I’m back and need help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I’m back and need help!!

I was an active member for a little while about a couple years ago. At the time I had 90 model festiva with only 150k miles, and was a great car. Not the best looking but got me to school and back, which was an hr away one way. On my way to school one morning, I was going around a curve and the car kept going straight. I hit a ditch, a concrete culvert and took out a stop sign. The wreck wasn’t awful (thank the good lord) but my back was sore for a few weeks. Unfortunately I totaled the car, but I have a lot of salvageable parts including engine and trans.
    I just recently purchased a 93 model from my brother that has around 280k on the odo. The issue I’m dealing with is the car will hesitate upon acceleration. It will hold you back enough to feel it, almost like it’s not getting enough fuel. It’s not a dead miss like a spark issue, this one comes on and goes away gradually. It will hold me back, then full power, hold me back, full power, just back and forth within a second or two of each other. I have changed the fuel filter but have not tested it yet. If not I’m assuming a partially clogged injector. If it’s anything too extravagant then I’m just going to swap engines, which I’m probably going to do anyway (the wrecked car engine still only has around 160k). I’am a diesel tech so I know my way around a vehicle, gas or diesel. I haven’t messed with it a whole lot, just seeing if anyone has ran into the same issue. Thanks in advance!!

I forgot to add, I looked at the fuel rail and didn’t see a test port for fuel pressure. Do these cars have one? I want to test the fuel pressure to make sure I’m not dealing with a weak pump.

Comment

The forum is not as active as it used to be because so many people have abandoned it for the facebook version. The meat and potatoes are still here though and people there get referred to this forum all the time and appear as guests here at lot.

If you haven't tried it yet and you have a spare vane airflow meter, I would exchange them and see if you see any difference.

Other Ideas https://fordfestiva.com/forums/forum...dle-adjustment
      https://fordfestiva.com/forums/forum...n-accelerating
      https://fordfestiva.com/forums/forum...-control-valve

There is no test port on the fuel rail. You have to take the hose off the rail to test it. Be sure to wrap a towel around the area to soak up the fuel from the pressure that may remain in the line when you remove it.
      Last edited by 1990new; 10-25-2020, 10:54 AM.

Comment

check air filter
        try driving with the gas cap off (fuel system not vented)
        check for elec ark around dist cap at night
        check for cracks in the air intake hose
        all easy to do
        Best bet is dist is going bad
        Good luck

Comment

Sea foam in the gas if you think it is injector related

Comment

If you think it's a fuel problem you could check the screen on the fuel pump and look for sediment in the fuel tank. If it's only a problem on high speed acceleration tests done when not running or at idle might not turn up anything.I suspect my car's 30 year old catalytic converter might be getting restricted from the exhaust type noise at highway speed but around town there are no symptoms.
            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
            X