No announcement yet.

carbed festy starving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doe it have a fuel pump relay click.... click....
    it runs so sweet
    91 L 5spd

Comment

^ no, the carbed cars have a mechanical fuel pump.
      youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

oh ya duh! thats why I don't work on them, I would have to learn all over again.
        it runs so sweet
        91 L 5spd

Comment

well i have an 88 LX and some times on cold starts it'll sputter but once thats done it usually drives fine the rest of the way. and its got 248,XXX mile on it... i hear you guys on the noise behind the dash but that hasn't seemed to effect the driving any.

Comment

I have an 88 lx and it was surging/hesitating as the throttle was applied. It seemed to do it in the progession between idle and WOT. Sometimes it would get better with carb cleaner in the gas tank but it would always come back. I changed the plugs, wires, rotor and cap but that didn't help either. I had it smogged yesterday and it didn't pass due to a faulty (or just really old) catalitic converter. Changed it and it passed the emissions test and now it drives very very smoothly. No more buckling and having to give it a lot of gas off a stop in order to not stumble. We may not have the same problem, but it would be worth to check if you have a stock cat. I was sure it had something to do with the carb or the vacuum lines but they were fine. My car has 122k by the way.
            Oscar

Comment

I keep wondering about the cat.....we don't have emissions down here so I may hack it off.....

Comment

i took mine off 2 years ago. used a tire tool to break up the material inside. took about half a hour to get it all out, it is like a honey comb.put it back on. to look under the car you would think everything is normal. we don 't have emissions test here either just did it this way to keep from having to make up a new exhaust pipe.
                1960 willys pickup
                1967 jeep cj5

1988 festiva
                1989 festiva
                1990 festiva for parts
                1991 s-10

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Checked the cat perucho. But thanks! :thumbleft:
                  youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

The good news is, when someone finally figures this out, he's gonna fix a whole lot of Festivas. :shock:

Not exactly the problem the Batstiva is having, but sounds like it could be from the same source. Tho mine sounds more like perucho's problem than carbon's. :roll:

Let's see, on mine the engine, fuel pump, fuel tank, filter, plugs, cap, rotor button, ignition coil, map sensor have all been replaced. Oh, I forgot, the carb has also been swapped.

But, have been running it without heat shield over exhaust manifold since engine swap. Turns out that shield is actually important to a carbed fester. So, will find out if that is my problem [tho doubtful] in a couple of days.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                    1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                    1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                    Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Good luck batstiva. I guess I'm committed to swapping this carbed festy with the bp.

Comment

Originally posted by batstiva
                        The good news is, when someone finally figures this out, he's gonna fix a whole lot of Festivas. :shock:

Not exactly the problem the Batstiva is having, but sounds like it could be from the same source. Tho mine sounds more like perucho's problem than carbon's. :roll:

Let's see, on mine the engine, fuel pump, fuel tank, filter, plugs, cap, rotor button, ignition coil, map sensor have all been replaced. Oh, I forgot, the carb has also been swapped.

But, have been running it without heat shield over exhaust manifold since engine swap. Turns out that shield is actually important to a carbed fester. So, will find out if that is my problem [tho doubtful] in a couple of days.
                        So is the heat shield mainly important in cold weather? Mine runs the same with or w/o it, ha

Comment

Don't know if it's a cold weather only thing. It's supposed to help funnel warm air to the carb when needed. Mine, I noticed, ran alot better in the summer, right after the engine swap than it does now. Not sure if that's my problem or not, but not much left to change. lol

Comment

Man this topic IS hot.

Comment

Yeah, wasn't trying to hijack the thread. Was just saying it sounds like alot of carbed festies are having similar problems. Get one fixed, get them all fixed!

Comment

My carb'd one runs great!
                                Brian
                                http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                                :fish:

Comment

Working...