Project: Get my car Driving Again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mattswabb View Post
    see pics below then go out and check yours. Leave the wires connected and be sure to put the rotor back exactly as you removed it. It can go in 3 different ways so be sure not to put it back on wrong.

Look at these 2 parts for corrosion inside and for damage. Any moisture and corrosion will affect them. If they look bad then replace them or even sand the terminals inside and the rotor end. Also are your spark plug wires good?

Rotor

Cap

Thanks man i will check and even post pictures.

Great info guys.
    Mom wants me to get rid of her but it'll be running soon(hopefully)

> YES I HAVE a MANUAL

Comment

I don't think Monsoon was trying to be cocky at all. A Haynes manual, or Chilton manual is the first thing you should buy after you take possesion of a vehicle, that is unless you don't want to learn anything about the car, don't want to work on it, and love forking over tons of cash to repair shops or stealerships that may not be as caring as you are with your own vehicle.
      90 Festiva with Brand new B3, 5spd
      92 B6 Festiva, 5spd
      94 Mustang DSS 331, Vortec S-Trim, 5 spd
      94 Mustang GT, stock, automatic

Comment

UPDATE: Could be the CAP!

You wanna go to ?, yeah i got the manual and without it, id be lost.

Ok the wires are in ok condition at minimal ( will be changed)
        ** Dist Cap looked bad, took it off and had SLudge dripping from the bottom.
        The Rotor looks fine though.

Heres pictures

^^^^ THOSE drIPs WERE FROM THE CAP

Could this be the reason of stalling?

Comment

Originally posted by collegeboi View Post

Could this be the reason of stalling?
          Oh yes. There are all sorts of directions for a spark to travel other than to the plug.
          Ewwwwwww. Like nasty chocolate cake.
          Rodney

1991 FI 5 Speed Aqua Blue

Comment

before replacing the cap/rotor (even though you should anyway) wipe it down and look for carbon traces like i told you to 2 pages ago. DON'T use solvents to wipe it down, just dry rags. from your pics it looks like you have a few traces around the main tower (center) and near cyls. 1 and 3. that would be problem #1. after finding the traces, clean those areas with carb/brake clean.

problem #2 is where the 'sludge' is comming from. i'll bet it's the inner distro seal (not something you want to try to repair yourself). CLEAN it. remove the rotor and inner cover and then spray the inside of the distro down with brake or carb clean and let it dry (won't take long). after you clean the distro and cap, put it all back together and i'll bet cookies it'll idle better.

you'll still want to purchace a spark tester to test the coil. take your plugs and a stiff wire brush and clean the chamber sid as best you can. the carbon deposits that someone mistook for corrosion are most likely comming from misfires (fuel not burning).
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
              the carbon deposits that someone mistook for corrosion are most likely comming from misfires (fuel not burning).
              I know I said corrosion earlier, but I couldn't think of the words "carbon deposits" in the two min I had to write it so I substituted, I'm sorry
              89' Maroon and black Festiva LX with a sunroof. :alien:

Comment

from the pictures it looks like the sludge could be a seal that people sometimes put on the distributor cap to keep out moisture and I cant tell from the pictures, but it looks as if the metal connectors, are dirty/covered in sludge.
                89' Maroon and black Festiva LX with a sunroof. :alien:

Comment

Great points guys, Ok everythings apart so first thing tomorrow i will clean everything and put back together and if by some miracle, it works and car runs good then next week will replace all mentioned. BTW getting money next week and will garantee ( no bs) that i will donate 20$ to this website. Everyones imput is greatly appreciated.

Comment

You wanna go to ?,
                    You couldn't handle me, and besides I punish enough wrestlers right now:-P
                    92 B6 Festiva, 5spd

Comment

hahaha interesting, 4-0 mma right now and straight stand up

btw working on purple belt for jujitsu LOL

Comment

hahaha interesting, 4-0 mma right now and straight stand up

btw working on purple belt for jujitsu LOL
                        Good for you:-)
                        92 B6 Festiva, 5spd

Comment

thank you :p

Comment

When you replace the rotor put the new one on in the same position - very improtant.

When you switch the cap leave the wires on the old one and pull the cap off. Put the new cap on without the wires. Then one by one swap the wires over to the exact plug. Notice that there are 5 plugs and 1 vent. Put the new cap on the same as you took off the old one, put the vent in the same orientation.

After all the wires are swapped over then you can change the wires. One by one again.

Do this and there is no way you can cross the wires up. Switch them around and the car will not start and you'll have even more problems to figure out.

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
                            BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
                            BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
                            New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

Also I hope by the earlier pictures of the wires off the cap you know how they go back on.

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
                              BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
                              BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
                              New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

yes i know how they go on.

Comment

Working...
                                X