No announcement yet.

No Headlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update: Got a new relay at AutoZone... The one they gave me matched the Festiva one perfectly. I did not have any of the tabs for the relay to fit properly, as Monsoon mentioned.

Still no headlights though.

Suggestions?

Just as a "going back"... Headlights worked fine when I got the car last Tuesday. Since then (or rather... Sunday and Monday), I removed the automatic seat belts, the control module under the seat, the motors from behind the panels, etc...

I've switched the stock gauge cluster for one with a tach. Everything on the cluster works fine. Does the cluster have ANYTHING to do with the headlights?

And I've replaced the headlight bulbs with new Silverstar bulbs.

I have confirmed that a working headlight (directly from my dads Festiva) will also not light up when plugged into my car. It does when it goes back into his. As I noted, I can hear the relay click off when I flick the headlight switch off. And there is no high beam indicator when I flick forward or pull back.

The relay itself looked just fine. It was up on the inner fender well, secured on with a screw. It was in similar condition to the other relays that are there, which all seem to be working.

Also - I replaced the fusible link with a cartridge style fuse. When I take the fuse out with the headlight switch turned on, I can hear the relay clicking off. That tells me that the relay seems to be working fine.

Next steps?
    Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

What about swaping the original cluster back into it just to see if it is the cluster or something else?
      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
      '92 Aqua parts Car
      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
      Your holy ghost will not save you.
      Your God plutonium will not save you.
      In fact...
      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

I unplugged the cluster and tried it... Got nothing different. I guess I'll swap the old cluster back in and see what happens. To me, there shouldn't be anything that'd cause the headlights NOT to work just because of the cluster swap.

Blah....

I'll try the other steps posted on page 1 too... It's checking voltage and stuff on the plugs. I didn't have my volt meter on me.
        Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

update - Crap... I may have been replacing the wrong relay. I'll have to check again tomorrow. But in the pics, I was replacing the rear of the 2. It did match perfectly though!
          Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

Originally posted by SimonTuffGuy View Post
            I unplugged the cluster and tried it... Got nothing different. I guess I'll swap the old cluster back in and see what happens. To me, there shouldn't be anything that'd cause the headlights NOT to work just because of the cluster swap.
            Agreed there shouldn't be, but think I had a similar issue when I swapped a cluster on a friends festiva.
            Just don't remember what we did to fix it.
            But do remember swapping the cluster back into it to make sure we hadn't mess it up!
            '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
            '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
            '92 Aqua parts Car
            '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
            '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
            Your holy ghost will not save you.
            Your God plutonium will not save you.
            In fact...
            ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

I'm going back over all the other cars... I did the same thing to each of them; swapped in the gauge cluster, removed the automatic belts and control box, etc... There shouldn't be anything different, unless the cluster is messing something up.

I'll swap back tomorrow and see how it goes. Then I'll look at that relay and make sure I've swapped the right one.
              Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

have you confirmed power OR ground to your light harness? i wouldn't swap parts till you do that. (ground should be constant for the lights and switched for the relay).
                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

The white wire going into the headlight relay doesn't have any power, headlights on or off. The wires next to and below the white wire on that plug both get 12V, and the one opposite of the white wire (diagonally) doesn't have anything either, even when pulling high beams or whatever...
                  Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

Originally posted by Festiva_tunner View Post
                    Ok Book shows only two relays one behind the batt one is headlight and the parking is on the pass fender. there is a possibility of three relays behind the batt order from headlight to cowl daytime running (CAN ONLY), Headlamp, Cooling Fan - so if its a us car then it should be the furthest forward of the two that are there.

Ok under the troubleshooting hints for your condition (loosely defined)
                    Check 12V on Red wires at Headlamp relay (C141)
                    Disconect Relay C141, apply 12V to White wire
                    If headlights illuminate check Headlamp relay
                    In no, check headlamp switch

Hope that gives you direction - I just dealt with this on the latest car - it was the relay

Going back to this... I applied 12V to the white wire and got nothing... Perhaps it is the headlight switch, since everything else seems to be checking out ok...
                    Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

Also - switched the cluster back and no difference, as expected. :\
                      Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

Going back to this... I applied 12V to the white wire and got nothing... Perhaps it is the headlight switch, since everything else seems to be checking out ok...
                        ok your white wire should not have 12 unless the relay is applied - the red wire should have the 12 if your switch is on - if your not getting 12 on the red then check your switch and your wires under the colum covers.

update - Crap... I may have been replacing the wrong relay. I'll have to check again tomorrow. But in the pics, I was replacing the rear of the 2. It did match perfectly though!
                        the only difference in the relays is the plug color and the wires that go into the plug it sounds like you swapped the cooling fan relay

91 L - modified to SLX- "Tin Can Project"
                        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2850897
                        92 GL - parts car
                        97 aspire - parts car
                        87 323 DX - daily driver

Visit My Store - New Products available!
                        http://www.cafepress.com/tunner

Car enthusiasts will respect all makes and models that preform.
                        Brand enthusiasts are the root of all problems in the car community.

Comment

Well... I feel like a big idiot right now.

It was the switch. And the reason that the switch wasn't working is because the plug for the headlights wasn't plugged into the back of the switch!

I was going to install an intermittent wiper module on Saturday too... But when I pulled it, I saw we already did it (for my dad). I had already pulled the assembly out towards me and I guess I didnt realize that the one plug let go.

Oh well.... It's fixed, it wasn't the relay (which means I'm returning that darn thing @ $15....) and my headlights now work.

Thanks so much for all the assistance.
                          Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

Originally posted by Festiva_tunner View Post
                            ok your white wire should not have 12 unless the relay is applied - the red wire should have the 12 if your switch is on - if your not getting 12 on the red then check your switch and your wires under the colum covers.

the only difference in the relays is the plug color and the wires that go into the plug it sounds like you swapped the cooling fan relay
                            My Festiva must've put the relays in backwards then... The one closest to my headlight had a blue plug and was much wider than the headlight relay. The relay was back (so, closest towards the firewall). It had the white wire and 3 red/striped wires though... AND, the relay that I got (#19327 from AutoZone) fit perfectly without having to break any tabs (as I mentioned above))

You're right though... It was the switch.
                            Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

If you have no Headlights, No Instrument lights, but the "Lights on" alarm squeals...It's the contacts on the connector on the backside of the tach. Pull Instrument Cluster and use scotchbrite pad to "brighten-up" the pins. Might as well, do the connector pins behind the Speedo.

Comment

You're right though... It was the switch.

Glad you got lights again - your not the only one thats forgot to plug things in - the worst is when you dont get the speedo cable back on all the way and you take off down the road and it comes off

91 L - modified to SLX- "Tin Can Project"
                                http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2850897
                                92 GL - parts car
                                97 aspire - parts car
                                87 323 DX - daily driver

Visit My Store - New Products available!
                                http://www.cafepress.com/tunner

Car enthusiasts will respect all makes and models that preform.
                                Brand enthusiasts are the root of all problems in the car community.

Comment

Working...
                                X