No announcement yet.

carbed festy starving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• here is an idea, i know the ignition control module in the distributor can be a problem with these cars. When my 88 lx's was going out it would buck like crazy. Finally one day as i was driving it, it just stopped running all together. I just let the car sit for 6 months. Finally i got to work on it and replaced everything like u did, but still wouldn't start. I knew it had no spark but didn't know why. I finally figured out it had to be something in the distributor, so i pulled it, took it all apart and "cleaned" it put it back together and still didn't work, so i just went and got a new one and as soon as i tuned the key it started right up. This could explain both the bucking and the mysterious fuel smell. If your getting little or no spark you could smell raw fuel as its sent through the exhaust.
    (GONE)88 Festiva LX 5 Speed, Factory A/C, Factory Tow Hitch, Tach.
    95k Original miles
    New: Tires, Axels, Front Wheel Bearings, Fuel Pump, Valve Cover Gasket, Carb Rebuild, Timing Set, Belts, Shoes, Distributor, CapRotor, Wires, Plugs, Coil, Grant 11" Steering Wheel, 3700 Watt Stereo System-6 1/2 Infinity speakers, Infinity tweeters, Almani 12" subs

Comment

• I'll give that a shot. I got rid of the fuel smell....fuel pump was leaking, ha.

Comment

• My bucking is back. Same problem as before. Shifting from first to second (manual), the car bill buck. Sometimes only very lightly, other times enough that I feel like I'm riding a bucking bronco. It doesn't do it all of the time though. 90% of the time, there is no problem. And it doesn't do it often enough for me to pin it on anything (rain, cold or warm engine, etc). When the bucking is minor, I can push and hold the stick all the way down into 2nd or all the way up into third to stop it. Almost as if the gear is sliding out. When the bucking is wild, there's nothing I can do to stop it except but push the gas pedal harder.

As anyone else tried this on their bucking problem? Pushing and holding the gear as far as it will go?

Comment

• try spark plug wires. mine stops bucking with new plug wires. still does a little before it gets warmed up though.
          89 L, hopefully returning from the dead soon with a little more power... :twisted:
          http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...77-my-89-build
          92 integra, daily driver, broke a clutch disc, sold
          New dd, 02 Nissan sentra, 1.8 5 spd

Comment

• 88L 4spd Man

i also have the bucking problem... also... when i first get the car to rolling it will all but jerk to a stop and then VROOOM take off... i could literally spin tires all day... then i shift and buck buck buck. I'll stop at a light and it will idle fine for about 10 secs and then studder and die. I have looked at the vaccum solenoids on the fire wall and one of them has been broken off. i cover it up and the car idles realllly high?
            "There's no half singing in the shower, your either a rockstar or an opera diva"

88' L (Daily Driver) 88' LX EMERGENSTEVIA

Comment

• Update

Ok... so i finally decided to give the steva some TLC... and in doing so i figured out that the timing was my problem. I took a timing light and looked it over good and noticed that i was about 4deg early so i advanced 6 degrees. making my actual timing 2degrees PTDC. It is so nice to be able to drive it normaly now. i smile each time i shift! Pm me for more info on the problem.
              "There's no half singing in the shower, your either a rockstar or an opera diva"

88' L (Daily Driver) 88' LX EMERGENSTEVIA

Comment

• I know I am way late... But my 88 carb lx.... Is feeling very fuel l starved... I really thought it was choke related but now I'm gonna have the timing checked... I would appreciate any new suggestions or idea. g3ride69@ msn.com (space was intentional)
                1988 Rustiva lx 1.3 carb
                Originally from MICHIGAN!
                no real mods, paid 175$ and driven it 30,000 miles or so! (240,000 total)

Comment

• Time for a cool change. You sound like the perfect candidate for a Weber carb change. As drdan how his change has worked out.

Comment

• Mine had some of these symptoms, i took the dist cap off and sanded the connections and now it runs fine.
                    93 Ford Festiva WA (project car)
                    98 Ford Festiva WF (aspire)(parts car)
                    98 "Gloria" Toyota Corolla AE101 (daily driver)

Comment

• I wanted to bring this post up, as this did happen to me, and was the whole reason that I changed to a Weber, thinking the stock carb was my problem.
                      That little hose that runs behind the fuel filter to the metal fuel line, its about 4-5 inches long, and is in a bind being that short. With age it gets soft and kinks. (gets kinky? :p) Blocks the fuel off after starting and running a bit from the pressure.
                      I'm not complaining, I like my Weber. Much better carb with better performance.
                      Just thought this problem needed addressed, as it is a sneaky problem and not easily detected, as the line is half hidden behind the fuel filter.
                      BTW, I fixed mine with a 12" long piece of new hose.

Originally posted by MAVRICK513 View Post
                      Just for giggles, try taking the fuel filter out of the wire basket it sits in near the fire wall. Just take it out of the basket & let it hang, then drive the car. I had the same problem a few years ago. Initially it was that my fuel filter gelled up during our cold winter. The old filter was not in the basket so to clean things up I put the new one in the basket. It would buck in 2ND gear & then shut off on me. I could restart it after about 30 seconds but the problem continued. After changing the fuel pump & checking fuel pressure, and running out of things to check, I finally took the filter out of the basket. Turns out that the angle necessary to put the filter in the basket slightly kinked & restricted the fuel line hose going into the filter & starved the carb. Give it a shot! Otherwise it may be that something was damaged in the fire. Check your fuel pressure going to the carb & work backwards from there. Don't rule out a bad new fuel pump too. I have seen a few of those.
                      Last edited by drddan; 01-08-2011, 11:34 PM.
                      Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                      Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                      Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                      Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                      http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

• Anyone figure out this problem? My 88'' chokes out upon initial acceleration in any gear just as I release the clutch. If I ease into the gas it will rev up... if I "punch it" it will turn off.

Comment

• check your accel pump/jet and make sure it's providing fuel to the carb venturi
                          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

• Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                            check your accel pump/jet and make sure it's providing fuel to the carb venturi
                            Thank you.

Actually figured it out last night. Turns out the thick hose that goes from the EVAP canister to the back of the intake had a nice size rip on the intake side. Replaced the hose and runs like an Enzo again

Comment

Working...
                            X