Help me please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me please!

I'm not sure how to word this question as I'm not much of a car person. I have an 89' L festiva that I'm having some issues with. Its got an oil problem. I'm getting oil in the air box and it seems to be circulating into the exhaust causing my car to smoke from where the manifold meets the bock and at the connection to the down pipe. At first there was a good amount of oil in my engine bay. Looked and looked and could not find a leak. I've since taken off the manifold and completely cleaned that area of the motor because that is where it seemed the worst and was causing my car to smoke due to oil dripping on the down pipe or so it seemed. After that I test drove it and it was smoking a lot less after I shut it off, but I noticed the smoke coming from the block right where the manifold meets and also at the point where the mani meets the down pipe. There is a tube that basically runs from the air box to the down pipe and a hose from the head to the air box. My thought is the oil is being sucked or blown into the air box and then circulated down into the exhaust. Is that a possibility? If so what steps should I take to remedy the problem?
    Product of 2 red blooded blue collared lovers.

89' L

I think your problems are all going to come back to a leaking valve cover gasket. If that starts to leak (and they go out quite a bit, especially if you are driving a car now that has been sitting for any amount of time) the oil will drip down onto the exhaust, causing the smoke you see. Also, if you remove the valve cover, you will see another panel with another gasket on the underside of the VC. If this goes bad (also common) you will start to pull oil through the breather and into the air filter housing. Good new is that it's a fairly easy fix. The VC gasket kit costs about 15 - 20 bucks, depending on where you get it, and it's about a 30 - 45 minute job. Just be sure when you put everything back together that you only torque the vc bolts down to spec. Get a torque wrench for this. Those bolts are very easy to break if over tightened. Best of Luck!

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
    1989 L - 247K miles Slick
    1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
    Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Thats what I believed to be part of the problem all along. Any "mechanic" that looked at it said it could be the rings are bad or a valve could be stuck and said both of those could play apart in the oil problem. The car runs perfectly, smooth, and sound with no problems. One thing I found odd is if I check the oil with the car not running its filled. Run the car for a few minutes then shut it off, let it sit for a few and check the oil again and its bone dry. the oil doesn't seem to be circulating. Could the oil be filling the valve cover and the pressure built from it not circulating be causing it to blow out the vc gasket and out of the breather into the air box?

89' L

Comment

If you're reading full with the vehicle cold, and dry after running the vehicle for a few minutes, then shutting it off, and checking, then your oil is circulating. If not, it would read full all the time. Try this, run the car til the engine hit operating temps, then shut it off and leave it alone for at least 15 minutes, then check it. And see what results you get.

That's the procedure my Haynes says to use, and that's pretty much how I've always checked my oil. FWIW, I still think replacing the VC gasket will solve a lot of your oil loss problems.

Comment

Thank you good Sir!

89' L

Comment

Also check your fuel pump, mine was leaking oil and after a couple of seconds of running the pump would be leaking, just run your finger under the fuel pump and if there is alot of oil under that then that could be the oil leak.
            '90 LX

Comment

Originally posted by wybnrml View Post
              Also check your fuel pump....
              Depending upon whether he has an ATX or Manual tranny he may not have a cam actuated fuel pump.
              The '89 ATX's units were EFI(electric fuel pump) the manual tranny units were carbed and had the pump you describe.

Sixthirtytwo, you want to give us a little more info about your vehicle?
              '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
              '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
              '92 Aqua parts Car
              '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
              '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
              Your holy ghost will not save you.
              Your God plutonium will not save you.
              In fact...
              ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

^^ Good point. I just kind of assumed it was a carbie. And you know what happens when we assume.

Comment

this is why i like this place, there are always answers to all my questions. I just noticed today that i had oil going to my air box also. Thanks for the info bastiva.

'89 Ford Festiva LX :fred:
                  '12 Ford Focus

Comment

No Problemo. I need to do mine as well. Not really having a problem with oil in my air box, but my VC is leaking badly. Kind of want to paint mine while I have it off, so been putting it off. Should have just grabbed the VC from the pick a part car at Madness. So I could have taken my time. Oh well, just what I was looking for, an excuse to hit a j/y.

Should be cool enough here now to do it safely. :roll:

Comment

sixthirtytwo, we also have a repair help forum if youd like to pose future repair problems there. Just a suggestion
                      sigpic
                      The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                      https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                      Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Good idea Fresh!
                        So it is said so it has been done!
                        '92 Aqua parts Car
                        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
                          Good idea Fresh!
                          So it is said so it has been done!

Drat, I should have wished for something better.
                          sigpic
                          The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                          https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                          Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Sorry. I didn't even think about it. Jumped the gun. It's an 89' L manual tranny.

89' L

Comment

Sixthirtytwo, confirm then you have a carbie and a 4 spd (might be a 5spd if swaped)
                              '92 Aqua parts Car
                              '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Working...
                              X