No announcement yet.

Help me please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know that I am adding this late, but this full oil when cold, low oil after running sounds like poor oil return-partially clogged oil return passages. This would make any leak in the cyl head area much worse. You can check this while doing the vc gasket.
    186,000 miles per second is not just a good idea, it's the law

1990 yellow L+ (l8ly)
    1990 yellow L+ (sunryz)
    1992 aqua L (agua)
    1993 blue L (aurora)

Comment

Originally posted by hot4dl8ly View Post
      I know that I am adding this late, but this full oil when cold, low oil after running sounds like poor oil return-partially clogged oil return passages. This would make any leak in the cyl head area much worse. You can check this while doing the vc gasket.
      How do I go about checking it? Someone did suggest that to me but was very short about it.
      Product of 2 red blooded blue collared lovers.

89' L

Comment

Agree with hot4dl8l, but would seem if oil returns are clogged that the oil pick up screen would also be clogged causing low oil pressure at least at startup.

Sixthirtytwo, you asked for help.
        People are providing it.
        It would be to your benefit to provide answers to questions asked of you.
        '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
        '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
        '92 Aqua parts Car
        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
        '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
        Your holy ghost will not save you.
        Your God plutonium will not save you.
        In fact...
        ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

What didn't I answer? I have an 89 L 4 speed manual.

89' L

Comment

Yours is a carbie car, yes? 4 speed or 5 speed swapped?
            This matters due to the fuel pump gasket issue having come up.
            I'm assuming carbed since it's an 89L Manual Tranny. Just trying to be sure.

Also, have you had a chance to clean the engine bay up yet?

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
            1989 L - 247K miles Slick
            1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
            Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

If its white smoke it will be from the automatic transmission...could be a defective kick down valve.
              "all I ask is the chance to prove that money won't make me happy":simon:

Comment

It is a carbie. 4 speed tranny. I have cleaned the entire engine bay. Numerous times in fact due to how bad the oil was. When I first bought the car and tuned it up it began to leak oil so bad it covered the engine bay. Mostly due to a loose oil pan which I tightened. After that it was just the leak I described before.

89' L

Comment

I know this is an old thread, but I am having a problem with oil in my breather tube. It hasn't made to the air filter, but the tube it self had quite a bit of oil in it. I took the valve cover off and did not see the other seal that batstiva was talking about. Can anyone give me any advise as to where it might be? My car is an 89' fuel injected.

'89 Ford Festiva LX :fred:
                  '12 Ford Focus

Comment

^^ You are correct, the FIs were different, but you should still have a seal below the breather tube. I snapped some pics of my FI VC I got from eurotiva. The fist is the whole underside of the VC. Second is the seal that should be covering the breather tube nipple. Third is the seal under the PCV. Is this what yours looks like? Don't have a picture of it, but the carbies basically have one of those that seal off the PCV and breather tubes all in one.

Comment

My valve cover has the same plate, but it goes the whole lenght of the valve cover. Do I have to pull that plate or does the seal go around or under that plate, or is the plate the seal you were talking about? I recently bought a complete gasket set when I pulled my engine and used all of the gaskets that applied to the car. I even replaced the PVC valve. I dont remember any oil being in the breather tube when I attacked the engine. Not sure what the heck is going on. The oil hasn't made it to the air filter, it just puddles up into the tube.

'12 Ford Focus

Comment

If I am understanding you correctly, if it goes all the way across the valve cover then it's for a carbed engine, but if it has two seals then it's for a FI engine. Mine goes all the way across the valve cover.

Originally posted by batstiva View Post
                        ^^ You are correct, the FIs were different, but you should still have a seal below the breather tube. I snapped some pics of my FI VC I got from eurotiva. The fist is the whole underside of the VC. Second is the seal that should be covering the breather tube nipple. Third is the seal under the PCV. Is this what yours looks like? Don't have a picture of it, but the carbies basically have one of those that seal off the PCV and breather tubes all in one.

'12 Ford Focus

Comment

Today I went to fix this issue as I've been putting it off for awhile now. Mainly due to money and time issues. I ordered a valve cover gasket and what I believed was the gasket inside the valve cover. When I went to pick up the parts, there was not a gasket for the inside. We looked to see if we could find the part needed but to no luck. The guy at the parts store told me to stroll across the street to the Ford dealer to see if I could come up with a part number. The parts and service guy at Ford had no luck finding it either. He told me I'd need to buy the whole valve cover. No thank you. Went to a major chain parts store, guess what? no luck there.

Does this gasket exist? If so can I get a parts number? or a piece to the puzzle? If not, then does anyone have a valve cover with a good gasket they would like to sell? Please help me out. I love the car but hate washing the motor once a week.

In other Festiva news I picked up some arm rests, a clock cover since mine was broke, a cover for my passenger side mirror, a new lock for the gas door which is worn enough to open with my key, and some fuses to replace the fusible links. Also put some paint on the grille I picked up last time I was at the jy. All in all a good day.
                          Last edited by sixthirtytwo; 11-20-2009, 05:52 PM.

89' L

Comment

murrilcg, now that I think about it, that VC might be from an Aspire, which I guess would be different underneath. Never messed with Aspires, so not sure. Can an Aspire owner confirm this?

sixthirtytwo, the last VC gasket I bought came as a set with the VC gasket, and the other one I'm talking about. Searched several McParts websites, and Rock Auto, and I don't see it either. I'm going to hit the parts place where I got my last set and see if they have any with the two gaskets, or if they don't even carry what I got anymore. I'll post up tomorrow if I find what I'm talking about. Can you confirm that the underneath of your VC has one continuous plate, and is not like the picture I posted? If I can find what I'm talking about, I'll grab 2. One for me, and one for you, if you want, and we can figure out how to get it to Ohio. Sound like a plan?

Comment

Originally posted by batstiva View Post
                              murrilcg, now that I think about it, that VC might be from an Aspire, which I guess would be different underneath. Never messed with Aspires, so not sure. Can an Aspire owner confirm this?

sixthirtytwo, the last VC gasket I bought came as a set with the VC gasket, and the other one I'm talking about. Searched several McParts websites, and Rock Auto, and I don't see it either. I'm going to hit the parts place where I got my last set and see if they have any with the two gaskets, or if they don't even carry what I got anymore. I'll post up tomorrow if I find what I'm talking about. Can you confirm that the underneath of your VC has one continuous plate, and is not like the picture I posted? If I can find what I'm talking about, I'll grab 2. One for me, and one for you, if you want, and we can figure out how to get it to Ohio. Sound like a plan?

You are the man!! It is one continuous plate/gasket. The first place I went when i ordered it, said it came as 2 pieces, but when I opened it at the store it was the main vc gasket and all the little grommets for the bolts. Not the inside gasket. If you can find it I can paypal you or figure something out. I am greatly appreciative of the help so far. Thank you.

89' L

Comment

Just a suggestion:

When you have the cover off, look at the oil drain back holes. They can become partially clogged with sludge. That may be why you have an excessive oil leak (oil pooling in the valve cover) and would also explain the low oil level immediately after shutting it off.
                                It should not take very long for the oil to return to the pan. If you wait 20-30 seconds after you shut it off and then check the oil, it should read full or at least pretty close.
                                (not bone dry like you stated earlier). The oil passages don't hold much oil, and besides, they are always full so they should have no effect on the oil level reading. There needs to be enough oil in the pan at all times for splash lubrication by the crank counterweights.

I have seen this happen several times, especially when the oil has not been changed regularly and/or the car is driven short distances and in stop and go traffic.
                                Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                                04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                                62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                                Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Working...
                                X