high idle on cold start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• high idle on cold start

when i start my 93 festiva after it cools off overnight it idles at about 3000rpm for 10 minutes or so till it warms up and gradually drops down to around 1000rpm. any one know how to fix this?

On my carburetted engine it's the automatic choke. The engine runs rich until it warms up. I can tap on the gas pedal to release the choke. Also, pumping the gas before starting helps. Could be your temperature sensor or fuel feed? Fuel injected engines have an air flow sensor which also causes problems when it gets dirty and sticks so I've read here.
    Last edited by WmWatt; 02-05-2019, 08:49 AM.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

it could be air flow sensor i also thought it could be the idle control sensor i put another used one on and nothing changed. but it still could be it. id almost rather have a carb on it but idk how hard it would be to convert over

Comment

Thats a bit strange, did it recently start doing that or did you buy it like this?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Comment

its did it ever since i bought it. we have alot of festivas and its the only one that does it.

Comment

my 91 wa festiva did the same thing, revved its heart out until it warmed up, even after it cooled down for an hour it would still do it, it was the auto choke on mine, it has a wax pellet mechanism that releases once it warms up, big issue with that carburetor i hear, the only way to fix is replace the choke mechanism if you can find one i think they stopped using them after that year. i bought a new Weber DFT carb, and had it fitted by the "carby man", not cheap, but runs great now.

Comment

weber DFT carb fitted on my 91 wa festiva
              damn cant get a decent pic to load
              Attached Files
              Last edited by cathari5; 02-07-2019, 12:56 AM.

Comment

lets try again rsz_img_20190207_151744.jpg

Comment

mine is fuel injection. i need to replace alot of parts on it as its approaching 250,000 miles

Comment

oh right ok, i think my model was the last of the carbureted models, mines done about 208000 miles, needed to replace heaps of stuff , she runs and handles great now, good luck

Comment

What does it normally idle at when it is warm?
                      "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
                      sigpic
                      "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
                      "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
                      "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
                      "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
                      https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

^^ I think the spec in the Haynes manual is 750rmp as I recall when checking the timing. Carburetted engine.
                        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

My warm Idle is about 1000 RPM in my EFI. I am wondering if OP has their warm idle set too high possibly
                          "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
                          sigpic
                          "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
                          "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
                          "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
                          "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
                          https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

it idles around 1000 sometimes a little less it sometimes runs a hair rough at an idle especially in the summer. im thinking ill be getting a new throttle for it since i seen they arent too expensive.

Comment

but yeah the first ten minutes in the morning ut revs at 3000 burns alot of gas warming up

Comment

Working...
                              X