No announcement yet.

whats your miles per gallon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't seem to do much better than between 30 - 31 MPG.

Waiting for warmer weather to do plug wires, cap and rotor. Did the plugs, with no improvement noted.
    1993 Festiva GL, 67,783miles, 1.3L, FI, Auto, A/C, Radio

1990 Festiva L, 193,067miles, 1.3L, FI, 5 Speed, No A/C, No Radio

1999 ZX2, 180,436miles, Zetec, 5 Speed

1999 F-350, Duallie, Diesel

Comment

Originally posted by RexaFORD
      I can't seem to do much better than between 30 - 31 MPG.

Waiting for warmer weather to do plug wires, cap and rotor. Did the plugs, with no improvement noted.

That's about what I get. City mileage is even worse.

Probably time for a tune up!

Regards,

Tim
      White '89L auto - Sold!
      Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Wooohoo!! I got a whooping 37mpg in my Aspire this weekend, I think even better on the way home. Ii didn't need to be filled up and had 162 miles at a half tank.. pretty good compared to the 34mpg I was getting before. Although I only managed to get 30mpg driving around Branson, MO. Those hills are a killer. I used 4oz of MMO during each fillup during this trip. It idles and runs alot smoother. I still have a half a bottle so i'll have to wait about a month to see if it's the mmo or just a one-time deal. I think the best mileage i've got on my festiva was around 43mpg. My dad regularly gets 45mpg, but he drives a steady 65mph for 30 miles. I'm going to drop some mmo in the festiva and see if it helps as well.
        91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Would MMO actually be Acetone once you take all the marketing labels away?
          Tell it like it is...not how it should be

Comment

Nope it's a cleaner, and possibly a top-end lube. I don't think it has any acetone in it.
            91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Ah but you see acetone is a cleaner and supposedly improves fuel economy too

But it only costs a few cents....

Read all about it here http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directo..._Fuel_Additive

Comment

Just did a quick search and it seems that MMO is possibly just 2-cycle/stroke oil.

Comment

MMO does not contain acetone:

Also, keep in mine acetone likes to eat rubber. Therefore, it belongs in places other then in my gas tank.

Personally, I use FP60 by www.lubecontrol.com

It's not an aromatic solvent. And it's not alcohol either. The flash point on it is about 400F if I recall correctly. Plus, for the price of three bottles of techron I get enough FP60 to treat over 600 gallons of gas.
                  www.dantheoilman.com
                  AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
                  Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
                  Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

i think some of you guys are full of shit on this forum. talking about getting 45 and 50 mpg. you all must have some optimal running festivas because i have never seen any kind of mileage out of my three stivas. as far as the aspire i don't know anything about them. sure if you drive all day long at 35 mph and shift ever so slightly. how about real world driving where you actually have to give the thing throttle every now and then. i have three of these cars and they all get about 33 in town and 35 on the interstate. i have run all kind of crazy tests from running the car completely out of fuel, putting one gallon of fuel in it and running it out again. to doing the same thing on the interstate at different rates of speed. also ran them through full tanks of gas doing the same procedures. some of these claims just do not add up my four speed gets way worse on the interstate than it does in town. who wants to drive there car 55mph? not me and certainly not sammy--jeremie

Comment

What he said.

I'm on my second tank of gas in my B6 '93GL ATX, "Luxstiva."

First tank I got 25.5 mpg. Explanation: heavy foot!

I tried to go easier the next tank and had a bit of success:

27.5 mpg.

I figure if I were really really good (FAT CHANCE!), I could get maybe 29 or 30 mpg average.

The above is about an even mix of "city" and "highway."

Best Lux got with the old B3 was 40 mpg highway (the trip to the last Ohiostiva). Avg. mpg was around 31 to 33, IIRC. Not bad for an ATX I suppose.

If someone is easy on the gas and has mostly highway miles, I can believe their averages might go up around 45 mpg with an MTX in a well tuned FI car. (Removing the rear seat, higher tyre pressures, and only one person in the car would help.)

Karl
                      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Actually my b6 can get 40mpg hwy if I don't stomp on it.
                        My B3 averaged about 42mpg hwy even with my heavy foot.

50mpg hwy from a well taken care of stock Festiva that never gets driven over 55, isn't a fluke. Lot's of old folks drive Festivas and continue to have them serviced every year at the dealer where they bought them brand new. All parts are replaced with OEM parts, not the cheap Chinese autozone crap, so they act like they're brand new. These kind of drivers tend to have less than 100k on their Festivas even after 15 years. I saw a 91 recently that only had 39k on it. The oil was sooo clean. The whole car including the engine bay was pristine. Sure enough it was a 1 owner Festiva driven by an old lady that died and her son was selling it.. If I'd had 2k I would have bought it in a second. They said it got 46mpg and I believe them. Taking the car/engine factor from the equasion, it usually depends on how you drive, what rpm you usually shift at etc..

Comment

i started a thread about my trip trips to michigan not too long ago and got 42.something taking it easy on the trip. now with a heavily rusted tank, eating up fuel filters, and bad injectors im still getting about 35 to the gallon. with my (hopefully soon to be) parts car i can replace a few things to get mine back in to the 40s...even with 260 miles. im also good about changing my oil when it is due and not procrastinating about routine maintnence. no im not full of crap
                          90 L FI..second B3
                          90 L Parts car
                          Jay

Comment

I'd be over the moon getting 30 (US) miles per gallon

26 (US) miles per gallon for 8 years now.... :cry:

Comment

i only drive about 5 miles to work, so i don't do that many miles in a year.

but in my Pride i worked out that i do around 37mpg and the car has done 42,000 miles. so it's still got loads of trips left in it.

but that will all change when i wall the beast
                              KIA Pride 1996 1.3i LX 5dr 5speed.

Comment

almost 200 miles per day, about 80% highway at speeds in excess of 85mph (speedo only goes that high), with a carbed 4spd and burning a quart of oil every 150-200 miles, I get 34mpg. Consistenly. Every fillup almost. Cold weather, 32mpg. Real hot weather, 32 mpg. The rest of the time, 34. Lets see what a rebuild will do......
                                Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                                Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Working...
                                X