No announcement yet.

Dreaded linkage problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soak it down with PB Blast now and it may not be so bad.
    Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
    - Unknown
    I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
    - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
    - Bumper Sticker

Comment

Or just count on that bolt being toast. i really hate to see that! You may want to consider sacrificing the nut so the bolt can be salvaged if you have to. It really looks like it could snap even with the penetrating oil. I have one of the assemblies here, and maybe I can look to see what the size of the bolt is, and if it has a special sized shank before the threads or somrthing specialized like that.
      Have owned 9 so far
      White 89 L converted to LX "The Curmudgeon" Being a Curmudgeon right now.
      Blue 89 L converted to LX "Shtinky" FMS crate engine,cam,flywheel,hail dents
      Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!
      Red 88 L converted to LX "Rasta, Mon" Now retired
      Where did all these @#*&%$ Toyotas come from around here?

Comment

Here are a couple of pictures for reference:
        I just tried to pull the bolt on this shifter, and it is going to take some time to get IT loose!
        I will try again tommorow when I get back in here at the shop in the morning.

Michael
        Last edited by m715; 11-03-2009, 05:13 PM.
        Have owned 9 so far
        Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!

Comment

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't there a roller bearing setup inside that joint?
          Have owned 9 so far

Comment

Well, if there is, I think I can safely say, mine is shot!
            The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
            89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Comment

Originally posted by M715
              Or just count on that bolt being toast. i really hate to see that! You may want to consider sacrificing the nut so the bolt can be salvaged if you have to. It really looks like it could snap even with the penetrating oil. I have one of the assemblies here, and maybe I can look to see what the size of the bolt is, and if it has a special sized shank before the threads or somrthing specialized like that.

Yes at hardware store I couldn't find a bolt with the exact shafted length on it like the stock shafts. They were either to short or too long Save The Bolt!
              Last edited by Pu241; 11-03-2009, 06:04 PM.
              93 L B6T DD http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=37751
              RIP_90 LuX http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=32249
              RIP 88 LX / B8-MEhttp://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=26398

RJ

Comment

If I can't find something to work, I guess I can always use the stick off of partstiva. I just didn't want a hole in the floor for the critters to climb through.
                The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:

Comment

i didn't reuse the old one i put a new bolt didn't have the end like the original and mine works great.

Comment

Originally posted by m715 View Post
                    Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't there a roller bearing setup inside that joint?
                    no roller bearing....it is the bolt and bushings. It is a special bolt that fits through and then the nut stops in the proper place once tightened. But if you have to you can use another bolt...but you will want something like a nylon lock nut so it will stay in place when tightened.
                    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                    89L Silver EFI auto
                    91GL Green Auto DD
                    There ain't no rest for the wicked
                    until we close our eyes for good.
                    I will sleep when I die!
                    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Here are pics of it disassembled. IIRC the two bushings are Mazda PN B001-46-062, same as on the other end of the shift rod at the transaxle. The roller bearing I was thinking of is on the stabilizer bar at the transaxle.

HTH
                      Michael
                      Have owned 9 so far

Comment

I ended up going to Lowe's and got a 1/4" bolt, with a 1.5" spacer that made it 3/8", and a lock nut. It has made a huge difference, but it still has a little more slop than my '89 4spd. I have included some pictures. I know, it's rusty and messy...
                        New bushings for Ford (part # E7GZ-7A133-A):

New bushings installed under stick:

Bushings at trans.:

Is there supposed to be a gap here? It is messy like it had been leaking for a while, but I am not sure if that is it leaking or just running down onto it. Any suggestions?

My Fleet:

Comment

Originally posted by doylerl View Post
                          Is there supposed to be a gap here? It is messy like it had been leaking for a while, but I am not sure if that is it leaking or just running down onto it. Any suggestions?
                          Yes that gap is supposed to be there. It acts as a weep hole for oil that manages to leak past the rear engine seal.

Only way to tell where all that oil is coming from is to clean it up and watch it every day for as long as it takes to find the source. The distributor is located on the engine directly above the rear engine seal, so it is very possible that much of the oil could be coming from a bad o-ring on the distributor. Certainly check that before replacing the seal.

John Gunn
                          Coronado, CA
                          John Gunn
                          Coronado, CA

Improving anything
                          Improves everything. Copyright 2011 John Gunn

Comment

Working...
                          X