Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just curious. My '89 FI AutoTrans died on me this morning and I happened to have a spare module (Igniter J 207) and when I switched to the new (actually, used but pre-tested as good) one the car started. Any way to test the old unit out of the distributor, and has anybody opened one up to try a repair/re-build of the module?
    After the first one failed on me a few years ago I tried to get one through a parts house, but it was a Saturday on a long weekend and they wouldn't've even been able to order one 'til the following Tuesday, and it listed for about 120 bucks. I hit a you-pull-it JY and got one for $5. I've since grabbed one every time I've seen it at a JY, and that's how I happened to have one in the glove box, and I know there's at least one more around somewhere, I believe in a toolbox in the garage.
    Do the later model AutoTrans models have the same module, or are they all the one that's part of the disty itself?
    Thanks.
    Rob J

Comment

:p Good toipc!

Comment

Originally posted by bugbor View Post
        Just curious. My '89 FI AutoTrans died on me this morning and I happened to have a spare module (Igniter J 207) and when I switched to the new (actually, used but pre-tested as good) one the car started. Any way to test the old unit out of the distributor, and has anybody opened one up to try a repair/re-build of the module?
        After the first one failed on me a few years ago I tried to get one through a parts house, but it was a Saturday on a long weekend and they wouldn't've even been able to order one 'til the following Tuesday, and it listed for about 120 bucks. I hit a you-pull-it JY and got one for $5. I've since grabbed one every time I've seen it at a JY, and that's how I happened to have one in the glove box, and I know there's at least one more around somewhere, I believe in a toolbox in the garage.
        Do the later model AutoTrans models have the same module, or are they all the one that's part of the disty itself?
        Thanks.
        Carb Festys are completely different and 89 auto Festys are a transition year but (solely for EFI Festys) I was told that rebuild kits for in-dizzie camshaft position sensors are not (and never have been) available and that you have to buy a complete new dizzie or have the old one rebuilt. On that note forum member Bobstad paid "full freight" at NAPA for one of these last year ($400 +/-) and that has prompted me to scour all 90-96 Mazda cars at JYs for these elusive (and now known expensive) dizzies. Whatever type of dizzies were used on EFI Festys are also common to many other Mazda pre-OBDII cars.
        It didn't bother me in the slightest at the U-Pull to have to fork over $10 for a virtually new dizzie plus cap and wires (wasn't even dirty nor the aluminum dulled) that I scored off a 94 MX3 B6 16 valve engine last spring.

Comment

Does anybody have the diagram that was in the original post?

Comment

+2 on re-posting the original wiring diagram. Technology is a fickle mistress.
            I am currently Festivaless. I am without Festiva. Non-Festiva. I'm UnFestiva'ed. Living post-Festiva. Ex-Festiva Life. Hashtag sad :'-(

PS - Please send very low-dollar offers. Currently looking to buy, but will have to empty the couch cushions to do so. Hashtag sad, again.

Comment

I third that diagram summoning. 89 fi atx coil spark died on me two months ago. Took me this long to find you guys I must be losing my touch. Hello to all of you as well, so much awesome info.

Comment

Originally posted by FB71 View Post

Follow the wiring diagram below.
                Do you still have the Diagram saved somewhere Jim?
                Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

JDMSTIVA V2 - Racecar, Showcar, Work in Progress - (Build Thread)

1990 LX - B6D swapped, mostly stock.

How to find me:
                Facebook messenger is the best way. m.me/willsamet
                Feel free to PM me anytime!
                Reddit / Snapchat / everywhere else: w4rky
                Instagram/Twitter: @WILLSAMET

Comment

Any chance you could post the diagram of the disty tester again ?
                  186,000 miles per second is not just a good idea, it's the law

1990 yellow L+ (l8ly)
                  1990 yellow L+ (sunryz)
                  1992 aqua L (agua)
                  1993 blue L (aurora)

Comment

If I ever have another one go bad on any feisty distributor,I'm going to use a GM 4 wire module,coil and heat sink they will work with almost any trigger even points as a trigger.
                    Last edited by ricko1966; 04-25-2019, 10:48 PM.
                    30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

I'm sorry didn't mean to discount your tester, just with 6 festys. 3 different distributor types a one size fits all solution is more practical for me.
                      30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

where is the wiring diagram?

Comment

Working...
                        X