist ad...

It sounds like a sweet car: low miles, only two owners (first one always garaged it, which is why the red paint is still actually shiny)...

Assuming the ad is honest, is the price too high? KBB says anywhere from $1200 to $1800 for excellent condition. Edmunds says $1500.

I'm soooo tempted. This one looks like a turnkey to me. I've had a soft spot for these cars since forever. Simple, durable, fun to drive...I think of them as an American (manufactured in South Korea, of course) Mini Cooper. Maybe it's the 12 inch wheels....

Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

BTW, good forum you have here.
    Red '93 L -- Box stock. For Now
    Red '99 Miata -- More or less stock.
    RIP -- Black '01 Miata. $15,000 in mods, ending with a turbo producing 220 WHP. Stolen and totaled in Feb. 2017. :tearyeyed:

The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well. -- Alfred Adler

Welcome! The car looks great. I’d offer less (1500 or so) and see what response you get. 110k miles is getting hard to find. It does look clean.
    Jerry
    Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
    90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
    92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
    93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Interesting. Hard to say from the photos if its worth that. The pessamistic side of me wants to say that the passenger side is all dented up.
      I paid $1500cad for a festiva with 110k miles, minor rock chips, lots of small to medium dents but almost no rust. Have a look for rust when you see it. $2000usd is on the higher side for a stock festiva but one in completely perfect shape could sell for probably $4000 to the right buyer.
      here is a youtube video that shows you a few things to check for when buying a festiva.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Welcome to the forum!
        Like lightning said, offer them less. Is the car worth 2K?? Not on paper, but it might be to you. I gave 2K for my '91 with 93K on it and would again, it's saved me a ton of money.

Comment

I'd pay $2K for sure, that thing is minty.

Comment

It's certainly NOT overpriced. Don't forget you will probably lose 2 x $2,000 on any new car you drive off the lot. If I was to look at it I wouldn't offer less without cash in fist. From a seller's standpoint there is nothing worse than dropping the price $500 only to find the buyer needs to borrow the money from his mother, etc. If you are wanting to buy a nice Festiva I don't think you could do much better, you could certainly do worse. Another way of looking at it is if you think it is too much, don't look at it. When I sell a car and a prospective buyer tells me it's too much that usually ends the presentation. As for the Blue Book, throw it in the garbage. When I bought my '88 in 2004 or 5 the Blue Book showed wholesale value @ zero. Just my 2 cents worth.
            Last edited by Rick the Quick; 11-20-2017, 11:40 AM.
            '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
            '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
            '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

Looks like a really clean car! I'd offer $1500, if they take that then spend the money you saved on the "Advanced Suspension Mods" setup.

For reference, I just paid $1400 for this one, an '89 L with a four speed and A/C, and 150k miles. From pictures the one you're looking at is a bit nicer.

'88 L- B6d-Sidedraft Dellorto Carbs-G-Series-Advanced Suspension
              '89 L B3-5 speed-A/C-Advanced Suspension

Project Goldilocks '66 C10 Short Fleet BBW Build
              '65 C10 Highly Detailed Stock Restoration Thread
              '55 International Metal/Body/Paint Work
              '66 F100 Full Rotisserie Restoration
              '40 Packard 120 Convertible Coupe Restoration
              How To Restore and Detail an Original Gauge Cluster
              How To Detail Sand Body Panels, Edges, Corners

Comment

61 Impala bubble top! Is that beauty yours?
                '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
                '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
                '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick the Quick View Post
                  61 Impala bubble top! Is that beauty yours?
                  No, it's in the shop for all new glass and interior. I can only afford Festivas... :lol:
                  '88 L- B6d-Sidedraft Dellorto Carbs-G-Series-Advanced Suspension
                  '89 L B3-5 speed-A/C-Advanced Suspension

Project Goldilocks '66 C10 Short Fleet BBW Build
                  '65 C10 Highly Detailed Stock Restoration Thread
                  '55 International Metal/Body/Paint Work
                  '66 F100 Full Rotisserie Restoration
                  '40 Packard 120 Convertible Coupe Restoration
                  How To Restore and Detail an Original Gauge Cluster
                  How To Detail Sand Body Panels, Edges, Corners

Comment

Your restoration skills and automotive tastes belie your age!

Comment

Hi Everybody,
                      Thanks SO much for the feedback. I'll offer less for the car, but probably not $1500. I don't want to insult him and I'm terrible at haggling. After my Miata, my number two car is a 91 Accord with over 300K. Purrs like a kitten, but, you know, 300,000 miles.

I'm thinking seriously about a cross country trip, Oregon to Florida Keys and back. May not be the most comfortable for that long a journey, but it looks like it wouldn't have any trouble along the way. Also, I can pack more in it than the Miata.

I'm going to search the forum for the "Advanced Suspension" mods. I saw something about that in here somewhere.

Assuming it's not sold, I'm going to check it out Wednesday and will file an update.

One last thing: I keep hearing about 40-50 mpg in these things. Is that your experience, or is someone blowing smoke?

Again, thanks.
                      Red '93 L -- Box stock. For Now
                      Red '99 Miata -- More or less stock.
                      RIP -- Black '01 Miata. $15,000 in mods, ending with a turbo producing 220 WHP. Stolen and totaled in Feb. 2017. :tearyeyed:

The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well. -- Alfred Adler

Comment

You should get 45 mpg with a properly tuned engine at 55 mph.

Comment

I have seen 44 -45 mpg with my '88 5 speed with carb. That's at a steady 65 mph on 2 lane state highways. BTW that is at 5,000 feet elevation. At sea level that will be better. They say the fuel injected will beat that. I don't know for sure. My fuel injected cars either had worn engines or broken speedometers making mileage impossible to check. $1,500 is not an insult as long as you present it in a nice way and have cash in fist. Right way to present your offer : It's a nice car, but it will need............ fill in the blanks, tires, windshield or........... would you take $1,500 cash? or it's a beauty but it's a little more then I can afford. Would you take $1,500 cash right now?. Wrong way to present your offer : I'll give you $1,500 'cause that's all it's worth. If I was the seller the presentation just ended. If you want it I would go look at it today because come Wednesday it may be gone. Festivas are a very good way to transverse the country. Good luck!

Comment

i'd snap it for 2K. a little while back a member paid 6K for a 1000 mile 93 GL! only drawback is this being an L with no options but that can be part of the fun. adding those missing extras is pretty easy and cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by vampire smoochie View Post
                              Hi Everybody,
                              Thanks SO much for the feedback. I'll offer less for the car, but probably not $1500. I don't want to insult him and I'm terrible at haggling. After my Miata, my number two car is a 91 Accord with over 300K. Purrs like a kitten, but, you know, 300,000 miles.

I'm thinking seriously about a cross country trip, Oregon to Florida Keys and back. May not be the most comfortable for that long a journey, but it looks like it wouldn't have any trouble along the way. Also, I can pack more in it than the Miata.

I'm going to search the forum for the "Advanced Suspension" mods. I saw something about that in here somewhere.

Assuming it's not sold, I'm going to check it out Wednesday and will file an update.

One last thing: I keep hearing about 40-50 mpg in these things. Is that your experience, or is someone blowing smoke?

Again, thanks.
                              Im never comfortable offering less either wish i was.
                              Festivas are amazing for long trips! Many of us do long journeys in them quite comefortably. Out of any car my wife and i, my parents or her parents have ever owned i woukd take a festiva on a cross country trip.
                              Can you see the photos in this thread or no? https://fordfestiva.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60058
                              Im planning to do a 20k mile cross-canada trip in mine with my wife and 2 kids next summer. Ian on the forum here drove from alberta canada to north carolina for a festiva meet with his wife and 3 kids! They really are great for road trips.
                              My wife and i did a road trip honeymoon in my festiva. It was pretty great.
                              Milage- best i ever got was 22.2 km/L, average is 19.5
                              Ill find you the link to the thread you want a sec in case you havent found it yet.
                              *edit* here: https://fordfestiva.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57936
                              Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by ryanprins13; 11-21-2017, 12:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X