Project: Get my car Driving Again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hers my choices, i heard fram sucks, but have no idea on other brands

I am starting to understand what you mean, maybe it could be the fuel filter because over the course of 3 months the car would die then run again, with me thinking im not pressing the clutch quick enough\
    Last edited by collegeboi; 08-07-2008, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Goes on the sending unit in the head right there? Female bullet connector. Does this help?
      Have owned 9 so far
      White 89 L converted to LX "The Curmudgeon" Being a Curmudgeon right now.
      Blue 89 L converted to LX "Shtinky" FMS crate engine,cam,flywheel,hail dents
      Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!
      Red 88 L converted to LX "Rasta, Mon" Now retired
      Where did all these @#*&%$ Toyotas come from around here?

Comment

From the choices I saw on Parts America you linked to, I would choose Beck Arnley parts any day! Rock Auto is a good choice for parts off the web too. You can use discount codes, and save 5% too.
        Have owned 9 so far
        White 89 L converted to LX "The Curmudgeon" Being a Curmudgeon right now.
        Blue 89 L converted to LX "Shtinky" FMS crate engine,cam,flywheel,hail dents
        Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!
        Red 88 L converted to LX "Rasta, Mon" Now retired
        Where did all these @#*&%$ Toyotas come from around here?

Comment

Update, dang man checkers only have fram fuel filters. guess i have to get the generic one.

Comment

Originally posted by collegeboi View Post
            Update, dang man checkers only have fram fuel filters.
            Fram's aren't that bad, they just aren't as high a quality as others!
            You may want to consider your changing the filter without knowing it really bad!
            I should have had you test it first!
            Disconnect the fuel line right after the filter or just before the carb, whichever is easier.
            Then have some one crank over the motor for a sec or two!
            Should be all you need to see if your getting fuel to the carb.
            You know, could be your pump too.
            Same thing disconnect fuel line after the pump and crank her over and see if you get fuel out!
            Be careful and don't smoke when your doing this!
            '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
            '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
            '92 Aqua parts Car
            '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
            '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
            Your holy ghost will not save you.
            Your God plutonium will not save you.
            In fact...
            ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Mines an 88L with a carb. The fuel filter was available for only $5 at autozone and aid auto stores. It took 2 minutes to change. No unscrewing anything. Maybe later years are a different fuel filter? Its so easy to change, I dont even see why its worth the time checking to see if its working right.

Comment

what do you you mean checking to see if it works right?, im taking one step at a time, taking advice from the pros.

Comment

Stalling in all conditions.....ignition or fuel....not the trans.
                  Question...does it stall at idle only and sustain itself if the accelerator is pressed?
                  Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
                  The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

Originally posted by collegeboi View Post
                    what do you you mean checking to see if it works right?

What I mean is have you checked if you have fuel flow from the pump to filter then to the carb.
                    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                    '92 Aqua parts Car
                    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                    Your holy ghost will not save you.
                    Your God plutonium will not save you.
                    In fact...
                    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Fuel filter is available at autozone cheap. As you face the engine it's in the right rear and under the vacuum booster for the brakes. I don't know about a two minute install. I suppose it's easy if you can fit your arms down there. The filter is pluged into a rubber line on either side and held by tiny clamps. I found it tough to tyr and relieve the pressure on the clamps in order to remove and then to install a new filter. I have an 88lx.

Overall not that bad to do and should be done regularly.

HTH
                      88 LX - Twin turbo, Intercooled :p
                      Recently re-chistened from "Cheapstiva" to "Expenstiva"

Comment

UPDATE: bought napa fuel filter, installed it (dang the claps were hard for the 1dst time.)

still the car dies out and seems to die out as soon as i start it. Bought Carb cleaner and will try that .,

With the carb cleaner would it be best to remove air filter, have some1 start the car and
                        immediately spray the cleaner in the middle hole between the air filter.

Possible problems / changed
                        1. Fuel filter

* will check lines from fuel pump to filter to engine.

Comment

Originally posted by jglutz View Post
                          Stalling in all conditions.....ignition or fuel....not the trans.
                          Question...does it stall at idle only and sustain itself if the accelerator is pressed?
                          Yeas exactly, stall at idle then when i accelerate it a few times then it idle but very low like it could die out at any time

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
                          What I mean is have you checked if you have fuel flow from the pump to filter then to the carb.
                          Yes i checked the line from the filter to the pump and it looks fine, when changing filter , gas poured out, is that a sign of anything?

Comment

if i didnt say this b4, THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS.

Comment

ok, first, Pu241: it's a carbed engine, the pump is AFTER the filter. there will be no pressure at the filter.

college: so you've changed the filter, but did you prime it before trying to start it? (install both ends of filter, then follow the output end to the pump. remove that end of the hose and SLOWLY pour fuel untill it can't take any more and you can see very little air in the filter. re-install the hose and remove the coil wire from the distro. crank engine a few times. re-install coil wire and attempt to start.) Note: this assumes that the pump is in good working order.

NEXT: test the pump for output (you'll need a second person for this). get a glass jar and a length of fuel line. remove pump to carb line and install length of hose. place other end of hose in jar. remove coil wire and have friend crank engine. fuel should pump into jar easily. then gently pinch hose and crank again. fuel should spurt out with some force. if one or neither of those two conditions occur, replace fuel pump.

then its on to spark: if it's not strong enough the car won't idle. purchace a spark tester from your local McAuto Parts and follow the directions. you're testing the coil output as well as system integrity (good cap, rotor, wires?)
                              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                                ok, first, Pu241: it's a carbed engine, the pump is AFTER the filter. there will be no pressure at the filter.

college: so you've changed the filter, but did you prime it before trying to start it? (install both ends of filter, then follow the output end to the pump. remove that end of the hose and SLOWLY pour fuel untill it can't take any more and you can see very little air in the filter. re-install the hose and remove the coil wire from the distro. crank engine a few times. re-install coil wire and attempt to start.) Note: this assumes that the pump is in good working order.

NEXT: test the pump for output (you'll need a second person for this). get a glass jar and a length of fuel line. remove pump to carb line and install length of hose. place other end of hose in jar. remove coil wire and have friend crank engine. fuel should pump into jar easily. then gently pinch hose and crank again. fuel should spurt out with some force. if one or neither of those two conditions occur, replace fuel pump.

then its on to spark: if it's not strong enough the car won't idle. purchace a spark tester from your local McAuto Parts and follow the directions. you're testing the coil output as well as system integrity (good cap, rotor, wires?)
                                Really. I have never had a carb Festiva, but that is the first time I have ever heard that. Every car I've owned (I'm old) had the filter after the pump. Usually the pump doesn't like to pull fuel through a filter. It would much rather push it through.

I really vote for fuel. When it stalls/dies will it start immediately back up?
                                If the pressure is too low it will "run out" of fuel. But once you start it again, usually a weak system has time to catch up a bit and the cycle starts over.

The carb looks rather clean actually. But it could be a sticking float. Too low.

And again I have not owned a Festy with a carb. But I cannot imagine them to be so different than the 35 other carb cars I've owned.

One last thing. Buy me an airline ticket, I'll come help.
                                Rodney

1991 FI 5 Speed Aqua Blue

Comment

Working...
                                X