1989 Festiva EFI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1989 Festiva EFI

Well I'm in a pickle, For one I love this car it has always got me home starting to go somewhere not so but I always got home.
    This time around the car starts, chokes a bit then dies, I replaced the fuel pump the fuel filter and the mafs I get the same thing.

When I unplug the mafs it runs smooth at idle when I give it gas it then just dies. it should be a simple fix.

Any help would be appreciated.

P.S.
    I tried to upload a picture of the car but the forum wont let me.

the maf measures air flow to control the fuel injectors so this normal behavior. I wonder if your fuel pressure regulator has a problem or you have a vacuum leak?

Comment

Thank you for the reply I'm starting to think its the new fuel pump, possibly just as bad as the old one. if that's not it like you say the regulator.
      Last night I used the fuel pump by pass jumper and disconnected the MAF and the car ran and accelerated but filled the shop with over rich fumes
      I mean way over rich I could almost see gas droplets. I come up with codes 8 short and 1 long I take that as a code 8 and code 1.

Comment

This recent discussion sounds similar....https://fordfestiva.com/forums/forum...igure-out-what
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

If the engines runs at idle with the vaf unplugged that means the fuel pump is jumpered and is not turned on by the vaf when the switch is in on position. The switch in start position turns it on and then the vaf is supposed to send a signal to keep it running when the switch goes back to the run position if air is flowing.

The picture upload feature is picky. Reduce your picture to no bigger than 156K and then follow all the steps in the upload feature. Click on the image icon and not the upload attachments or upload from URL buttons.

Make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks. A leaky vacuum causes all kind of problems.
          Also when playing around with fuel lines, make sure you have a good fire extinguisher nearby. Too may good Festivas have gone up in flames because one was not close by.
          Last edited by 1990new; 06-07-2022, 08:36 PM.

Comment

I just had a read of ...https://fordfestiva.com/forums/forum...igure-out-what and it sounds like the issue, I think I got a bad fuel pump I have another on the way I will give it a try.
            its getting tuff repairing things these days as an example I had a bad actuator on my laundry washing machine replaced it still had issues, to spare
            the boring text it took 4 replacements to get a good one all along thinking it was me and my diagnostic ability's and going completely through the machine each and every time.

Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by 1990new View Post
              If the engines runs at idle with the vaf unplugged that means the fuel pump is jumpered and is not turned on by the vaf when the switch is in on position. The switch in start position turns it on and then the vaf is supposed to send a signal to keep it running when the switch goes back to the run position if air is flowing.

The picture upload feature is picky. Reduce your picture to no bigger than 156K and then follow all the steps in the upload feature. Click on the image icon and not the upload attachments or upload from URL buttons.

Make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks. A leaky vacuum causes all kind of problems.
              Also when playing around with fuel lines, make sure you have a good fire extinguisher nearby. Too may good Festivas have gone up in flames because one was not close by.
              11.jpg
              Thank you for the advise, For myself fire extinguishers are part of my day everyday, been in a few fires, don't believe it when your told lay on the ground. find your last deep breath and head OUT fast. The last fire I was in I took that advise only to find more smoke,, I'm not even sure it can be called smoke. anyway I have a fire extinguisher everywhere I go.

Good advise

Comment

Hi All,
                Can I hitch a ride in this topic? My son is dealing with similar fuel issues with his 1989 Festiva EFI. He is several states away so I'm trying to help remotely.
                First question: how important is the flow direction in the fuel filter for these cars? He recently (three weeks ago?) replaced the fuel filter, and the problems have gotten worse since then. Now it won't start at all. He thinks he may have reversed the hoses on the Inlet/Outlet marked on the new filter. Easy fix if that's a big deal. Is it?

Comment

dkdeford: Should be easy to check orientation of fuel filtre. They have an arrow indicating direction of flow. Make sure hose leading from under car is at the intake end. I have the 89 carburetted model but I think the EFI filtre is also located low on the driver's side firewall. Could be mistaken there. If you want to list what your son has tried so far people here can suggest other things to check. It's what they do.
                  Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

As suspected it was a defective fuel pump. me new pump arrived today I just installed it and the little Festiva fired right and runs great.

My advise is buy the best quality you can the first time around. this doesn't mean spend more money just find a reliable parts supply and stick with it.

Thanks for all the help people.

Comment

Originally posted by shortride View Post
                      As suspected it was a defective fuel pump. me new pump arrived today I just installed it and the little Festiva fired right and runs great.

My advise is buy the best quality you can the first time around. this doesn't mean spend more money just find a reliable parts supply and stick with it.

Thanks for all the help people.
                      That's great. Glad you got it fixed.
                      Can you let us know where you bought the fuel pump so others will know where to order one?

Comment

I bought it off ebay not sure if I should post the user. but if you see a Festive fuel pump picture like this one on ebay steer clear.

I try not to drill anyone.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I bought mine from RockAuto about a year ago... it was (and still is) roughly $30 (plus shipping) for the same thing (pump, strainer, wiring, etc)...and have had the same success (thus far, anyway). Nice to see we can replace just the pump and not the entire assembly. Makes for a cheaper repair...and I'm cheap. :-)
                          I am currently Festivaless. I am without Festiva. Non-Festiva. I'm UnFestiva'ed. Living post-Festiva. Ex-Festiva Life. Hashtag sad :'-(

PS - Please send very low-dollar offers. Currently looking to buy, but will have to empty the couch cushions to do so. Hashtag sad, again.

Comment

The difference for my pump is the mounting bracket fitting. the original pump on the bottom look like the first picture. it comes with screen filter hose no need for the wire. the 2nd picture would not mount up and the seal that seals the fuel tube going to the motor was the wrong size. I like Rock Auto we get good parts for a good value and if I happen to be short of funds thanks to
                            Robroperty Taxes they always have the lesser quality for less money until I can get a better part.
                            fuel pump end.jpg 55.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by dkdeford View Post
                              Hi All,
                              Can I hitch a ride in this topic? My son is dealing with similar fuel issues with his 1989 Festiva EFI. He is several states away so I'm trying to help remotely.
                              First question: how important is the flow direction in the fuel filter for these cars? He recently (three weeks ago?) replaced the fuel filter, and the problems have gotten worse since then. Now it won't start at all. He thinks he may have reversed the hoses on the Inlet/Outlet marked on the new filter. Easy fix if that's a big deal. Is it?
                              From my understanding if you run a fuel filter in reverse it will still filter but it will plug a lot faster, be sure to get a new filter and not to just re-install the fuel filter
                              in the correct direction if it is re-installed the injectors will get a burst of gas tank filth. also when looking at the fuel pump be sure to check the seal the pump out tube
                              goes into. you may have 2 the one the tip of the pump gets pushed into from the bracket gets hard and stops sealing so some people will use a O-ring to seal the out tube.
                              The O-ring scenario will last for a few week/months or just take a guess. I use Buna hose the full length of the pump out nipple.

Comment

Working...
                              X